Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cut to the chase - Zac not playing starters in preseason was a big cause of the loss
(09-12-2022, 12:05 PM)Garrus Wrote: I wonder if this game will change how we approach preseason next year. I doubt it changes much, if at all.

They should definitely reevaluate that.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They certainly showed rust. But I must say what is concerning is that even the backups that did play as well during a preseason didn't look quite as sharp as last year.

It may be worth the struggle early in the season to win games so that the players are fresh for the playoff run, but it's ugly football.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:13 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think they should've gotten more pressure, but they were put in some tough spots.

Ya I agree, I was disappointed with the lack of pressure.  This was an issue last year also if I remember corrctly.

Maybe it just seems that way cause #9 ends up on his a$$ almost every play.  lol
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:05 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Ya I agree, I was disappointed with the lack of pressure.  This was an issue last year also if I remember corrctly.

Maybe it just seems that way cause #9 ends up on his a$$ almost every play.  lol

LoL, yeah, we get to watch way too much pressure against us. We had some pretty good games last year up front and getting sacks. We lost seven sacks when Ogunjobi left town though. Hendrickson had 14 himself. We certainly should have had more than one against Pitt, but they kept us within striking distance with the four first half turnovers, so you gotta tip the ol hat a bit to them for that.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:36 PM)Wyche Wrote: Very fair observation. You're not wrong either. I just think on this particular day, our QB laid the biggest egg and put us at the bottom of a really big hill to climb. Most of the posters on here are acknowledging that, while putting some deserved blame on Zac, Simmons, Pollack, etc. But there are the outliers like I quoted and linked above. Those are the ones I direct my ire at.   Smirk

I agree with you there (the bolded).

And, yea, the quoted person was absurd. Let's not associate with people like that :)
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 07:15 AM)Wyche Wrote: Because none of it matters if you don't turn the ball over 5 times. It was egregious, and some are acknowledging it, but most of you aren't. I wonder why? If this was our last 2 QBs, y'all would've had the pitchforks out.....lol. It's quite the social experiment to see! Yeah, there was a mistake or two here and there by others.....some of which were in OT. When one guy commits five turnovers, it's on him. I love Joe Burrow, it's a laid egg game. But hypocrisy is a pet peeves of mine, and I've sure seen a lot of it trying to deflect blame away from our golden goose. 

As to that TD, you could say the same thing about throwing a pick six couldn't you? But where is the thread about that? See my point?

If Joe is still having these types of games regularly when he's a 5+yr veteran, then the pitchforks will be out, but for now, he's young
 and gonna make these mistakes now and then.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 07:54 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: If Joe is still having these types of games regularly when he's a 5+yr veteran, then the pitchforks will be out, but for now, he's young
 and gonna make these mistakes now and then.

I agree, and I don't think we'll ever see it that bad again. It's just some people have trouble admitting those mistakes probably lost that game.

Reply/Quote
Tomlin played his starters in the preseason and now he's already lost a couple of major pieces. Funny how that works, huh?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:10 AM)Joelist Wrote: There's such a thing as being too afraid of injuries. We were and the result was a Game 1 in front of our hometown fans AND a Division Game to boot where they essentially played like it was preseason because of all the rust. 

The defense sure didn't have any rust.

The reality is that Burrow was horribly rusty and still not physically where he should be.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:01 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea but you gotta understand that public perception is generally "Joe Burrow is elite, the coaching staff is holding him back." Zac was one of the worst head coaches in the NFL before Burrow was drafted (and while he was injured), so it's not a stretch to view it this way. Having a rookie throw the most times in the NFL up to his injury behind a terrible Oline reinforced that perception of incompetence as well.

Zac doesn't help that perception when he makes blatantly bad decisions like not challenging certain plays or not running the clock down enough.
Burrow, on the other hand, was PFF's top graded QB last year, led the league in completion percentage and had a few more major accolades, like most deep touchdown passes etc.

If coaches had a PFF grade, I wouldn't be surprised if Zac was at or near near the bottom of the league. I understand why people are quicker to give Burrow grace than the coaching staff.

That's a load of horseshit right there. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2022, 01:05 AM)sandwedge Wrote: That's a load of horseshit right there. 

Okay.
Reply/Quote