Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Current state of the Roster: 2023 FA
(05-03-2023, 12:30 AM)dxdtdemon Wrote: Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but if Kirkland can get through camp and the preseason healthy, I think he makes the 53 man roster instead of either Adeniji or Ford.

If Collins is PUP to start, I could see 2 of those 3 making it. Assuming we keep 10 OL. 

OT: O. Brown, J. Williams; Carman + (Adeniji/Ford/Smith)
OG: Cappa, Volson; + 2 of (Scharping/Ford/Kirkland)
C: Karras + (Hill/Brown)
PUP: Collins 

Those 7 are locks, in my view, if healthy. Though I could see scenarios where Williams or Collins become expendable if someone crushes it in camp, IDK if I'd do that based on a camp performance alone. Camp is not a real game, if you know where I am coming from. 

Anyway, the above scenario oeaves us with an open OT spot (Adeniji, Ford, Smith), 2 open reserve OG spots (Scharping, Ford, Kirkland), and the open #2 spot (Hill, Brown). 

The positional versatility of some guys (Ford, Kirkland, even Adeniji & Collins & Karras) could make carrying 9 OL a possibility, especially if Collins is on the mend and will be back soon. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 07:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would love it if La'el came back, but man, the hip, the back and then ACL and MCL tears.... Shocked

No way Adeniji returns.  The last game of the season he was a tourist at RT.  Our Oline must be able to contend with KC's dline and Adeniji can't do it for two straight years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2023, 01:38 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: No way Adeniji returns.  The last game of the season he was a tourist at RT.  Our Oline must be able to contend with KC's dline and Adeniji can't do it for two straight years.

Never heard that. LMAO
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2023, 01:38 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: No way Adeniji returns.  The last game of the season he was a tourist at RT.  Our Oline must be able to contend with KC's dline and Adeniji can't do it for two straight years.

I would never say, No way Adeniji returns? I would like to think he doesn't, along with Smith...
Reply/Quote
For me I think the line will play out as this:

Tackles- Brown, Williams, Carmen, Collins(PUP)

Guards- Cappa, Volson, Sharping, Ford(swing)

Center- Karras, Hill/Brown.

- I've seen enough of Adeniji and Smith, it's time to move on and I think Kirkland could push to be that 10th guy, but I truly believe we will go with 9 to start the season until Collins is ready. The backup Center job is really the only competition IMO.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2023, 06:15 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: For me I think the line will play out as this:

- I've seen enough of Adeniji and Smith, it's time to move on and I think Kirkland could push to be that 10th guy, but I truly believe we will go with 9 to start the season until Collins is ready. The backup Center job is really the only competition IMO.

Yeah, I tend to lean this way as well. 

I had 10 penciled in as the number in my head, but carrying 9 to start would allow us to be heavier elsewhere where all the guys can legit contribute. Say DE (Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai, Murphy, Sample, + Basham/Gunter), LB (Wilson, Pratt, ADG, Bailey, Bachie, Basham), S (Hill,,Scott, Battle, Anderson, Thomas), or WR (Chase, Higgins, Boys, Jones, Iosivas, Irwin, Morgan). Or maybe even carry 3 QBs. 
Reply/Quote
Oh, Fowler at ESPN has finally figured out we are not cutting Mixon.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/06/05/bengals-expected-keep-joe-mixon/
Reply/Quote
Despite my last post, I will stick with 10 OL:

Best guess heading into camp:

QB (2): Burrow; Siemiam
RB (4): Mixon; C. Brown, T. Williams, Evans
WR (6): Chase, Higgins, Boyd; C. Jones, Iosivas, Irwin
TE (3): Smith; D. Sample, Asiasi
OT (4): O. Brown, J. Williams; Carman, Collins
OG (4): Cappa, Volson; Scharping, Ford (OG/OT)
C (2): Karras, T. Hill
------------------
DE (5): Hendrickson, Hubbard; Murphy, Ossai, C. Sample
DT (5): Reader, BJ Hill; Tupou, Carter, Tufele
LB (5): Wilson, Pratt; ADG, Bailey, Bachie
CB (6): Awuzie, CTB, Hilton; Turner, S. Jones, Davis
S (4): D. Hill, Scott; Battle, Anderson
----------
PK: McPherson
P: Robbins
LS: Adomitis

Preferred Practice Squad (16):
1. QB: Browning
2. S: Thomas (Vet #1)
3. DE: Basham (Vet #2)
4. DE: Gunter
5. OG: Kirkland
6. C: Brown
7. OT: Adeniji (OG) (Vet #3)
8. CB: Ivey
9. WR: Morgan (Vet #4)
10. WR: Taylor (Vet #5)
11. DT: Maxwell
-----------------
12. RB: Best left in camp
13. TE: Best left in camp
14. LB: Best left in camp
-------------
15. Any position: Best player left (CB: George)
16. Any position: Best player left (WR: Jackson)
Reply/Quote
Bubble:
RB: Evans
WR: Irwin
TE: Asiasi
OT: Collins (health only, PUP if not ready)
OG: Ford, Scharping
C: T. Hill
DE: C. Sample
DT: Tufele
LB: Bachie
CB: S. Jones, Davis
S: Anderson
Reply/Quote
The odds are pretty slim that the entire PS is made up of players cut just from the Bengals camp roster

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 12:24 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Bubble:
RB: Evans
WR: Irwin
TE: Asiasi
OT: Collins (health only, PUP if not ready)
OG: Ford, Scharping
C: T. Hill
DE: C. Sample
DT: Tufele
LB: Bachie
CB: S. Jones, Davis
S: Anderson

That’s a good list but last year at this time a lot of those guys were not even remotely on it. What an upgraded roster we’ve reached.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2023, 12:40 PM)pally Wrote: The odds are pretty slim that the entire PS is made up of players cut just from the Bengals camp roster

Oh, absolutely. But you cannot really project a guy in onto the PS that we don't have in camp yet. Right? You have to pick from the guys we currently have. That is why it said, Preferred PS at the top. Some guys we cut will get picked up by other teams, and likely vice versa. But those are the guys I'd most like to keep, if we can. 

