Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corporate welfare needs to stop
(06-10-2015, 08:29 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: do you honestly think we would need tax breaks for alternate energy if oil wasn't subsidized and the corporations had to pay taxes?

This too......subsidize to make idiotic decisions that lead to environmental disasters.  

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-10-2015, 08:29 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: do you honestly think we would need tax breaks for alternate energy if oil wasn't subsidized and the corporations had to pay taxes?

Yes.  Long story short, alternatives are nowhere near as cost effective or efficient as burning fossil fuels unless you look at energy production during a very long time frame.  Investing in something that takes almost a lifetime to see good return on investment is not the free market's forte.
The format has changed on my phone and I can't figure out how to quote.

To answer SCS question, yes but I was meaning tax breaks for companies to use alternative energy.

For WW I wasn't directing it anyone in particular, I just think a lot of people don't realize that there is probably corporate welfare that they support.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-10-2015, 11:06 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The format has changed on my phone and I can't figure out how to quote.  

To answer SCS question, yes but I was meaning tax breaks for companies to use alternative energy.

For WW I wasn't directing it anyone in particular, I just think a lot of people don't realize that there is probably corporate welfare that they support.

It's a left-pointing arrow at the bottom of the post, or the chat bubbles to quote more than one person.

You are right about the corporate welfare point. Everyone has something they would support. The thing is that people need to learn that sacrifices need to be made to compromise and improve things here. Part if the problem is the resistance to those sacrifices on Capitol Hill.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-10-2015, 11:06 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The format has changed on my phone and I can't figure out how to quote.  

I don't.  I probably would support some of it if the elite, and their bought and paid for cronies in DC, weren't demonizing every poor individual as lazy or milking the system, and wanting to cut their throats.  Some are, there is no doubt, there are also those who work for a living and have to have the assistance to survive......and it shames them to no end to have to do that.  So, in my eyes, what's good for the goose, is good for the gander.  These lazy, no account, mooching corporations can kick in their fair share and get off the teat!  LOL

(06-10-2015, 11:19 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's a left-pointing arrow at the bottom of the post, or the chat bubbles to quote more than one person.

You are right about the corporate welfare point. Everyone has something they would support. The thing is that people need to learn that sacrifices need to be made to compromise and improve things here. Part if the problem is the resistance to those sacrifices on Capitol Hill.

This is a HUGE part of it for me......that and the legalized bribery.  Those crooks have no shame.....

(06-10-2015, 11:19 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's a left-pointing arrow at the bottom of the post, or the chat bubbles to quote more than one person.

Got it.  Thank you.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-10-2015, 05:48 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Sure let's just give away $18 million in taxpayer funds so another country can buy equipment from the military industrial complex.

(06-10-2015, 12:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'll stop when the powerful elite stop.

I think that tax reform for corporations is needed. But it cracks me up to see people using terms like the ones I bolded, then claiming they think for themselves.
(06-11-2015, 10:18 AM)Beaker Wrote: I think that tax reform for corporations is needed. But it cracks me up to see people using terms like the ones I bolded, then claiming they think for themselves.

Should we take this as saying that you don't believe that a powerful elite group of people or military industrial complex exist?  Are the Koch heirs and corrupt deals with defense contractors a figment of our imaginations?
(06-11-2015, 07:46 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Should we take this as saying that you don't believe that a powerful elite group of people or military industrial complex exist?  Are the Koch heirs and corrupt deals with defense contractors a figment of our imaginations?

If you read research or studies that other people have done you are not "thinking for yourself".

Have you actually seen the Koch brothers money in person?  If not, then believing in them means you don't "think for yourself".
Those Koch's make me so maaaaad. Grrrrrrr!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

(06-11-2015, 07:46 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Should we take this as saying that you don't believe that a powerful elite group of people or military industrial complex exist?  Are the Koch heirs and corrupt deals with defense contractors a figment of our imaginations?

