Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could this be Mike Brown's last year?
(09-26-2017, 02:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So you think Marvin decided not to extend Zeitler? It's Bengals Management. They're the ones that pocket the money that is not spend. No way would a coach care about that.

I thought Marvin Lewis believe the front office was going to sign Whitt and zeitler
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 02:25 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I thought Marvin Lewis believe the front office was going to sign Whitt and zeitler

From what I read...the Bengals NEVER even negotiated with Zeitler. They just weren't going to spend that type of money on a Guard. Not even to a contact like DeCastro signed.

With less cap space than us, the Steelers:
-Extended Brown
-Extended Tuitt
-Kept DeCastro
-Tagged Bell
-Extended Villaneueva

-And signed Haden
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 03:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: From what I read...the Bengals NEVER even negotiated with Zeitler. They just weren't going to spend that type of money on a Guard. Not even to a contact like DeCastro signed.

If true, that's a result of a FRONT OFFICE decision, not a Marvin Lewis decision. Hopefully, that was a MIKE BROWN decision and even Katie would've at least negotiated with Zeitler.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
MAN was I hoping for some type of source when I clicked on this thread Sad

Anyone on these forums by chance have the money to buy the team from Brown?! We will be great hands!
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 01:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There is no way that this is the offensive line that Marvin wanted. There is also no way that Marvin Lewis wanted to go into the season with $18.6 million in cap space.

What seems like the pecking order--

Mike--even if he isn't as much involved, final say is still his.
Katie or Troy or whoever--
Paul Alexander--this is the line HE wanted.
Marvin--Yes, he is still handcuffed to a degree, but he has failed miserably in his own right.  It's like he got the Bengals to the point of relevance, freaked out and still can't find the next step and, at this point, never will.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 03:08 PM)PhilHos Wrote: If true, that's a result of a FRONT OFFICE decision, not a Marvin Lewis decision. Hopefully, that was a MIKE BROWN decision and even Katie would've at least negotiated with Zeitler.

It's absolutely true. Here's the link. Check out the Katherine Terrell post too that says Zeitler said there were 0 talks between the Bengals during the season BEFORE he was a free agent too. Maybe had they offered him $9-10 million a year, he stays?

https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/839988134033149955
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 03:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's absolutely true. Here's the link. Check out the Katherine Terrell post too that says Zeitler said there were 0 talks between the Bengals during the season BEFORE he was a free agent too. Maybe had they offered him $9-10 million a year, he stays?

I'm pretty sure Lap has said they knew when they drafted him they would never offer him a 2nd contract.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
And here from Bengals.com:

By opting out on Whitworth and Zeitler, the Bengals stayed true to two of their basic principles. Whitworth is coming off his third Pro Bowl season and was ranked as the NFL's second best pass-protecting tackle by profootballfocus.com. But since he's 35, the Bengals were wary of  multiple years. So Whitworth took a three-year deal with the Rams that featured $13 million guaranteed this year. The Bengals detest moving money into future years of their salary cap, particulalry with older players that may not make it to those years but the team still picks up some of the charges.

And, they don't pay guards big money. Zeitler is at the top of his game. He was rated the best guard on the market after not missing a snap in 2017. That translated to $12 million per year, but the Bengals don't believe guards win enough games on their own to warrant top of the market money. The Bengals didn't offer a contract but told his agent, "If you don't get what you want, come back."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Facelift/6f86968a-e26b-4fa0-95c3-75c043ecf393
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 03:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And here from Bengals.com:

By opting out on Whitworth and Zeitler, the Bengals stayed true to two of their basic principles. Whitworth is coming off his third Pro Bowl season and was ranked as the NFL's second best pass-protecting tackle by profootballfocus.com. But since he's 35, the Bengals were wary of  multiple years. So Whitworth took a three-year deal with the Rams that featured $13 million guaranteed this year. The Bengals detest moving money into future years of their salary cap, particulalry with older players that may not make it to those years but the team still picks up some of the charges.

