Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone in HR?
How long does it typically take an employer to say you are hired or not after the job interview? The wife had her 2nd interview with a company 2 weeks ago yesterday and they told her then it'd be a week or two before any decisions can be made. We still haven't heard anything. She's checked her online 'account' with them and it still says ' Under consideration'. She thinks if she would be rejected, the account would say something to the effect. Either way, wouldn't you think if she had been rejected they would have let us know by now? Anything?

I don't know if any of you busted boars are in HR, but any insight would be appreciated.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 04:19 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: How long does it typically take an employer to say you are hired or not after the job interview? The wife had her 2nd interview with a company 2 weeks ago yesterday and they told her then it'd be a week or two before any decisions can be made. We still haven't heard anything. She's checked her online 'account' with them and it still says ' Under consideration'. She thinks if she would be rejected, the account would say something to the effect. Either way, wouldn't you think if she had been rejected they would have let us know by now? Anything?

I don't know if any of you busted boars are in HR, but any insight would be appreciated.

I was not in HR but I hired quite a few people and interviewed many. Honestly, I was horrible at following up with candidates and many times was so busy it was hard to find time. Usually HR does not make the decisions but just takes care of the paperwork. I would say the delay is probably due to the interviewer.

Also, keep in mind they may have not interviewed everyone yet. Sometimes what I planned to get done in 2 weeks turned into 3-4. If your wife is eager to know, it usually doesn't hurt to call unless they asked her not to. It never bothered me.

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 04:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I was not in HR but I hired quite a few people and interviewed many. Honestly, I was horrible at following up with candidates and many times was so busy it was hard to find time. Usually HR does not make the decisions but just takes care of the paperwork. I would say the delay is probably due to the interviewer.

Also, keep in mind they may have not interviewed everyone yet. Sometimes what I planned to get done in 2 weeks turned into 3-4. If your wife is eager to know, it usually doesn't hurt to call unless they asked her not to. It never bothered me.

I see. Ya we might be getting a little anxious because she's losing her current job in the middle of June, so it'd be nice to have this one locked down before then. They also told her that they are hiring nine different people so they might be finishing up getting all nine people before letting everyone know.

Thanks Dog!
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Have her email them. Tell them how much impressed she was with the organization during the interview process and that she is still very interested in the position if it has not been filled.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
There could be an inordinate amount of candidates for them to sift through, and as was suggested, they could still be involved in the interview process.

Also, in our organization the sticking point can often be validating the references and running the background checks. It can be difficult to reach a reference and have them respond timely. And, background checks can take some time despite us using a service for the background checks.

If she hadn't followed up already with a post interview email, and that's a good idea anyway, then as BFine suggested, she should email them. Nothing elaborate, just a simple statement.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Depends on the number of applicants. Generally it's extended longer if there isn't a clear cut choice. If a solid choice is found in day 2 of a 14 day window, then it gets short.
Reply/Quote
All companies have different processes.

The company I work for is very very VERY slow, and they have a hierarchy heavy process. Example: I knew I was going to be offered a job after 4 interviews, because I'm friendly with the person I would be reporting directly to, and she told me it was coming, but the word had to officially come from this one lady who was out on vacation and about to go on maternity leave. So the process could not and would not move forward until that one lady in HR sent me the official email. No one could do it for her. The buck stopped there. Delayed the process a good week. And because the company is officially under a hiring freeze, it required 6 executive signatures all the way up to one step below the CEO, all of whom work in France so time difference issues. This is a company with 100k+ employees, so as I am sure you can imagine, it's a big bureaucracy. lol

Point being, I think my experience was the epitome of slow. Bottom line is that it is perfectly reasonable to send a "Still interested. Still here. and Just checking in" email, if she was given a verbal 1-2 weeks and you're at 2 weeks. Shows interest and connection. It's a good thing.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 05:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Have her email them. Tell them how much impressed she was with the organization during the interview process and that she is still very interested in the position if it has not been filled.

