Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current Protests
I posted this about 24 hours ago:

Quote:Re: People marching to protest Trump's election.

I am on record: Protests are fine and good. Destruction and violence are not.

I can understand their frustration as they see a man who may now try to roll back any social gains groups like gays and others have gotten over the last 20 years. See while many were voting for jobs and tax breaks that comes with the rest of the GOP platform which includes eliminating insurance for 20 million people, stopping gays from marrying each other and rolling back regulations that have cleaned up our air and water over the last *40* years.

As to the chanting and cursing: They are protesting someone who calls anyone who dislikes anything about him "losers", "morons", etc. Even people like an actual war hero in John McCain. If he can't take it he shouldn't deal it out. Right?

It's been less than 48 hours. People's emotions are still raw. Had Clinton won I imagine my page would be filled with people screaming she should be in jail, it was rigged, etc.

This was a mean, ugly campaign on almost all levels. People who lost are not going to get over it easily or quickly. But the MUST get over it.

This is the result we have.

We will see the results of it over the next four years.

Those of you who feel this election reflected "god's will" should be praying for peace rather than also name calling and and denigrating the other side because of their choice of protest.

Edit: I personally am at peace with all of this. I said my piece, presented my evidence and the election did not go the way I thought was best for the country.

But it's as if a weight has been lifted from me.

There is nothing else I can do. There is nothing else for me TO do.

Now today:

People who want to block roads, destroy property, attack others are not helping nor are they justified at all.

Protests have happened for the last two presidents even during their inauguration.

Be peaceful. Be lawful.

But you know what ELSE doesn't help?

Paranoid tweets from a president elect about professional protesters being incited by the media.  

[Image: soberdrunktweet.jpg]

That is not "unifying".  That feeds into the honest protesters fears about the man who will lead this country for four years at least.

You see the second tweet above it nine hours later?  Which President are we going to get?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
What I've learned over the last 8 years is that if you say the president is not my president, you are a racist.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-11-2016, 09:48 AM)GMDino Wrote: I posted this about 24 hours ago:

Now today:

People who want to block roads, destroy property, attack others are not helping nor are they justified at all.

Protests have happened for the last two presidents even during their inauguration.

Be peaceful. Be lawful.

But you know what ELSE doesn't help?

Paranoid tweets from a president elect about professional protesters being incited by the media.  

[Image: soberdrunktweet.jpg]

That is not "unifying".  That feeds into the honest protesters fears about the man who will lead this country for four years at least.

You see the second tweet above it nine hours later?  Which President are we going to get?

someone might have reminded him that the first amendment covers protesting
People suck
(11-11-2016, 09:57 AM)michaelsean Wrote: What I've learned over the last 8 years is that if you say the president is not my president, you are a racist.

What I learned is there are a lot more racists than we want to believe there are...but not everyone who who didn't like the President was a racist.

Side note:  I have never said "He is not my president".  I may have said I did not vote for him...but he IS my president because I live here too.
Yeah, it's no good. I feel like it's going to get much worse when the weekend in full swing.
(11-11-2016, 10:28 AM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, it's no good. I feel like it's going to get much worse when the weekend in full swing.

It is going to get worse before it gets better. We have people with concerns based on rhetoric from the campaign that there is going to be an effort to strip them of their civil rights. We have people that want to see that happen and are stoking those fires with harassment, violence, and destruction. We have people that are using their anger over the outcome to do the same. They are feeding off of each other.

I will say this, though, for every person you see out in the streets there are at least ten that are being silent and are legitimately scared that they will face discrimination because of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc., and they are seeing all of this and it is only making it worse.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-11-2016, 10:12 AM)GMDino Wrote: What I learned is there are a lot more racists than we want to believe there are...but not everyone who who didn't like the President was a racist.

Side note:  I have never said "He is not my president".  I may have said I did not vote for him...but he IS my president because I live here too.

I never said it either because it's not really an opinion thing, but people did and were called racists for it. 
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-11-2016, 10:33 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It is going to get worse before it gets better. We have people with concerns based on rhetoric from the campaign that there is going to be an effort to strip them of their civil rights. We have people that want to see that happen and are stoking those fires with harassment, violence, and destruction. We have people that are using their anger over the outcome to do the same. They are feeding off of each other.

I will say this, though, for every person you see out in the streets there are at least ten that are being silent and are legitimately scared that they will face discrimination because of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc., and they are seeing all of this and it is only making it worse.

Falls under the "If it bleeds it leads" mantra.

We'll see video and pictures of violence and destruction and there will be little discussion by calm, rational people.
(11-11-2016, 10:33 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It is going to get worse before it gets better. We have people with concerns based on rhetoric from the campaign that there is going to be an effort to strip them of their civil rights. We have people that want to see that happen and are stoking those fires with harassment, violence, and destruction. We have people that are using their anger over the outcome to do the same. They are feeding off of each other.

Yep.  It's somewhat encouraging to see Trump acting a bit differently since he locked the nomination down.  I think he might realize that he needs to distance himself from some of the rhetoric he used in the campaign.  Well, hopefully anyway.  Your'e already seeing some of the cazier stuff like jailing HRC and mass deportation getting walked back by Preibus and Giuliani.  

