Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Current state of the Roster: 2023 FA
(03-16-2023, 07:59 PM)casear2727 Wrote: He could be done, but we should wait and see, the savings does not outweigh the benefit in the event he does heal up.

Agree, way premature to cut La'el. Mixon on the other hand...

We can designate him a June 1st cut at anytime and that gives him time to land with another team, the classy way.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 06:55 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: For me, I'd rather see Carman at RT. Jonah & Collins should be in their last years this year.

I get wanting to get value out of them, but the best guy should play.

Williams & Collins could very well be in their last year or maybe they have already played it.  You just never know. 

With Jonah it is his last year of his contract.  Lets say he moves to RT and plays good there.  He is already making 12.6 million so what is he going to want next year as a free agent coming off a good season?  I dont see Jonah as being the long term solution seeing how his contract is up after this season
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 08:38 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Williams & Collins could very well be in their last year or maybe they have already played it.  You just never know. 

With Jonah it is his last year of his contract.  Lets say he moves to RT and plays good there.  He is already making 12.6 million so what is he going to want next year as a free agent coming off a good season?  I dont see Jonah as being the long term solution seeing how his contract is up after this season

I have seen enough of Jonah to form an opinion that he is not a long term solution at OT. LT or RT. He gets knocked back too easily. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 11:21 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I have seen enough of Jonah to form an opinion that he is not a long term solution at OT. LT or RT. He gets knocked back too easily. 

He regressed. Might be coaching issue.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 11:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He regressed. Might be coaching issue.

Yeah. And he tried to play through the kneecap injury, which certainly hurt him. But I want lineman who push the other guys back, not get pushed back. He and Adeniji get pushed back far too easily far too often. They do OK vs mediocre DEs but get roasted vs high end guys. 

I hope he bounces back. But if Darnell Wright is staring at me at #28, I take him. 
Reply/Quote
Added Nick Scott. Anyone know if we are still in on Rapp?

I.  53 Man Roster: Signed Players = 50.

A. Offense = 22.

1. QB (1): Burrow
2. RB (3): Mixon; T. Williams (KR1), Evans (KR2)
3. WR (6): Chase, Higgins, Boyd; Irwin, Morgan, Taylor (PR)
4. TE (1): Asiasi
5. OT (6): Brown, J. Williams; Collins (I), Carman, Adeniji, Smith
6. OG (3): Cappa, Volson; Ford
7. C (2): Karras, T. Hill

B. Defense = 25.  

1. DE (5): Hendrickson, Hubbard; Ossai, C. Sample, Gunter
2. NT/DT (5): Reader, BJ Hill; Tupou, Carter, Tufele
3. LB (5): L. Wilson, Pratt; ASG, Bailey, Bachie
4. CB (5): Awuzie (I), CTB, Hilton; George, J. Davis
5. S (5): D. Hill, Scott; Anderson, B. Wilson, Thomas

C. Special Teams = 3.

1. PK (1). McPherson.
2. P (1): Chrisman
3. LS (1): Adomitis

II. Practice Squad Players = 13  

1. Jake Browning, QB
2. Kwamie Lassiter, WR
3. Tanner Hudson, TE
4. Nick Bowers, TE
5. Devin Cochran, OT
6. Nate Gilliam, G
7. Ben Brown, C
8. Raymond Johnson III, DE
9. Owen Carney, DE
10. Dominique Davis, DT
11. Keandre Jones, LB
12. Marvell Tell, CB
13. Yusuf Corker, S
Reply/Quote
FWIW, cap hits and total $$ on deals thus far. Via OTC:

New Signings:

Player, Position, 2023 Cap Hit; Contract Length/Amount
1. Orlando Brown, LT, $10,398,000; 4 yrs/$64,092,000.
2. Nick Scott, SS, $2,388,235; 3 yrs/$12 mil
3. Cody Ford, OT/OG, Unknown;

Re-Signed:
1. Germaine Pratt, LB, $5,403,921; 3 yrs/$20,250,000
2. Jalen Davis, CB, $1,205,000; 2 yrs/$2,430,000
3. Joe Bachie, LB, $1,160,000; 1 yr
4. Trayveon Williams, RB/KR, $1,092,500; 1 yr
5. Michael Thomas, S, $940,000; 1 yr
6. Cal Adomitis, LS, $870,000; 1 yr
7. Trent Taylor, WR/PR, Uknown,

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cincinnati-bengals

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/

Got Away:
1. Jessie Bates, FS, $9,500,000; 4 yrs/$64,020,000
2. Vonn Bell, SS, $3,110,000; 3 yrs/$22,500,000
3. Hayden Hurst, TE, $3,136,666; 3 yrs/$21,750,000
4. Samjae Perine, RB, $3,000,000; 2 yrs/$7,500,000

Will try to keep updated as we roll along.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 08:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree, way premature to cut La'el. Mixon on the other hand...

