Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could 8-0 Steelers be Taylors '03 Kansas City?
Same situation.  New head coach with a losing career record desperately needs a big win to turn around the program.  faces undefeated opponenet.

Pitt... 8-0
KC.... 9-0

Marvin gets the big win and has a winning record over the rest of the season.  Over the next 12 years only has 2 losing seasons, compiles the tenth best record in the league, and makes the playoffs 7 times.

Hopefully if Taylor pulls it off we win some of those playoff games.

Plus a win over the Steelers would be a thousand times bigger than that win over the Chiefs just because it is the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
I don’t think this team is as good as the 03 team and I don’t think Taylor is as good of a coach as Marv was.
Reply/Quote
Who on the team is gonna come out and guarantee the win?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 08:40 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Who on the team is gonna come out and guarantee the win?

Mixon?
Reply/Quote
Marvin was 4-5 in year 1.

Taylor is 4-19-1 in year 2.

So Marvin had as many wins in only 9 games as Taylor did in 24. So I think the overall feeling surrounding each coach was completely different.

We went from having virtually no success over the previous 13 years to immediately being respectable. That KC game had the enire fanbase beleiving that maybe things would finally be different. The entire town was excited coming off that win. For a rookie HC to have us at 5-5 was amazing. Especially when many thought '03 was a throwaway rebuilding year, where our new franchise QB was shelved for a learning year.

Taylor, on the other hand, I think is basically at the point where needs wins like these to just convince anyone he wasn't a complete disaster of a hire.

All that said, I definitely think we can win on Sunday. This is the NFL afterall, and the Steelers aren't nearly as good as their record suggest. But I can't see a win this week coming anywhere close to what we saw in '03. Completely different circumstances.
Reply/Quote
Totally different situations. Marvin had the respect of the locker room, he ran arguably the greatest defense in league history. Taylor’s still trying to prove he belongs in the meeting rooms. We were in a much greater position then to pull the upset back then from a coaching perspective. I’ve yet to see a game where I thought “wow, we really out coached these guys.”

Tomlin’s been out coaching guys since Taylor was in college.

But time will tell.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 07:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Same situation.  New head coach with a losing career record desperately needs a big win to turn around the program.  faces undefeated opponenet.

Pitt... 8-0
KC.... 9-0

Marvin gets the big win and has a winning record over the rest of the season.  Over the next 12 years only has 2 losing seasons, compiles the tenth best record in the league, and makes the playoffs 7 times.

Hopefully if Taylor pulls it off we win some of those playoff games.

Plus a win over the Steelers would be a thousand times bigger than that win over the Chiefs just because it is the Steelers.

Marvin and Zac Taylor each had 4 wins as a HC bearded into those respective games too... It took one of them 9 games to get there.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 08:48 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Mixon?

He seems to be the only one with the personality to do it, but I think Higgins should be the guy... 85 and all.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 08:59 PM)jason Wrote: He seems to be the only one with the personality to do it, but I think Higgins should be the guy... 85 and all.

I’d argue Boyd has that personality
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 09:01 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’d argue Boyd has that personality

Him too... I think it was the both of them screaming last year that no one could beat them when they were on... Laughable statement, but I admire their spirit.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I see a chance to beat Pittsburgh, so with the negativity to your OP Fred, I will take it one game at a time and cross my fingers, toes, testicles and whatever else I have two of. Hell, I'll even cross my two ex wives.

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 09:22 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I see a chance to beat Pittsburgh, so with the negativity to your OP Fred, I will take it one game at a time and cross my fingers, toes, testicles and whatever else I have two of. Hell, I'll even cross my two ex wives.

OUCH!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
If we beat Pittsburgh, there's a chance, Albeit a snowballs chance, we win against Washington, Giants, Dolphins, and Cowboys. Then we face Pittsburgh again. WTH, we beat em once, we can beat em twice. Then a good win over Houston will give us the confidence to beat the hell out of Baltimore. Sounds good to me. So, I'm sayin, if we beat the 8-0 Steelers, we may win out the season and go 10-5-1.

Sound crazy? I think not! Stranger things have happened in this world.

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 09:28 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If we beat Pittsburgh, there's a chance, Albeit a snowballs chance, we win against Washington, Giants, Dolphins, and Cowboys. Then we face Pittsburgh again. WTH, we beat em once, we can beat em twice. Then a good win over Houston will give us the confidence to beat the hell out of Baltimore. Sounds good to me. So, I'm sayin, if we beat the 8-0 Steelers, we may win out the season and go 10-5-1.

Sound crazy? I think not! Stranger things have happened in this world.

When in 2020.....why the hell not?!
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 08:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Marvin was 4-5 in year 1.

Taylor is 4-19-1 in year 2.

So Marvin had as many wins in only 9 games as Taylor did in 24.  So I think the overall feeling surrounding each coach was completely different.

We went from having virtually no success over the previous 13 years to immediately being respectable.  That KC game had the enire fanbase beleiving that maybe things would finally be different.  The entire town was excited coming off that win.  For a rookie HC to have us at 5-5 was amazing.  Especially when many thought '03 was a throwaway rebuilding year, where our new franchise QB was shelved for a learning year.

Taylor, on the other hand, I think is basically at the point where needs wins like these to just convince anyone he wasn't a complete disaster of a hire.

All that said, I definitely think we can win on Sunday.  This is the NFL afterall, and the Steelers aren't nearly as good as their record suggest.  But I can't see a win this week coming anywhere close to what we saw in '03.  Completely different circumstances.

I agree with all the points you make, but I think a win over the Steelers would lift this fanbase more than that win over the Chiefs simply because It is the #&$@% STEELERS!!!!
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 09:27 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: OUCH!!!!!!!

I didn't say I could hold it for 3hrs. Hell, I don't even know if its possible. But wearing my wifes thong backwards, and some duct tape, a couple rubber bands and piercings? I might be able to achieve it. Remember, if we beat the Steelers this weekend, the sacrifice that was made. That's all I'm sayin!

Reply/Quote
We got a new group of guys that haven't yet felt the sting of constant Steeler beat downs.

You know damn well Burrow, Higgins, Boyd and I hope Mixon comes to play. Confidence will be high it will be up to our defense if we can hold off a back up QB and the Steelers run game.

I think if Bengals put up 25-30 points they win.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
no.
Reply/Quote
Ironically in that Chiefs game, a young 1st RD failure
At WR named Peter Warrick had his best ever as
A Bengal. Warrick had 2 -60 yd plus scoring plays in a span
Of 10 minutes.
It might take a big game from a forgotten player to to be a deciding
Factor. Plus the game is in.Pittsburgh.the Cats rarely beat
The Steelers at Heinz.
Sorry but Alex Erickson isnt scoring 2 TDs Sunday.
He cant even.cross midfield on a punt return
Reply/Quote
As for the Chiefs game I left my first born and his mom in the hospital for just this game to go home and watch and I still dont regret it lol.. Neither does my 17 year old son now lol
Reply/Quote