Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crazy Idea with the Browns???
Joe Thomas is a future HOF left tackle and I doubt he would have much interest in not finishing his career in Cleveland. However, it isn't likely that the Browns will contend over the next two years, which happen to be the last two of his contract.

The Bengals obviously have a huge question mark at LT with Ced Ohowiwhiffedagain.

Could a player trade involving AJM and, say, the Bengals third round pick be made? Thomas would essentially be a two-year solution at LT and he would be an amazing addition to this team that can contend right now. His salary would necessitate the release of Adam Jones, which to me is an added bonus. Or include him in the trade?

I know it might not be very realistic, but the Browns jettisoned a lot of high-price talent over the past year, and Thomas will not be there when they are finally ready to compete. Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Would love it, yet do not see Hue doing it.

But one never knows exactly what Hues thoughts on AJM are. If he is high enough you never know.

Believe we would have a better chance at there #1 draft pick if he loves AJM that much.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 11:18 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Would love it but do not see Hue doing it.

But one never knows exactly what Hues thoughts on AJM are. If he is high enough you never know.

Believe we would have a better chance at there #1 draft pick if he loves AJM that much.

I would jump at their 2nd rounder (#33 overall).  

It is pretty simple:  QB of the future that costs next to nothing for two years to evaluate for a LT of the past, which saves you nearly $10 million per year.  

I know it is crazy, but wow...would it create some buzz for both teams in Ohio.  
Reply/Quote
Money Mike isn't known for his flesh trading skills and isn't about to start any time soon. IF, and a big if they decide to move on from Ced or McC they want something out of the deal(s) so they have to keep talking up Ced and McC. They couldn't very well come out and say that McC is dead weight and they're desperate to unload him. Nobody would nor should want a trade for someone you're desperate to move. As for Ced they can't appear desperate there either or other teams could very easily pick up on the desperation and not be willing to trade anyone anyway.  
"Here is our backup, unproven QB and in return we want your stud LT AND a bunch of high draft picks..?" 
I don't see that scenario playing out. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Couple thoughts.

1 — A line is strongest when it is most familiar with each other. I'd take a line of mid-tier guys who have been together 3-4 years over a line of mid-tier guys and a standout who have never played together. Not that Oogie is a better tackle than Thomas, but the overall strength of the line may be better playing with Oogie in year 3 than Thomas in year 1.

2 — Oogie will be better this year than last.

3 — At some point we have to have a permanent fix, not a one- or two-year stopgap. Somebody has got to take the bumps and learn the spot. Hopefully, last year was that bump and Ced steps up.

4— If Hue plans on getting a QB this year (and I think he has to, his leash is supposed to be long, but I don't think they're going to give him a few years of just playing backup QBs), his most important position is LT. A rookie QB is going to get beat up. The only thing that will keep him from getting Couch'ed is Thomas.
Reply/Quote
Thomas has a cap hit of $11.5 million. I doubt that the Bengals could absorb it.

But...I do think this is a good idea conceptually.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 11:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would jump at their 2nd rounder (#33 overall).  

It is pretty simple:  QB of the future that costs next to nothing for two years to evaluate for a LT of the past, which saves you nearly $10 million per year.  

Would as well and would strongly consider their first 3rd round pick even.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 12:48 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would as well and would strongly consider their first 3rd round pick even.

Someone, maybe you floated this in another thread and it makes a lot of sense.  The two rivals would be helping each other equally at least in getting two need positions, if I'm Cleveland though it's tough as they finally have an OL.  

If u ask the average Bengals fan what adding a HOF LT and drafting a pass rusher early would do for the team it would mean righting the ship to a playoff winning team.  His contract isnt really bad, Mikey pays for tackles and it does the unthinkable: It erases the scar from losing Whit and removes the fear from trusting a wildcard in Ced.  Worst that happens is actually OL depth and I'll take my chances with chemistry when gaining this much talent.
Reply/Quote
I think Hue views him as his Whitworth. That is his one true leader. After spending boatloads of money to make their OL one of the best in the league. Trading their LT who is the best player on the line makes no sense.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 11:49 AM)grampahol Wrote: Money Mike isn't known for his flesh trading skills and isn't about to start any time soon. IF, and a big if they decide to move on from Ced or McC they want something out of the deal(s) so they have to keep talking up Ced and McC. They couldn't very well come out and say that McC is dead weight and they're desperate to unload him. Nobody would nor should want a trade for someone you're desperate to move. As for Ced they can't appear desperate there either or other teams could very easily pick up on the desperation and not be willing to trade anyone anyway.  
"Here is our backup, unproven QB and in return we want your stud LT AND a bunch of high draft picks..?" 
I don't see that scenario playing out. 

I think the trades me made for Deltha O'Neal and Reggie Nelson were two of the best moves in this club's history and you might be able to argue that for the entire NFL.  

The scenario was we would give Cleveland AJM and our third rounder for Joe Thomas, not give AJM and get back "a bunch of high draft picks"...not sure where you got that.

I agree, though, that it is a very unlikely scenario, but they were cutting a LOT of talent that were high dollar.  Thomas would be perfect here for the remaining two years.  There, he is a Pro Bowl, future HOF talent being wasted.  
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 11:56 AM)Benton Wrote: Couple thoughts.

1 — A line is strongest when it is most familiar with each other. I'd take a line of mid-tier guys who have been together 3-4 years over a line of mid-tier guys and a standout who have never played together. Not that Oogie is a better tackle than Thomas, but the overall strength of the line may be better playing with Oogie in year 3 than Thomas in year 1.

