Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Criminal Justice Reform
Let's take some time to break this down. I think it is good and the Trump Administration should get credit for getting this bipartisan bill passed. But what does it all entail? I'll have to look more into it to fully understand. But initially, it sounds like a good deal and props to Trump given his defense of law enforcement for recognizing not everything is fair with our system.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2018/12/18/18140973/first-step-act-criminal-justice-reform-senate-congress

If anyone knows what all this covers, please share thoughts to help those of us who aren't as familiar understand the bill (and issues with our system it tackles) a little better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
While I understand why there are mandatory minimums, I never liked them. Three strikes laws as well. At least this reduces it from life to 25 years.

I didn't understand this part:

Quote:Not every inmate would benefit from the changes. The system would use an algorithm to initially determine who can cash in earned time credits, with inmates deemed higher risk excluded from cashing in, although not from earning the credits (which they could then cash in if their risk level is reduced).

But algorithms can perpetuate racial and class disparities that are already deeply embedded in the criminal justice system. For instance, an algorithm that excludes someone from earning credits due to previous criminal history may overlook that black and poor people are more likely to be incarcerated for crimes even when they’re not more likely to actually commit those crimes. So although the bill would put checks on the algorithm, it’s turned into a controversial portion of the bill even among criminal justice reformers.

Is it incarceration history or criminal history?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

good question.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
And we must remember that the rules they are attempting to modify were also a bipartisan attempt to create a better system.

I am glad they are revisiting this and trying to make it better though.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I was listening to Senator Cory Booker discuss this on NPR this morning. Yes, it is a good thing. They are addressing wrongs in the system that have really gotten out of hand. And it is very bipartisan. Good job, Senate! ThumbsUp

Hopefully, the lame-duck House won't kill this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46613564?fbclid=IwAR2SRI3hSKX474zAlCLdvK6E4Bd-vS7JAZ-s7v8UK3xd400XlmtVyQIFRFg
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(12-19-2018, 01:13 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I was listening to Senator Cory Booker discuss this on NPR this morning. Yes, it is a good thing. They are addressing wrongs in the system that have really gotten out of hand. And it is very bipartisan. Good job, Senate!  ThumbsUp

Hopefully, the lame-duck House won't kill this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46613564?fbclid=IwAR2SRI3hSKX474zAlCLdvK6E4Bd-vS7JAZ-s7v8UK3xd400XlmtVyQIFRFg

Yeah I was listening to something on NPR the other day that said the basis for a lot of it was coming out of Texas, which is more known for throwing books at people.
Good "first steps" by all those involved.

I can't believe Tom Cotton said we have an under-incarceration problem...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]