Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
D'Ante Smith
(08-11-2021, 11:54 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It really is just the depth chart for the 1st pre season game..... and that's all it is. People make too much out of it.

Truth. Getting the backups more snaps in the meaningless games is a good thing, not bad.

Just because MJ and D'Ante are getting snaps as the fake ones means nothing. Only that we are trying to keep our starters 
healthy going into the season in front of Burrow. Haven't heard anything about XSF or Spain playing badly or even Carman.

Carman came in a little overweight is all, this is the way you handle these things.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 02:29 PM)tms Wrote: I see what you're saying but I'd agree more if he were a total surprise. I thought D'Ante Smith was a STUD at the draft (http://http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Official-2021-NFL-Draft-Thread?pid=1026802#pid1026802), and I know a lot of others were talking about him too. You better believe I would have taken him ahead of Carman. I think more was made of his size than was deserved, considering his wrestling background the temperament/discipline that goes along with it, to say nothing of his proficiency for punching above his weight. At the same time, this is pure HYPE right now. He's being used as camp clickbait. I wouldn't get too excited just yet. 

I was a fan of Jackson Carman, D'Ante Smith, and Trey Hill through the process. Carman appeared on my radar through the 2020 CFB Playoffs when he had solid games vs Chase Young and K'Lavon Chaisson. He has a great track record in run blocking and pass protection against NFL competition in the ACC and in big games in the CFB Playoffs.

Trey Hill was anSEC guy people took notice of in 2019/2020 he looked like he was on his way to being one of the top center in the 2021 draft. Knee injuries caused him to have a very inconsistent 2020 season caused him to slip.

D'Ante Smith surprised at the Senior Bowl and I tagged him as a 4th round developmental tackle prospect. http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Trench-Warfare-Top-O-line-Rankings. For a guy that wasnt very big he looked to bury people on his reps. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2021, 10:21 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Here's my thing, like, does it matter if it's Jackson Carman today and D'Ante Smith develops over time? Or, if it's D'Ante Smith today while Jackson Carman develops over time? To me, NO, if doesn't matter. I think results from the draft as a whole are what matters and these guys deserve more time than 2 weeks of a camp to develop before being hammered with questions of "What's wrong".

This X 1000
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 12:36 PM)Synric Wrote: I was a fan of Jackson Carman, D'Ante Smith, and Trey Hill through the process. Carman appeared on my radar through the 2020 CFB Playoffs when he had solid games vs Chase Young and K'Lavon Chaisson. He has a great track record in run blocking and pass protection against NFL competition in the ACC and in big games in the CFB Playoffs.

Trey Hill was anSEC guy people took notice of in 2019/2020 he looked like he was on his way to being one of the top center in the 2021 draft. Knee injuries caused him to have a very inconsistent 2020 season caused him to slip.

D'Ante Smith surprised at the Senior Bowl and I tagged him as a 4th round developmental tackle prospect. http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Trench-Warfare-Top-O-line-Rankings. For a guy that wasnt very big he looked to bury people on his reps. 

Word. My only issue with D’Ante is that he’s played on mediocre teams going back to HS. Insofar as that’s reflective of him- and I don’t know that it is- he may not be the right fit as we try to shed our losing culture.

Hill’s tape has always impressed me. Drops anchor like a pro. I can never tell if it’s Cleveland making him look good or vice versa. Solid pairing regardless. Hill’s a bit weaker in space but more mobile than he looks imo. Never backs down from a bully, either, which I love.

Smith has upside and Hill is steady eddie. I was happy with both picks, esp if Hill is healthy.
Reply/Quote
So far I am happy with D’Ante Smith and with regards to Trey Hill I admit I LOVED watching this guy anchor - he was an immovable object and when they had Shelvin try to bull rush him it was like having two semi tractors head on collide. Carman I am unconcerned about as his actual snaps have been okay and he has flashed but needs to get the weight and exact technique right. This is the kind of draft that lays the foundation stones for a good, sound OL.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 03:55 PM)tms Wrote:
Word. My only issue with D’Ante is that he’s played on mediocre teams going back to HS. Insofar as that’s reflective of him- and I don’t know that it is- he may not be the right fit as we try to shed our losing culture.

Hill’s tape has always impressed me. Drops anchor like a pro. I can never tell if it’s Cleveland making him look good or vice versa. Solid pairing regardless. Hill’s a bit weaker in space but more mobile than he looks imo. Never backs down from a bully, either, which I love.

Smith has upside and Hill is steady eddie. I was happy with both picks, esp if Hill is healthy.