The same thing is true for the roster, to a lesser degree. It is likely (or certainly possible) that someone gets cut from somewhere and we pick him up late & he makes the 53. But projecting someone currently on someone else's roster onto ours seems kind of silly. Absent strong rumors they will be cut and/or they want to come here. Again, you gotta pick from what we currently have. 
Reply/Quote
Apparently, as of right now, TE Tanner Hudson is the back up long snapper. Cal Adomitis has a boot on his left foot and Hudson was handling snapping duties. Having that extra skill will be an advantage when it comes to the back of the roster

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 05:02 PM)pally Wrote: Apparently, as of right now, TE Tanner Hudson is the back up long snapper.  Cal Adomitis has a boot on his left foot and Hudson was handling snapping duties.  Having that extra skill will be an advantage when it comes to the back of the roster

Absolutely. Wilcox had that job last year. 

FWIW, Hudson jas 4 years accrued, he'd count as one of the 6 veteran guys allowed on the PS. But if there is not much daylight between he and Asiasi, I think TE3 is possible for him.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2023, 07:21 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Absolutely. Wilcox had that job last year. 

FWIW, Hudson jas 4 years accrued, he'd count as one of the 6 veteran guys allowed on the PS. But if there is not much daylight between he and Asiasi, I think TE3 is possible for him.

Hudson was the punter for his college team so he's got both ends of the long snap covered

Reply/Quote
OK, Wilcox re-signed, which puts us at 90. Though he is on Active/PUP with Chido, Collins, and Cochran. 

I.  Signed Players = 64

A.  Offense = 30

1. QB (2): Burrow, Siemian
2. RB (4): Mixon; T. Williams (KR1), C. Brown, Evans (KR2)
3. WR (8): Chase, Higgins, Boyd; Irwin, Morgan, Jones (PR), Iosivas, Taylor (PR)
4. TE (4): I. Smith, Jr., D. Sample, Wilcox (PUP), Asiasi
5. OT (7): O. Brown, J. Williams; Collins (PUP), Carman, Ford, Adeniji, D. Smith.
6. OG (3): Cappa, Volson; Scharping
7. C (2): Karras, T. Hill

B.  Defense = 30

1. DE (7): Hendrickson, Hubbard; Murphy, Ossai, C. Sample, Basham, Gunter
2. NT/DT (5): Reader, BJ Hill; Tupou, Carter, Tufele
3. LB (5): L. Wilson, Pratt; ASG, Bailey, Bachie
4. CB (8): Awuzie (PUP), CTB, Hilton; Turner,  Jones, George, J. Davis, Ivey
5. S (5): D. Hill, Scott; Battle, Anderson, Thomas

C.  Special Teams = 4.

1. PK (1). McPherson.
2. P (2): Robbins, Chrisman
3. LS (1): Adomitis

II.  Practice Squad Players = 13 (77)

1. Jake Browning, QB [R]
2. Kwamie Lassiter, WR [1]
3. Tanner Hudson, TE [4]
4. Nick Bowers, TE [2]
5. Devin Cochran, OT (PUP) [R]
6. Nate Gilliam, G [R]
7. B. Brown, C/G [R]
8. Raymond Johnson III, DE [3]
9. Owen Carney, DE [R]
10. Dominique Davis, DT [1]
11. Keandre Jones, LB [3]
12. Marvell Tell, CB [4]
13. Yusuf Corker, S [R]

III.  UDFA's = 13 (90).

1. Jacob Saylors, RB, East Tennessee State [R]
2. Calvin Tyler, Jr., RB, Utah State [R]
3. Shedrick Jackson, WR, Auburn [R]
4. Malachi Carter, WR, Georgia Tecg [R]
5. Mac Hippenhammer, WR, Miami (OH) [R]
6. Christian Trahan, TE, Houston [R]
7. Jaxson Kirkland, OG, Washington [R]
8. Devonnsha Maxwell, DT, Tennessee-Chattanooga [R]
9. Tautala Pesefea, DT, Arizona State
10. Jaylen Moody, LB, Alabama [R]
11. Shaka Heyward, LB, Duke [R]
12. Tyler Murray, LB, Memphis
13. Larry Brooks III, S, Tulane [R]
------------------------
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2023, 06:15 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: For me I think the line will play out as this:

Smith has not played much in his 2 seasons so he probably has the chance more than any to move the bar in camp to make the squad, but is on outside looking in. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
A lot of guys are going to get cut and many picked up by other teams. How refreshing

Reply/Quote
Just listening to the NFL network and heard something I wasn’t aware of. They lost some key coaches.

Reply/Quote