Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
D'Ante Smith
(08-18-2021, 02:32 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Don't get me wrong I'm excited to see any of our players excel, but shouldn't we be tempering our expectations on a 4th round rookie after just one game?

I hope he kicks ass and starts game one and dominates, but I don't want to get any hopes up this soon.

Agree yet the Bengals have actually mined a little gold with 4th round picks in Rudi Johnson, Domato Peko, Geno Atkins, and Clint Boling so who knows. 

But we have got our fair share of Russell Bodine's as well so get your point too and will temper my expectations somewhat.   
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 05:50 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree yet the Bengals have actually mined a little gold with 4th round picks in Rudi Johnson, Domato Peko, Geno Atkins, and Clint Boling so who knows. 

But we have got our fair share of Russell Bodine's as well so get your point too and will temper my expectations somewhat.   

Carl Lawson, too.

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 05:50 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree yet the Bengals have actually mined a little gold with 4th round picks in Rudi Johnson, Domato Peko, Geno Atkins, and Clint Boling so who knows. 

I think at some point in the draft, you draw a line after which any value is surplus value.

For me, that is the beginning of the 4th round. 

And I think many NFL front offices feel the same way. New England was willing to throw 2 4th round picks at us to move up 8 picks. That's crazy value (which we appear to have cashed in relatively well) unless you are of the belief that any level of certainty in the draft (if there is any at all) ends with the 3rd round.

So I don't mind when a 4th round pick offers nothing. Getting a 10 year (or, hell, even a 2 year) starter in the 4th round feels like found money. The fact that we've gotten multiple franchise cornerstones in the 4th round makes me feel really good about Smith, Sample and Shelvin's potential to provide value to this team. If even one of them becomes a long term starter or high quality back up, I'd consider the 4th round of 2021 a major success.
Reply/Quote
I guess Larry Ogunjobi has been giving D'Ante Smith a rough week lol.

Quote:PLAYER OF THE DAY: DT Larry Ogunjobi

Ogunjobi missed the first week or so of training camp with a hamstring issue and didn't play Saturday night. But he's been a load to handle, as evidenced by how he broke loose to chase Burrow. He schooled rookie left guard D'Ante Smith all day, particularly in two one-on-one sets. He's been as advertised as one of their big free-agent signings.

"He's been hell on us," Uzomah said. "I don't know if it's fresh legs or not. But he's a beast, I know that."

https://www.bengals.com/news/camp-notebook-message-for-bengals-offense-from-joe-squared-burrow-and-mixon-larr
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 12:04 PM)Synric Wrote: I guess Larry Ogunjobi has been giving D'Ante Smith a rough week lol.

https://www.bengals.com/news/camp-notebook-message-for-bengals-offense-from-joe-squared-burrow-and-mixon-larr

A healthy Ogun is a great test for him.   He's been one of my favorite young DT in the league since his first year and hated the fact that he was a Brown.  I loved the signing and thought we got him at solid value.  
Reply/Quote
Is Larry really good or is Smith just still really raw?
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 12:51 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Is Larry really good or is Smith just still really raw?

Larry is really good. You didnt hear much about
Him as a Brown cause when he putting up numbers
The Browns were still a cellar team. But he was a bright
Spot on a bad defense
Reply/Quote

Well damn... Hope its nothing.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
We got Ogunjobi at value and also are playing him in his correct spot unlike what the Browns did.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 12:51 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Is Larry really good or is Smith just still really raw?

He was making a ton of huge plays in 2018 and 2019.  Over those two seasons among all DTs he ranked 5th in TFLs (20), 6th in solo tackles (68), 11th in QB hits (28), and 12th in sacks (11).

This guy is only 26 years old and has no major injury issues.  He is a great athlete who blew up the combine when he placed first among DTs in both the broad jump and vertical, 3rd in the three-cone, 4th in bench, and 5th in the forty.
Reply/Quote

Hope he plays.

Reply/Quote
Put IV's in both arms and run them puppies wide open. Not sure how professional athletes let themselves get dehydrated. Seems like that is something relatively easy to take care of moreso than muscle pulls, etc.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 02:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not sure how professional athletes let themselves get dehydrated. 

This.

I can see boxers or wrestlers trying to cut weight, but don't know how today's athletes get dehydrated when they concentrate so much on their diet and fluid intake.

Maybe he had a spell of stomach flu or something that caused extreme diarrhea.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 02:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Put IV's in both arms and run them puppies wide open. Not sure how professional athletes let themselves get dehydrated. Seems like that is something relatively easy to take care of moreso than muscle pulls, etc.

Having to try and block Ogun all day will do that to ya.  Cool
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 01:55 PM)Synric Wrote:
Hope he plays.

This shows how ignorant I am.  It takes two days to hydrate someone?  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 04:20 PM)Big Boss Wrote: This shows how ignorant I am.  It takes two days to hydrate someone?  

I am thinking he must have had a stomach or gastrointestinal issue that contributed to the dehydration.

Or based on the history of Bengals reporting injuries he could be dehydrated because he got his leg cut off.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 01:55 PM)Synric Wrote:
Hope he plays.

AKA...hungover
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 04:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: AKA...hungover

I get that. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 04:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: AKA...hungover

Am a dehydrated today as well but had to work anyways lol

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 02:32 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Don't get me wrong I'm excited to see any of our players excel, but shouldn't we be tempering our expectations on a 4th round rookie after just one game?

I hope he kicks ass and starts game one and dominates, but I don't want to get any hopes up this soon.

Something to keep in mind is that this is going to be a big season of "missed" evaluations on rookies. With so many players opting out or playing limited games last season, there was limited film.

Smith opted out after getting injured in the first game of the season. He was viewed as a late round prospect until he blew up the Senior Bowl. There's a chance he could've been viewed as 2nd-3rd round prospect had he played the whole season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote