Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covid-19 Testing Coming To Northern Kentucky!
Not yet, but Covid-19 tests will be available May 11th through the 18th in Erlanger, which is only 5 miles away from me.  

It's only for people who show symptoms and for those at-risk or who have weakened immune systems (I'm very much at-risk and have a weakened immune system), and I've been feeling like I've had pneumonia lately, so this all has been freaking me out because the symptoms are also apparently similar to Coronavirus symptoms.  

I haven't been around anyone other than my sister and brother-in-law, and they don't appear to have it, so I don't know how I could have gotten it, unless they're asymptomatic or it came through food delivery or a delivery I had of bourbon, but it would still be nice to put my mind at ease.

Like I said, I highly, highly, highly doubt that I have it, but this would help put my mind at ease.

My birthday's on the 8th, so I can get a celebration in and then get tested a few days later  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
That's good, but at this point, testing is not going to do a lot of good.

Early testing could have helped isolate those possibly infected, reducing their contact. With little to no testing the first couple months, people who might not have spread it instead likely assumed they had cold or respiratory infection.

My doctor thought I had it back in March,but tests were restricted to healthcare workers and politicians, so no test. My wife, a nurse, likely got it from me. And even she couldn't get tested, so she likely passed it to her patients. And so on.

But at least it'll help ease some minds I guess.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 09:19 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Not yet, but Covid-19 tests will be available May 11th through the 18th in Erlanger, which is only 5 miles away from me.  

It's only for people who show symptoms and for those at-risk or who have weakened immune systems (I'm very much at-risk and have a weakened immune system), and I've been feeling like I've had pneumonia lately, so this all has been freaking me out because the symptoms are also apparently similar to Coronavirus symptoms.  

I haven't been around anyone other than my sister and brother-in-law, and they don't appear to have it, so I don't know how I could have gotten it, unless they're asymptomatic or it came through food delivery or a delivery I had of bourbon, but it would still be nice to put my mind at ease.

Like I said, I highly, highly, highly doubt that I have it, but this would help put my mind at ease.

My birthday's on the 8th, so I can get a celebration in and then get tested a few days later  ThumbsUp

That article doesn't indicate what type of Covid-19 test they are doing.  Is it diagnostic PCR testing to determine if you currently are infected with Covid-19?  Or is it antibody testing to determine if you were exposed in the past few months?

I'd call to find out which test they're doing because if they are doing antibody testing that won't tell you if your current pneumonia like symptoms are due to Covid-19.
Reply/Quote
I'd prefer highly accurate anti body tests vs. a "do you have coronavirus right now?" which is something that probably has to happen on a high frequency.

Cleveland Clinic does not have any antibody test ready or anticipate one soon, ProMedica in Ohio is doing antibody tests.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2020, 10:09 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I'd prefer highly accurate anti body tests vs. a "do you have coronavirus right now?" which is something that probably has to happen on a high frequency.

Cleveland Clinic does not have any antibody test ready or anticipate one soon, ProMedica in Ohio is doing antibody tests.

You have it backwards. In general, PCR testing is more accurate than antibody testing. Antibody tests don’t tell you if you have the infection, but only if you may have had it in the past. And if doing an IgG test, it can take your body up to 4-6 weeks for your body to produce enough of the antibodies for a positive result. So a negative test within the first 4-6 weeks after the infection doesn’t rule out the possibility you had the infection. With the FDA emergency use authorization manufacturers don’t have to submit any validation data proving the sensitivity and specificity of their tests.
Reply/Quote
Thought this would be a good thread to bump instead of creating a new one.

Seems the pandemic is not done with us yet. But talks of vaccines are promising and there;s discussion about therapeutics.

Just wanted to bump this to remind folks to stay safe and hang in there.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2020, 08:26 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You have it backwards. In general, PCR testing is more accurate than antibody testing. Antibody tests don’t tell you if you have the infection, but only if you may have had it in the past.  And if doing an IgG test, it can take your body up to 4-6 weeks for your body to produce enough of the antibodies for a positive result. So a negative test within the first 4-6 weeks after the infection doesn’t rule out the possibility you had the infection. With the FDA emergency use authorization manufacturers don’t have to submit any validation data proving the sensitivity and specificity of their tests.

Without a vaccine, it would be nice to know if someone has had the infection and how long the antibodies last. Otherwise, we need to be tested frequently (daily?) at work and school. Are we there yet? I'm thinking no, even with some businesses still refusing to follow best practices and even making fun of it. Politicizing science has been one of the worst things of 2020.

Also if someone has antibodies currently, is it still possible for them to spread the virus?

We need to live life as if a vaccine isn't coming, although it will, we just don't know when.

Don't know where you guys live but we have plenty of people having parties still and likely breaking any dewine edict for thanksgiviing.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 06:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thought this would be a good thread to bump instead of creating a new one.

Seems the pandemic is not done with us yet. But talks of vaccines are promising and there;s discussion about therapeutics.

Just wanted to bump this to remind folks to stay safe and hang in there.
Just saw on Twitter that someone said that Ohio will be getting the vaccine in mid-December.  

I have seen where it has been said that a vaccine will be ready for everyone by April, which is still pretty amazing when you think that we weren't even sure if we'd get a vaccine at all.

It's getting cold here in Cincy, so tonight or tomorrow will most likely be my last night waving to everyone. 
(11-23-2020, 11:11 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Also if someone has antibodies currently, is it still possible for them to spread the virus?

I tried looking that up online because I was wondering that but couldn't find anything.  

Let me know if you find out!
Reply/Quote
Looks like England is releasing a vaccine and we'll have some released mid-December.

I believe the decision has been made to release to front line workers and elderly in long term care facilities first. i understand there's some argument about releasing to frail elderly first as they risk possible dangerous side effects.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 02:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Looks like England is releasing a vaccine and we'll have some released mid-December.

I believe the decision has been made to release to front line workers and elderly in long term care facilities first. i understand there's some argument about releasing to frail elderly first as they risk possible dangerous side effects.

I've seen all the ones that look like they'll be released before Christmas and I just hope the FDA is inspecting them carefully because it seemed like we wouldn't have one until the spring at the earliest, but then one company got close and now suddenly there's a few companies releasing them soon, so I'm just hoping that they didn't cut any corners trying to keep pace.  

I still need to decide if I want to get it early (assuming I can) because I really only go to the gym and my place but, knowing my luck, someone at the gym or a guest here will stop by and hug me, cough on me, and give me the virus, in which case I'm dead.
Reply/Quote