I already said reform is needed, indicating acceptance of some wrong-doings. Parroting rhetorical terms doesn't require much thought.
(06-12-2015, 11:02 AM)Beaker Wrote: I already said reform is needed, indicating acceptance of some wrong-doings. Parroting rhetorical terms doesn't require much thought.

I think the use of military industrial complex is apropos. To the subject matter.
(06-12-2015, 03:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If you read research or studies that other people have done you are not "thinking for yourself".

Have you actually seen the Koch brothers money in person?  If not, then believing in them means you don't "think for yourself".

Excellent point! In order to think for one's self you must never read any sort of research or article and draw conclusions based on it because that might taint your thinking! You know, everyone who uses the English language to describe their thoughts really needs to create their own language and think for themselves. Parroting words that have already been invented by other people doesn't really require much thought. Fheuein wufeudn wudhd753 73):)twhbf!
(06-12-2015, 02:31 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Excellent point! In order to think for one's self you must never read any sort of research or article and draw conclusions based on it because that might taint your thinking! You know, everyone who uses the English language to describe their thoughts really needs to create their own language and think for themselves. Parroting words that have already been invented by other people doesn't really require much thought. Fheuein wufeudn wudhd753 73):)twhbf!

I don't know you too well, but I know fred pretty good. Fred and I agree on some things, don't agree on many others, but generally have a healthy respect for one another. I know fred is a fairly intelligent poster. And I know fred looks deeper at many issues than most. In fact, he is one of the few who I do think loos at the info and draws his own conclusions. What I am asking him (and others) to do is SOUND as intelligent as you are in your posts. When you use rhetorical terms such as "weathy elite", "big corporations", "military industrial complex" and others, it make you sound like the idiots who just parrot back what they hear the talking heads say on the news magazine programs. Now I know fred will get what I am saying/asking. It remains to be seen if you do.
(06-12-2015, 02:48 PM)Beaker Wrote: I don't know you too well, but I know fred pretty good. Fred and I agree on some things, don't agree on many others, but generally have a healthy respect for one another. I know fred is a fairly intelligent poster. And I know fred looks deeper at many issues than most. In fact, he is one of the few who I do think loos at the info and draws his own conclusions. What I am asking him (and others) to do is SOUND as intelligent as you are in your posts. When you use rhetorical terms such as "weathy elite", "big corporations", "military industrial complex" and others, it make you sound like the idiots who just parrot back what they hear the talking heads say on the news magazine programs. Now I know fred will get what I am saying/asking. It remains to be seen if you do.
Again, the use of military industrial complex is apropos to this topic.  The Defense Secretary pledged equipment produced by a defense contractor while simultaneously awarding a no bid contract to the manufacturer.  It doesn't get any more military industrial complex than that.
(06-12-2015, 03:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Again, the use of military industrial complex is apropos to this topic.  The Defense Secretary pledged equipment produced by a defense contractor while simultaneously awarding a no bid contract to the manufacturer.  It doesn't get any more military industrial complex than that.

Other than just saying what it is....like you did in bold....rather than using a rhetorical term like I indicated. Again, like I said....try at least to SOUND more intelligent. Thats not an attack on you, its a request that in the long term will help this forum develop into a true discussion forum rather than a mudslinging pit.
(06-12-2015, 03:06 PM)Beaker Wrote: Other than just saying what it is....like you did in bold....rather than using a rhetorical term like I indicated. Again, like I said....try at least to SOUND more intelligent. Thats not an attack on you, its a request that in the long term will help this forum develop into a true discussion forum rather than a mudslinging pit.
I don't see a problem using a phrase appropriately.
(06-12-2015, 03:35 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I don't see a problem using a phrase appropriately.

I dont see a problem trying to up your game.
(06-12-2015, 04:45 PM)Beaker Wrote: I dont see a problem trying to up your game.

Are you really insulting my intelligence after what you wrote about true discussion and mudslinging?