Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our OL in a nutshell
(09-16-2017, 11:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Notice how Bodine, Johnson and Fisher's first movement is up, rather than forward?  They all 3 get blown up, sending the play into total chaos.  Also of note, Ogbuehi comes forward, but not low enough, meets the LB at shoulder level, proceeds to get knocked back into the play.  Og should have been aiming to make contact with the defender's inside hip, to turn and drive him away from the play.

That's poor technique coaching.

No it can't be poor technique because Paul Alexander is such a great coach just ask some of his fans on this board.  Lap always talks about getting your pads low for years and this line is very poor in doing that.  Alexander is so over rated by some on this board that I want to throw up in my mouth when someone comes on here and tries to defend his lame techniques.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 06:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're right, Ced and Fisher are likely not the worst draft mistakes of this team.  But, they are certainly worthy to be in the conversation.  Many still consider Andre Smith to be somewhat of a bust, as he's played a total what, 2 complete seasons in what is now his 9th year in the league?

I don't agree with these two guys being the worst draft mistakes.  They were good picks with huge upside but the piss poor coaching by Alexander has ruined them.  Put these two on a different team with a better O line coach and these two would be much better.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 10:29 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: No it can't be poor technique because Paul Alexander is such a great coach just ask some of his fans on this board.  Lap always talks about getting your pads low for years and this line is very poor in doing that.  Alexander is so over rated by some on this board that I want to throw up in my mouth when someone comes on here and tries to defend his lame techniques.

I've really only seen about 3 defenders on this board for Piano Man.

The rest of us think he is a dinosaur of a coach and should have been sh*tcanned many years ago.

Mike Brown's pet.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 06:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're right, Ced and Fisher are likely not the worst draft mistakes of this team.  But, they are certainly worthy to be in the conversation.  Many still consider Andre Smith to be somewhat of a bust, as he's played a total what, 2 complete seasons in what is now his 9th year in the league?

I won't defend the Ced pick from being worthy of a top 5 worst pick spot
But Fisher was a good pick, he's only seen as worse because of Ced.

He's not really a worse pick than Marcus Hardison, Will Clarke, Russell Bodine (trade), Devon Still, Orson Charles, Dontay Moch, Chase Coffman, Jerome Simpson...

I tried capping it at 4th round. But between 2nd and 4th rounders...

Hell, Tyler Boyd was benched for Alex Erickson....

And I could make the argument that one of Gio, Hill or Mixon is the worst 2nd round investment because why the hell do you need to consistently invest this much into RB?!?! 
Reply/Quote
What you guys forget is that 20 years ago someone, somewhere said something nice about Alexander the Great which proves he is highly regarded as one of the best in the business. smdh

Firing Zampese was a good start. Alexander the Great needs to hit the unemployment line too. Don't get me wrong, Dalton isn't doing himself a lot of favors these days, but the team knew OLine was going to be a concern and did absolutely nothing to address it. With a better OLine, we're 1-1 at worst. It blows my mind that Alexander the Great still has a job and how very little Mike Brown values the 3 interior line positions.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 10:45 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I've really only seen about 3 defenders on this board for Piano Man.

The rest of us think he is a dinosaur of a coach and should have been sh*tcanned many years ago.

Mike Brown's pet.

and Fred has been banned momentarily. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 11:24 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I won't defend the Ced pick from being worthy of a top 5 worst pick spot
But Fisher was a good pick, he's only seen as worse because of Ced.

He's not really a worse pick than Marcus Hardison, Will Clarke, Russell Bodine (trade), Devon Still, Orson Charles, Dontay Moch, Chase Coffman, Jerome Simpson...

I tried capping it at 4th round. But between 2nd and 4th rounders...

Hell, Tyler Boyd was benched for Alex Erickson....

And I could make the argument that one of Gio, Hill or Mixon is the worst 2nd round investment because why the hell do you need to consistently invest this much into RB?!?! 

Yes, but the O-line was our best in years except at Center and could have taken an elite pass rusher and took a shot at a playoff run instead of drafting for future before the window closed. 

Understand why they did it but sometimes you need to roll the dice on winning a SB. 

Should not be capped at 4th round either because they were 1st and 2nd round selections. 

Plus Hunt is the worst 2nd round pick as of late. 

Not even speaking about their play either, just had more pressing needs than two projects for the future that season. 

Whit could have been kept to bridge gap as well, and should have been. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 03:03 PM)Joelist Wrote: Agreed. Also, when was the last time we actually formed a proper pocket with a nose the QB can step into? Or actually sealed the end properly so the RB could get outside? And lest we forget Palmer also (with Ghiacuc) had pockets with no nose and it messed up his passing too. 

This is a great question. It is a problem when the center gets thrown into the QB's face almost every play.
Reply/Quote
Hey,you guys got your resumes in! Sounds like any one of you could be the next HC ! Serious!
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 11:34 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Yes, but the O-line was our best in years except at Center and could have taken an elite pass rusher and took a shot at a playoff run instead of drafting for future before the window closed. 

Understand why they did it but sometimes you need to roll the dice on winning a SB. 

Should not be capped at 4th round either because they were 1st and 2nd round selections. 

Plus Hunt is the worst 2nd round pick as of late. 

Not even speaking about their play either, just had more pressing needs than two projects for the future that season. 

Whit could have been kept to bridge gap as well, and should have been. 

I agree. But again, that's on the Ced pick more than Fisher pick. He was a great value in the 2nd and with Whit's age and Andre's contract status, RT was a big need. 

Their overall handling of this roster of late has been largely indefensible. Ignoring major issues at center for 4 years now. Failing to address OL at all in FA this year. 

I just did it because after the 4th round most players stink. But we invested a lot in the 4th round specifically by way of comp picks and those failing is significantly worse than others because it means you let a good player walk more often than not. 
Reply/Quote