Eh, don't think it is D'Ante's fault he was on bad teams. He played well and that is all that matters took care of his job.

True on Trey Hill, really like this guy's anchor.

(08-11-2021, 06:12 PM)Joelist Wrote: So far I am happy with D’Ante Smith and with regards to Trey Hill I admit I LOVED watching this guy anchor - he was an immovable object and when they had Shelvin try to bull rush him it was like having two semi tractors head on collide. Carman I am unconcerned about as his actual snaps have been okay and he has flashed but needs to get the weight and exact technique right. This is the kind of draft that lays the foundation stones for a good, sound OL.

Those are some big rookies in Shelvin and Trey Hill, damn. Mountains.

Same way I feel, love all 3 picks. It is all preference.
Reply/Quote
In the brief 3-minute video of TC they do on AllBengals or whatever, they showed all the OL doing a drill where they needed to stay low and 2-hand punch a random guy in a line. I don't know if he was the lowest, but Carman's pad level was MUCH-lower than MJ's or Prince's.

Smith looked good as well.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 12:03 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: In the brief 3-minute video of TC they do on AllBengals or whatever, they showed all the OL doing a drill where they needed to stay low and 2-hand punch a random guy in a line. I don't know if he was the lowest, but Carman's pad level was MUCH-lower than MJ's or Prince's.

Smith looked good as well.

That is what you like to see, your OL staying low. With Prince he is just so tall, 6'7" but so is Whit and he is still great.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 04:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Good job recognizing good play by D'Ante. All I want is the best 5 to start as we all should.
Reply/Quote
Even though he f’d up, caused a fumble, and recovered the ball. I love how he pounded the turf in frustration. Really impressed by his fire. You can’t teach that!
Reply/Quote
Once you.get drafted,then.it.doesnt matter where you
Get drafted. I'm just happy a young rookie Olineman
Is actually progressing and looking like he belongs

I just want the 5 best olinemen in front of JB
Regardless of where he was selected
Heck I recall years back David Verser was drafted
Before Cris Collinsworth.
And we now that story turned out.
Reply/Quote
Still can't believe the work this kid put in. Thought this would be a developmental year as a backup that doesn't dress. He has a shot to start. If nobody impresses on the right side do they dare move Spain if these two are one of the top 5?
Reply/Quote
I'm hoping Smith's progression continues. I initially felt that he'd be a game day inactive this season and then battle for the RT job next season, but I could see Smith actually being a long term answer at guard.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 01:31 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'm hoping Smith's progression continues. I initially felt that he'd be a game day inactive this season and then battle for the RT job next season, but I could see Smith actually being a long term answer at guard.

I’d be really surprised if he doesn’t eventually move outside at some point. He just has that prototypical OT size and arm length. I think in a perfect world he takes over for Reiff at RT as early as next year, Carman is ready to play RG by then, and then we really just need a long term LG.

Reply/Quote
I know the jury is still out on D’Ante Smith,but so far I really like what I’ve seen from this guy.To be honest,I didn’t like the Jackson Carman pick.Smith has virtually everything you want to see in an OLineman.The athleticism,size,the really long arms,his work ethic,his intelligence,his technique.I know it’s still early,but I’ll take him over Carman any day.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 12:28 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I know the jury is still out on D’Ante Smith,but so far I really like what I’ve seen from this guy.To be honest,I didn’t like the Jackson Carman pick.Smith has virtually everything you want to see in an OLineman.The athleticism,size,the really long arms,his work ethic,his intelligence,his technique.I know it’s still early,but I’ll take him over Carman any day.

Glad to have them both personally 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 03:18 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Glad to have them both personally 

Damn rights, you cannot teach Carman's ways, he is a mauler that gets of hold of a defender and destroys them.

Nothing against D'Ante but he doesn't have Carman's mauling. It is rare.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 02:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d be really surprised if he doesn’t eventually move outside at some point. He just has that prototypical OT size and arm length. I think in a perfect world he takes over for Reiff at RT as early as next year, Carman is ready to play RG by then, and then we really just need a long term LG.

I know Smith's name was mentioned as a potential RT down the road, but if he excels at one of the guard spots, I'd say let him flourish there. Maybe we'll be lucky and Reiff will play great and we'll sign him for another 1 year deal. Or there will be another solid option in free agency or the draft. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Don't get me wrong I'm excited to see any of our players excel, but shouldn't we be tempering our expectations on a 4th round rookie after just one game?

I hope he kicks ass and starts game one and dominates, but I don't want to get any hopes up this soon.
Reply/Quote