Still, though, a lot of that toothpaste is out of the tube.  If he truly does start stripping people of their civil rights, then they should take to the streets and lose their shit.  Right now, however, he's the president elect and I think people need to take a moment to see what he actually does before going nuclear.
I've been told for years that we cannot live in fear. No problem with protests as long as they are peaceful and do not impede public safety.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-11-2016, 11:04 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I've been told for years that we cannot live in fear. No problem with protests as long as they are peaceful and do not impede public safety.

Agreed.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-11-2016, 10:03 AM)Griever Wrote: someone might have reminded him that the first amendment covers protesting

Are these acts truly protests?  They seem more like cued flash mobs that are turning violent and include destruction of property, obstructing traffic, etc.  We have people protesting, here in NC.  However, the news footage clearly shows them being peaceful.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
I understand the protests/demonstrations. The protests are largely made of minorities, youth, and college students. With the understandable fear and uncertainty that these people face with a Trump presidency, it's only natural that they want their voice to be heard.

That said, there is never any excuse for violent demonstrations (barring massive civil rights violations I suppose) and those that are vandalizing and disrupting traffic etc are clearly in the wrong. I imagine that this is just part of the grieving stage for these people, and it will die out over the weekend and it sets in. Continuing to protest the result is just sour grapes from sore losers.

Again, I understand that it is a group of people that are scared. It's a group that has a lot to lose with this president elect. It's a group that feels like their voice has been ignored. But that same president elect promised in his acceptance speech to be the president for all the people. People should focus on holding Trump to that promise.
No problem with protests, heck, protests are great... but when they start burning things, destroying things, and shoving dumpsters onto train tracks to stop trains? It's obviously no longer okay.

Also, I feel like anyone who intentionally plans to block traffic on highways, bridges, or extremely busy roads, have a special place in hell reserved for them. Honestly, blocking roads/bridges like that is exactly the opposite of getting people to empathize with your message. You could be protesting against cloning a new Hitler, but if you're making people late for work or keeping them from being able to get home, your message no longer matters. All people know is you're detaining them, and they now hate you. It hurts your cause.

Also... I know it's legal, but I just can't get behind flag burning.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Just some food for thought...had the election gone the other way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/28/us/politics/donald-trump-voters.html?_r=0

Quote:Some Donald Trump Voters Warn of Revolution if Hillary Clinton Wins

COLORADO SPRINGS — Big crowds still mob Donald J. Trump when he comes to town, with fans waiting in long lines to attend his rallies, where they eagerly jeer his Democratic rival and holler happily at his message.

But beneath the cheering, a new emotion is taking hold among some Trump supporters as they grapple with reports predicting that he will lose the election: a dark fear about what will happen if their candidate is denied the White House. Some worry that they will be forgotten, along with their concerns and frustrations. Others believe the nation may be headed for violent conflict.

Jared Halbrook, 25, of Green Bay, Wis., said that if Mr. Trump lost toHillary Clinton, which he worried would happen through a stolen election, it could lead to “another Revolutionary War.”

“People are going to march on the capitols,” said Mr. Halbrook, who works at a call center. “They’re going to do whatever needs to be done to get her out of office, because she does not belong there.”

“If push comes to shove,” he added, and Mrs. Clinton “has to go by any means necessary, it will be done.”

Interviews with more than 50 Trump supporters at campaign events in six states over the past week revealed a distinct change from the rollicking mood earlier this year, when Mr. Trump’s surprising primary successes and emergence as an unconventional Republican standard-bearer set off broad excitement. The crowds appeared on edge and quick to lash out.

And while some voters emphatically disputed polls suggesting that Mrs. Clinton would win, others offered an apocalyptic vision of what life would be like if she did.

“It’s not what I’m going to do, but I’m scared that the country is going to go into a riot,” said Roger Pillath, 75, a retired teacher from Coleman, Wis. “I’ve never seen the country so divided, just black and white — there’s no compromise whatsoever. The Clinton campaign says together we are stronger, but there’s no together. The country has never been so divided. I’m looking at revolution right now.”

Julie Olson, a rancher who showed up for a rally in Colorado Springs, said that she and her husband had been through rough economic times in recent years, and that a Trump loss would worsen their burdens.

“I’d probably go into a depression, because life is hard enough for us right now,” Ms. Olson, 69, said. “And if Hillary gets in, it’s going to be a whole lot worse — income, lack of income, small business, large businesses.”

New York Times reporters spoke to people attending Trump rallies in Colorado, Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.
In every crowd, there were supporters who echoed Mr. Trump’s message that the polls did not reflect the “silent majority” who they said would turn out on Nov. 8 and elect him in a landslide.

“You go through any neighborhood and see how many Trump signs there are and how many Hillary signs there are, and I guarantee you it’s not even going to be close,” said Bill Stelling, 44, of Jacksonville, Fla. “The only way they’ve done it is by rigging the election.”