This ^

My wife recently changed jobs.  Rather than making an uncomfortable call, she elected to email the interviewer (program administrator), and thank them for the interview opportunity, as well as make her statement on how impressed she was with their agencies policies, and how she envisioned herself being a good fit in their office.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have great true story.

When I was finishing up my undergraduate degree I thought it would be a couple of years before I started law school. I applied for a position with the Chattanooga City Fire Department. The hiring process was a series steps. it started with a written test that hundreds of people took. They eliminated a bunch of people then about a week later there was a call back for a physical strength/endurance test. They elimnated more people then about a week later I had to take the MMPI and a lie detector test. The final step was a physical exam by a doctor that included a drug test.

I had been clean for weeks anticipating this drug test. But after I took the MMPI and lie detector I did not get a call back for well over a week. i assumed that I had been eliminated so I smoked it up big time. The very next day I was called to come in for the exam. I schedualed it for a couple of days away and then tried all sorts of crazy stuff to try and pass (drinking vinegar etc)..

The next call I got was an offer to join the CCFD.

The funniest part is that when this happened it was impossible to get one of those jobs without someone already on the force to recommend you. they usually hired about 5 or 6 guys a year. But in 1985 they instituted a drug testing policy and a few guys had lost their jobs. So they hired 14 new firemen that year and I was able to get on because I scored so high on every test. So even though I was a pot smoker I was able to get a job that someone lost possibly for smoking pot.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 10:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry to hijack this thread but I have great true story.

When I was finishing up my undergraduate degree I thought it would be a couple of years before I started law school.  I applied for a position with the Chattanooga City Fire Department.  The hiring process was a series steps.  it started with a written test that hundreds of people took.  They eliminated a bunch of people then about a week later there was a call back for a physical strength/endurance test.  They elimnated more people then about a week later I had to take the MMPI and a lie detector test.  The final step was a physical exam by a doctor that included a drug test.

I had been clean for weeks anticipating this drug test.  But after I took the MMPI and lie detector I did not get a call back for well over a week.  i assumed that I had been eliminated so I smoked it up big time.  The very next day I was called to come in for the exam.  I schedualed it for a couple of days away and then tried all sorts of crazy stuff to try and pass (drinking vinegar etc)..

The next call I got was an offer to join the CCFD.

The funniest part is that when this happened it was impossible to get one of those jobs without someone already on the force to recommend you.  they usually hired about 5 or 6 guys a year.  But in 1985 they instituted a drug testing policy and a few guys had lost their jobs.  So they hired 14 new firemen that year and I was able to get on because I scored so high on every test.  So even though I was a pot smoker I was able to get a job that someone lost possibly for smoking pot.

Something similar once happened to me.  I was working at an airport in baggage sort and had been there for about 2 years.  I was getting high just about every day at the time, and never thought much of it because I never really saw anyone get randomly tested.

They did, however get tested when there was any sort of accident, which was the farthest thing from my mind TBH.  One afternoon, I got assigned a huge flight of about 150 bags.  It would require about 3 carts to be hauled out by one driver.  I got two good ones and had to scrounge up a shitty old mail cart for the third.  The wheels creaked and the tow bar was barely hanging on, but I figured it would get the job done.  

I was wrong.  The third cart fell over on the road when I took a tight turn.  The tow bar had finally had enough, and it twisted and detached from the other cart, sliding across the ground shooting sparks and dropping luggage. 

I was pretty nervous.  I got called into the lead office to meet my supervisor, where he would then drive me over to the main building to piss in a cup.  I told him point blank that I had smoked the night before probably every night before that with a few exceptions since I passed my initial hire screening.  I told him I'd just prefer to quit and go to the house to avoid the embarassment.  

He begged me to take the test for about 20 minutes and told me that I had nothing to worry about, although obviously I did.  I caved and took it.  I never heard about it again.  I worked there for another 6 months before I left for a better job.  

Funny shit.
Reply/Quote
It probably depends on the company, organization within the company, and other factors as well.

I've hired people the same day they interviewed and have also waited several weeks before hiring others. Just depends upon the hiring manager.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote