Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutler a Dolphin, AJ McCarron not going anywhere
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/06/jay-cutler-agrees-to-deal-with-dolphins/

Not a big surprise, but the Patriots season just got even easier. The Fins seemed to be their only division opponent that stood up to them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 02:49 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/06/jay-cutler-agrees-to-deal-with-dolphins/

Not a big surprise, but the Patriots season just got even easier.  The Fins seemed to be their only division opponent that stood up to them.

Depends on how good the 'fins manage Cutler's pregame alcohol intake.  You can't put him out there sober, because he plays too tight.  Obviously, you can't let him get sloppy drunk, either.  If you just let him get a good buzz going to loosen him up, the man is deadly, however.
Reply/Quote
There is a good chance that another quarterback will go down this year and there is a chance that AJ McCarron may be traded.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 03:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: There is a good chance that another quarterback will go down this year and there is a chance that AJ McCarron may be traded.

Maybe and highly unlikely. The bengals would have to get a deal they can't refuse for him. I doubt they get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
At this point with what we have, not sure I want to get rid of him. If this is our year, don't we need the security? I mean hey, if we thought we don't have a chance to go all they way, then yes, a trade would be awesome. However, are we there yet? I think with the questions about our OL lingering, we have no choice but to ride it out. Wouldn't you think? What if Dalton gets killed and is out for the year? Many would be livid we let him go when our expectations may be that we put one hellova team on the field.

Reply/Quote
The chances he will ever be traded are somewhere between slim and none. He will be held hostage here until his rookie deal ends and then he walks.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I agree. We need a decent backup QB in the event Dalton goes down. Macaroni should have won the playoff game with Pittsburgh a few years ago. It wasn't his fault we lost.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 04:32 PM)McC Wrote: The chances he will ever be traded are somewhere between slim and none.  He will be held hostage here until his rookie deal ends and then he walks.

Yeah, barring something happening to Andy, he'll ride the clipboard express this season and then right out of the 'Nati.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
They signed Cutler, because he has experience with Dolphins OC, back in Chicago. They wanted someone to come in that already knew the offense, Cutler fits that description. Plus, Dolphins have good rushing attack and nice receiving options. Could be good, could be a dumpster fire. Just depends on which Jay Cutler shows up each Sunday.

I don't think that McCarron was ever even a question to the Dolphins.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
McCarron will not be traded this year, unless a team that does not have a franchise QB needs him. A team like the Dolphins, who will be going right back to Tannehill when he heals, is not going to give up a high draft pick for a QB on the last year of his deal, because they know he will be gone after this season. And McCarron will not want to go to another team to be a backup. He will play it out, then leave...
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 07:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They signed Cutler, because he has experience with Dolphins OC, back in Chicago.  They wanted someone to come in that already knew the offense, Cutler fits that description.  Plus, Dolphins have good rushing attack and nice receiving options.  Could be good, could be a dumpster fire.  Just depends on which Jay Cutler shows up each Sunday.

I don't think that McCarron was ever even a question to the Dolphins.

Agreed.  The Dolphins lost their starting QB before the preseason and decided to get a starting QB who is familiar with the system for $10-13 million.  Compare this to the Vikings losing Bridgewater in the preseason and burning a 1st round pick for Sam Bradford, who has done even less than Cutler.  Seems like a decent move.  Toss in the fact that Cutler's old team tossed him in order to give $16-19 million so Mike Glennon could start for approximately 8 games and you have a real head-scratcher.

I know we as Bengals fans don't realize it, but other franchises have GMs and coaches who are held accountable for 4-win seasons and that is why other franchises scramble to find another starting QB when faced with 16 games of backup QB play.  I doubt Cuter and the Dolphins will set the world on fire, but I can certainly see why moves like this are made in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Was there ever a final verdict on whether AJ M is a free agent after this year or next?

The Bengals are questioning the first year he spent on IR counts towards a season of service.......
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Sounding like Driskell may be able to step into that AJM role according to Lap. If he shows something then maybe we see AJM moved at some point
Reply/Quote
On the other hand..if the o-line gets Dalton killed (or seriously injured) what makes anyone think any other QB will have an easier time? Heck, if the o-line can't protect A QB we could trade half the team for Brady and he'd get killed..
If they're as bad as some people seem to think we may be looking at Driskel as the starter and having to trade for backups backups..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Cutler is terrible. Glad the Bengals didn't waste the $ on this guy.
Reply/Quote
AJ McCarron if not traded this year will be a the Bengals starting QB at some point.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 01:03 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Sounding like Driskell may be able to step into that AJM role according to Lap.   If he shows something then maybe we see AJM moved at some point

Good to see you again, ST. Lucie!

I think AJM is sitting here this year as insurance, then he will hit the open market.  If they didn't trade him for a reported first rounder to Minnesota, then they aren't trading him now.  
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 04:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: At this point with what we have, not sure I want to get rid of him. If this is our year, don't we need the security? I mean hey, if we thought we don't have a chance to go all they way, then yes, a trade would be awesome. However, are we there yet? I think with the questions about our OL lingering, we have no choice but to ride it out. Wouldn't you think? What if Dalton gets killed and is out for the year? Many would be livid we let him go when our expectations may be that we put one hellova team on the field.

[Image: BOnWetACQAA61yf.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 03:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: There is a good chance that another quarterback will go down this year and there is a chance that AJ McCarron may be traded.

there are a few guys left out there that will get called before a 4yr-career backup with 5 starts and a 2-3 record
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 09:36 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: AJ McCarron if not traded this year will be a the Bengals starting QB at some point.

Only way that would happen is if Dalton got hurt, which is possible considering how bad the OL will probably be.
Reply/Quote