An information diet from Trump-friendly news media like Breitbart News and Infowars has led many to believe that there is no way Mr. Trump can lose, and that even contemplating the possibility is foolish. “I’d be shocked,” said Rick Hill, 58, of Fort Myers, Fla.

Mr. Hill added, “If you get on social media, he’s got Hillary beat, 3 to 1.”

But others expressed unease about what a Trump loss would bring.

“Unfortunately, I’m not a man of vigilante violence,” said Richard Sabonjohn, 48, of Naples, Fla. “I’m more of a peaceful person. But I do think there will be a large amount of people that are terribly upset and may take matters into their own hands.”

Mr. Trump has repeatedly called the election “rigged,” raised concerns about voter fraud and said that he might not accept the results if he lost, making Democrats and Republicans alike worry whether the transfer ofpower will be smooth.

Even some of his supporters who say they would peacefully accept Mrs. Clinton as the next president fear that the nation will take a violent turn — especially if Mrs. Clinton tries to infringe on Second Amendment rights.

Paul Swick, 42, who owns a moving business, went with his wife and daughter to see Mr. Trump speak in Green Bay last week. Mr. Swick considers himself a “Bible Christian” and “Thomas Jefferson liberal,” and said he hoped to beat Mrs. Clinton “at the ballot box.”

But Mr. Swick, by his own estimation, also owns “north of 30 guns,” and he said Mrs. Clinton would have trouble if she tried to confiscate the nation’s constitutionally protected weapons. (Mrs. Clinton has said she supports the Second Amendment, but she favors certain restrictions, like tighter background checks for gun buyers.)

“If she comes after the guns, it’s going to be a rough, bumpy road,” Mr. Swick said. “I hope to God I never have to fire a round, but I won’t hesitate to. As a Christian, I want reformation. But sometimes reformation comes through bloodshed.”

Alan Weegens, 62, a retired truck driver in Colorado Springs, also wondered aloud how the country — with so many citizens who own guns and, he said, “are willing to trample a grandma on Black Friday at midnight to save $5 on a toaster” — would react if Mr. Trump lost.

“I am not going to take my weapon to go out into the streets to protest an election I did not win,” Mr. Weegens said, “but I think that if certain events came about, a person would need to protect themselves, depending on where they lived, when your neighborhood goes up in flames.”

Asked what might cause such a conflagration, he pointed to places likeFerguson, Mo., and Charlotte, N.C., which have been hit by unrest after police shootings of black men, and said, “Because hungry people get mean.”

As Mrs. Clinton pulls away in many polls, some Trump voters found it difficult even to contemplate what a Clinton presidency would be like for them.

“I’d go home and cry for four years,” said Ken Herrmann, 69, of Punta Gorda, Fla.

Kathy Maney, 61, a hairstylist from Fletcher, N.C., used the language of love lost. “I won’t feel hatred or mad or anything like that, but my heart will be broken,” she said.

And Vicki Sanger, 40, of Grand Junction, Colo., said she had more practical concerns. “I would just be scared that Hillary would be impeached before she finishes her term,” she said.

But, Ms. Sanger added, she will accept the outcome on Election Day. “I would absolutely respect the result and support the next president,” she said. “Pray for the next president, whoever it is.”

Seems the other side was quite ready for what we are seeing.  Weird.
(11-11-2016, 11:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are these acts truly protests?  They seem more like cued flash mobs that are turning violent and include destruction of property, obstructing traffic, etc.  We have people protesting, here in NC.  However, the news footage clearly shows them being peaceful.

they are pretty much following what trump wanted and incited people to do back in 2012 when romney lost

would you have been happier if they were armed militias? (like what was forming and preparing in case hillary won)
People suck
(11-11-2016, 03:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: Just some food for thought...had the election gone the other way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/28/us/politics/donald-trump-voters.html?_r=0

Seems the other side was quite ready for what we are seeing.  Weird.

Guess we will never know.  However we do know that Clinton supporters were planted in Trump rallies to start fights, and that they are now rioting.  

I respect their right to protest but yeah I don't see a whole lot of point. It would be more productive to take those protesters and go door to door, getting people to sign a pledge to register and vote a Democratic ballot in 2 years and then in 4 years. That would be useful. That said, you have a right to assemble and I guess you want to let other people know how you feel. That is your right. There are plenty of KKK rallies this week. I don't get to choose who get's those rights.

(11-11-2016, 04:07 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I respect their right to protest but yeah I don't see a whole lot of point. It would be more productive to take those protesters and go door to door, getting people to sign a pledge to register and vote a Democratic ballot in 2 years and then in 4 years. That would be useful. That said, you have a right to assemble and I guess you want to let other people know how you feel. That is your right. There are plenty of KKK rallies this week. I don't get to choose who get's those rights.

A few I heard are mentioning flipping some of the electors.  At least that's a goal no matter how far-fetched.

Main Stream Propaganda Outlet zombies.

Wonder how many are being paid by Soros to incite.

Probably mixed in with the peaceful protestors.

They did it at Trump rallies. They will do it now.

People need to open their eyes to the propaganda and Soros. He has a track record of doing these things in other countries.

God Bless America.