We can designate him a June 1st cut at anytime and that gives him time to land with another team, the classy way.

I don't understand why we haven't either cut him or had him take a pay cut if he wants to stay with the team. If he is on the team with this current deal next year it's an absolute failure by the front office. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 08:56 PM)TheFan Wrote: I don't understand why we haven't either cut him or had him take a pay cut if he wants to stay with the team. If he is on the team with this current deal next year it's an absolute failure by the front office. 

I find it strange that there’s not info from those there at the combine of a lot of focus on running backs. I find it strange we’d resign Trayveon Williams when his contract was up. Chris Evans is still on contract. Samaje Perine was offered about the same number to stay that Denver gave him. I find it hard to believe that Samaje leaves if he had any inkling Joe wouldn’t be a part of the team this coming season. I’ve been adamant and consistent that Joe was well liked by the staff, his teammates, definitely the Bkackburn daughters, and very much appreciated by Zac and his help his first year. Joe will be our running back this year.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 09:13 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I find it strange that there’s not info from those there at the combine of a lot of focus on running backs. I find it strange we’d resign Trayveon Williams when his contract was up. Chris Evans is still on contract. Samaje Perine was offered about the same number to stay that Denver gave him. I find it hard to believe that Samaje leaves if he had any inkling Joe wouldn’t be a part of the team this coming season. I’ve been adamant and consistent that Joe was well liked by the staff, his teammates, definitely the Bkackburn daughters, and very much appreciated by Zac and his help his first year. Joe will be our running back this year.

I'm not against him being back on the team next year. But if he's back for 12 million next year that's a failure of our staff. Mixon isn't close to a top 5 back and would lilely be lucky to be paid half of that on the open market. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 10:08 PM)TheFan Wrote: I'm not against him being back on the team next year. But if he's back for 12 million next year that's a failure of our staff. Mixon isn't close to a top 5 back and would lilely be lucky to be paid half of that on the open market. 

At this point, i'd expect they're willing to allow this year to play out, draft someone and then have a dead cap hit of only 2.7M next year, if he doesn't show improvement. I think they still believe he has some gas in his tank and he's only 28.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
RB free agents have not even been dented yet a ton left. Mixon will give us more money if released after a certain date and we will not announce it until we have his replacement. We are not hurting Mixon by withholding his release since the market for RB is moving so slowly. You will most likely be able to get a decent RB after the draft in FA.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 10:18 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: RB free agents have not even been dented yet a ton left. Mixon will give us more money if released after a certain date and we will not announce it until we have his replacement. We are not hurting Mixon by withholding his release since the market for RB is moving so slowly.

And the longer the market goes like this for RBs the more likely it is that Mixon restructures the contract. Better to play and get paid then get cut and possibly get nothing or back-up $$

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 10:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: At this point, i'd expect they're willing to allow this year to play out, draft someone and then have a dead cap hit of only 2.7M next year, if he doesn't show improvement. I think they still believe he has some gas in his tank and he's only 28.

We don’t know how much they blame on him or OL. As far as passing game he had his best year and was the 7th best receiver according to PFF. They obviously felt he was capable of making plays in the passing game. But I’m afraid this board gets its narrative and that’s it. Last year they were furious he wasn’t in on third down and I said they like Samaje in pass pro and after the Super Bowl were ready to cut him then that switched during the season didn’t want Perine to come out. It’s like your trash container during storm season. Some weeks it blows down the street and others it’s where you put it in the morning. Mixon still has it.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
The fact that Perine left makes it much less likely we release Mixon. We are notcreleasing him without a replacement. We'd need TWO RBs at that point. Why create more holes before you need to?

TE, TE2, pass rush (interior & edge), DT depth, CB depth, RB2, WR depth, IOL depth, and punter all need addressed. That's 10 spots. Why make it 11 before we hace to?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 10:18 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: RB free agents have not even been dented yet a ton left. Mixon will give us more money if released after a certain date and we will not announce it until we have his replacement. We are not hurting Mixon by withholding his release since the market for RB is moving so slowly. You will most likely be able to get a decent RB after the draft in FA.