2 — Oogie will be better this year than last.

3 — At some point we have to have a permanent fix, not a one- or two-year stopgap. Somebody has got to take the bumps and learn the spot. Hopefully, last year was that bump and Ced steps up.

4— If Hue plans on getting a QB this year (and I think he has to, his leash is supposed to be long, but I don't think they're going to give him a few years of just playing backup QBs), his most important position is LT. A rookie QB is going to get beat up. The only thing that will keep him from getting Couch'ed is Thomas.

Your #1, 2, and 3 all are hoping on some magical turnaround at LT by Ced.  I am hoping for that, too, but what I saw when he was out there...and after he was benched...gives me very little reason for optimism.

The Browns could draft Ramcyzk or Robinson with their #12 pick and develop their line for years to come as they would develop together.  I don't think Thomas will play beyond his contract.  As the #3 overall pick years ago (before the rookie wage scale), he surely won't be needing for money.  

I think if gives them a way to get their QB for at least a year for next to nothing.  Here is how the QB issue would play out:

In each scenario:  the acquisition of AJM for no draft picks allows them to go BPA at #1, #12, and #33.  Without him, they will likely be taking or trading for a QB with one of those picks.  So, you already have one more top 50 player with this deal.  

AJM struggles:  They would select the QB out of UCLA or USC...some have those two as highly rated as prospects as Andrew Luck was his senior season.  Browns out $750K

AJM plays well, but the team has more holes to fill:  They have him one more season on peanuts and can sign some FAs as well as continue to develop all their draft picks.

AJM looks really good: You don't have to draft a QB at all and you can then sign him to a long-term contract and you finally have your franchise QB.

A lot of folks keep saying:  "AJM was a 5th rounder" or "why didn't anyone else take him if he was so good".  I will offer this:  his shoulder injury gave him what physicians call a "dead arm".  He had lost a lot of strength in his arm from injury that limited his downfield throws but he was able to compete and win two consecutive NCAA Championships.  He was told he would likely be a 2nd or 3rd round selection.  He fell because of his injury.  

Fast forward to where he is today and he had a QB rating of 97 in his only three starts in the league.  Compare that to even what Derek Carr did when he started.

I think Hue is smart enough to know he can win with McCarron.  The question is:  will the Bengals want to help him unless it tremendously benefits them as well?  I think this odd proposal can do just that. 
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 11:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Joe Thomas is a future HOF left tackle and I doubt he would have much interest in not finishing his career in Cleveland.  However, it isn't likely that the Browns will contend over the next two years, which happen to be the last two of his contract.

The Bengals obviously have a huge question mark at LT with Ced Ohowiwhiffedagain.  

Could a player trade involving AJM and, say, the Bengals third round pick be made?  Thomas would essentially be a two-year solution at LT and he would be an amazing addition to this team that can contend right now.  His salary would necessitate the release of Adam Jones, which to me is an added bonus.  Or include him in the trade?  

I know it might not be very realistic, but the Browns jettisoned a lot of high-price talent over the past year, and Thomas will not be there when they are finally ready to compete.  Thoughts?

Would never happen.  They value Thomas the way we should have valued Whitworth.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 02:06 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Would never happen.  They value Thomas the way we should have valued Whitworth.

Probably not, but ask yourself:  Have they won with Thomas?  Has any team won without a QB?  
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 01:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote:  
I think Hue is smart enough to know he can win with McCarron.  

If that's the case, you'll see a deal worked out regardless of pick position. If Hue really thinks AJM is a career making QB — because that's what he's betting on with whoever he puts at the helm — then he'll give up whatever pick(s) the Bengals are asking for. If he thinks some other roster guy is, he'll trade with them (and there's been plenty of rumors of the Browns trading with everyone, not just us). Or, if he thinks it's someone in the draft, they'll move around to get who they want.

With the amount and positions of the Brown's picks, Hue can get just about anyone who wasn't a top 20 QB last season. And like I've said before, his leash is long enough to give him till at least the end of next season to show he knows how to build the team. But if he doesn't have a QB in place, or they have the first pick again, he's going to run out of time.
Reply/Quote
don't know if the browns can afford to lose his salary
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2017, 11:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would jump at their 2nd rounder (#33 overall).  

I am still hoping for this scenario.  No way we get the #1 or #12, but #33 is very possible.
Reply/Quote
People completely sleeping on the Jets. I could see us packaging 9 and AJM to the Jets for 6 and their 3rd/4th in a scenario where we need to get in front of Carolina who has a lot of the same needs we do.
Reply/Quote
Much rather see him traded to the Jets
Reply/Quote
No way the Browns send Joe Thomas to Cincy. We would have to maybe offer our 9th overall for Hue to even consider it.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Give the Browns our 9 and AJM and we get their 1 so we can get the best DE then send late round picks to make up the difference in trade to make it fair either way. Hue has almost beat the power house team in his division the Steelers with AJM in a playoff game already would of won without some bonehead flags. If not he has to roll the dice with a rookie QB and the browns go thru QB a lot over the years so not the best in the world at picking talent. I don't think hue has 5 years to fail and restart over in hopes of drafting another QB if this rookie does not work out for him. So the smart move is to go with AJM and we get the best pass rusher both teams get impact players. If it turns the Browns into a great team cool I would rather battle it out against them in the playoffs then the Steelers. Maybe knock the Steelers down a few pegs they are not getting younger at QB.
Reply/Quote