And, they don't pay guards big money. Zeitler is at the top of his game. He was rated the best guard on the market after not missing a snap in 2017. That translated to $12 million per year, but the Bengals don't believe guards win enough games on their own to warrant top of the market money. The Bengals didn't offer a contract but told his agent, "If you don't get what you want, come back."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Facelift/6f86968a-e26b-4fa0-95c3-75c043ecf393

Dear God, please let Katie understand the importance of an offensive line AND the guard's importance to the line as well so we don't ever have a repeat of this.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 03:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's absolutely true. Here's the link. Check out the Katherine Terrell post too that says Zeitler said there were 0 talks between the Bengals during the season BEFORE he was a free agent too. Maybe had they offered him $9-10 million a year, he stays?

I believe the Bengals and Zeitler's agent were talking an extension until DeCastro's new deal was announced. Both sides decided to hold off, but we basically knew he wasn't coming back. Zeitler even had a going away party after the season, well before free agency.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 04:31 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I believe the Bengals and Zeitler's agent were talking an extension until DeCastro's new deal was announced. Both sides decided to hold off, but we basically knew he wasn't coming back. Zeitler even had a going away party after the season, well before free agency.

Really is $9-10 million a year too much for a Top 7 Guard? That's what we probably could have signed him for before DeCastro signed.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 04:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Really is $9-10 million a year too much for a Top 7 Guard? That's what we probably could have signed him for before DeCastro signed.

Yes, but then we wouldn't have had almost $20 million to head into the season that we'll need for ... ummm ... SOMEthing. /sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 04:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Really is $9-10 million a year too much for a Top 7 Guard? That's what we probably could have signed him for before DeCastro signed.

I would've signed him asap for that. I believe they were in the $8 million range (rumored) and that's as high as they were willing to go.

(09-26-2017, 04:44 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yes, but then we wouldn't have had almost $20 million to head into the season that we'll need for ... ummm ... SOMEthing. /sarcasm

Well Hobson has told us that we need to save that money for the TE that's broken AGAIN.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 04:48 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I would've signed him asap for that. I believe they were in the $8 million range (rumored) and that's as high as they were willing to go.

Well Hobson has told us that we need to save that money for the TE that's broken AGAIN.

Well they signed Andre Smith for $3 million to sparingly play. Why not offer Zeitler a 4 year, $38 million deal to see if he accepts it?

For all the praise the Bengals get for managing the salary cap...they do a terrible job realizing that the salary cap rises by about $10 million a year in the NFL...therefore salaries escalate accordingly.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 04:48 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I would've signed him asap for that. I believe they were in the $8 million range (rumored) and that's as high as they were willing to go.

That 8 number is higher than what I've heard. 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 01:29 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Mike will be on his death bed still pulling the strings on this team.

All that cash he's rolling over and not spending on FAs is going towards his cryogenic head jar.

[Image: th?id=OIP.VgREf5FfLOtoOuu3wEtfWQD6C8&pid...=237&h=179]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Not a chance in hell!
Reply/Quote
Where the hell do people get this cap like "it's marvins team"????? Sure, him and MIKE BROWN'S hand picked group of idiots put together the absolute worst garbage offensive line I have ever seen. Almost 20 million in cap space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 12:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I love how people think that turning the team over to his daughter will yield totally different results.

She's learned the business from her dad for HER ENTIRE LIFE.

What makes you think during that training that she developed drastically different views from his?

I wonder if Paul Brown trained Mike. I believe Mike just went through the motions just waitin to inherit the team!

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 12:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Sorry, no rumors or any reason to think this except for my own musings.

However, let's suppose during this 50th Season the Bengals set a new low and go 0-16. Would that be enough for Mike Brown to officially step away and renounce ALL decision making duties and turn the team over officially to Katie?
This is supposed to be a banner year for the Bengals and they turn in their worst season in history. Would it be enough for MB to finally just walk away (figuratively speaking)?

Now, to his credit, Brown has given up a lot of control to Marvin, Tobin and Katie already. But, would he make it official and say he has NO authority anymore over the Bengals?

I know we all wish he would retire already, but would he?

I think this gets blown way out of proportion. I think Mike agreed to give up some power (verbally) to get Marvin to re-up. But it was more lip-service than anything else. In other words he's still running the vast majority of the show.

And to answer your question, no I don't think he'll step away until his health just won't let him do it anymore. I think Mike fancies himself a great GM ! And only bad player selection, bad luck, the football gods or whatever have kept him from winning it all.
Reply/Quote