(03-19-2023, 10:21 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: And the longer the market goes like this for RBs the more likely it is that Mixon restructures the contract. Better to play and get paid then get cut and possibly get nothing or back-up $$

He’s not going anywhere

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 10:28 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The fact that Perine left makes it much less likely we release Mixon. We are notcreleasing him without a replacement. We'd need TWO RBs at that point. Why create more holes before you need to?

TE, TE2, pass rush (interior & edge), DT depth, CB depth, RB2, WR depth, IOL depth, and punter all need addressed. That's 10 spots. Why make it 11 before we hace to?

Why 2?

They have Evans and resigned Williams. One draft pick replaces the void of Mixon, Williams goes to the RB room, and Evans becomes the 3rd down guy. Let's another draft pick make the roster as the new special teams ace.

I still don't think Mixon gets cut but I think a restructure of that deal is likely, especially with the lack of interest in the upper tier FA RBs

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Re-signed Scharping. Moved Ford to Tackle, since this is where he prefers to play. 

The entire defensive and offensive lines from last year all all currently signed for this year. As are all 6 of last year's wide receivers. 

Five of the six LBs are back, with special teamer Clay Johnston the ine exception. 

We rostered 7 CBs at different times last year, five are back. Apple & Flowers unsigned. 

Hurst & Perine still need replaced, but it looks like we are done at safery, where Scott replaces Bell, D. Hill takes over for Bates, and Anderson is healthy. More athletic but less experienced.

I.  53 Man Roster: Signed Players = 51.

A. Offense = 23.

1. QB (1): Burrow
2. RB (3): Mixon; T. Williams (KR1), Evans (KR2)
3. WR (6): Chase, Higgins, Boyd; Irwin, Morgan, Taylor (PR)
4. TE (1): Asiasi
5. OT (7): Brown, J. Williams; Collins (I), Carman, Adeniji, Smith, Ford.
6. OG (3): Cappa, Volson; Scharping
7. C (2): Karras, T. Hill

B. Defense = 25.  

1. DE (5): Hendrickson, Hubbard; Ossai, C. Sample, Gunter
2. NT/DT (5): Reader, BJ Hill; Tupou, Carter, Tufele
3. LB (5): L. Wilson, Pratt; ASG, Bailey, Bachie
4. CB (5): Awuzie (I), CTB, Hilton; George, J. Davis
5. S (5): D. Hill, Scott; Anderson, B. Wilson, Thomas

C. Special Teams = 3.

1. PK (1). McPherson.
2. P (1): Chrisman
3. LS (1): Adomitis

II. Practice Squad Players = 13  

1. Jake Browning, QB
2. Kwamie Lassiter, WR
3. Tanner Hudson, TE
4. Nick Bowers, TE
5. Devin Cochran, OT
6. Nate Gilliam, G
7. Ben Brown, C
8. Raymond Johnson III, DE
9. Owen Carney, DE
10. Dominique Davis, DT
11. Keandre Jones, LB
12. Marvell Tell, CB
13. Yusuf Corker, S
Reply/Quote
FWIW, Bengals FA's still unsigned:

QB: Allen
TE: Wilcox, D. Sample
LB: Johnston
CB: Apple, Flowers, Lammons
Reply/Quote
Updated with Scharping signing & Ford contract details.

New Signings:

Player, Position, 2023 Cap Hit; Contract Length/Amount
1. Orlando Brown, LT, $10,398,000; 4 yrs/$64,092,000.
2. Nick Scott, SS, $2,388,235; 3 yrs/$12 mil
3. Cody Ford, OT/OG, $940,000, 1 yr

Re-Signed:
1. Germaine Pratt, LB, $5,403,921; 3 yrs/$20,250,000
2. Jalen Davis, CB, $1,205,000; 2 yrs/$2,430,000
3. Joe Bachie, LB, $1,160,000; 1 yr
4. Trayveon Williams, RB/KR, $1,092,500; 1 yr
5. Michael Thomas, S, $940,000; 1 yr
6. Cal Adomitis, LS, $870,000; 1 yr
7. Trent Taylor, WR/PR, Uknown,
8. Max Scharping, OG, Unknown

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cincinnati-bengals