Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
D.J Fluker released by Seattle
(04-26-2020, 08:19 PM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: With the draft over and players now being release/cut I wonder if Fluker would be an upgrade to the line.  Don’t think he had a stellar 2019 but either did the entire Bengals O-line

Without question.  Su'a-Filo has played a lot of LG in his career and Fluker was decent individually at RG on a line that gave up a lot of sacks 

Competition is an upgrade.  They can love their yoing guys but they can pickup another vet to push or start over them.  I saw in his tweet thanking Seattle's fans that he plans on living there still so I wonder how that plays into his decison. 
Reply/Quote
Pass
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 08:19 PM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: With the draft over and players now being release/cut I wonder if Fluker would be an upgrade to the line.  Don’t think he had a stellar 2019 but either did the entire Bengals O-line

He was the 7th worst guard in terms of penalties, with 12, and allowed the third-most sacks with 6.  Hard pass.  Even with that division of defensive studs at SF and the Rams.  Russell Wilson is incredibly mobile.  No way in hell do I want him in Cincy.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 10:19 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Fluker did not have great PFF numbers at guard like 60 or something.  The last 5 games of the season I believe the Bengals line performed better as a unit.  Michael Jordan, as a reference had a rating of 43.7.  But Bobby Hart had a 57.7 rating.

If you break it down by game, or portions of the season, Jordan played very well down the stretch when he returned from injury.  A lot of that was surely due to a schematic shift by the offensive line coach.  They all played better at that point.  Good they figured that out last year.  
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 01:10 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Pass

(04-27-2020, 09:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He was the 7th worst guard in terms of penalties, with 12, and allowed the third-most sacks with 6.  Hard pass.  Even with that division of defensive studs at SF and the Rams.  Russell Wilson is incredibly mobile.  No way in hell do I want him in Cincy.  

I’d bring him in for training camp. Just to show burrow that the bengals are leaving no rock unturned.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 09:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If you break it down by game, or portions of the season, Jordan played very well down the stretch when he returned from injury.  A lot of that was surely due to a schematic shift by the offensive line coach.  They all played better at that point.  Good they figured that out last year.  

I'm all for having faith in Jordan, but it would have made more sense (to me at least) to bring in XSF to compete with him for LG and have another vet (Fluker, Person, etc) hold down the RG. Maybe they still do this, but I'd guess the OGs will be Jordan, XSF, Price, Adeniji, and maybe Redmond. 

Or perhaps we see a surprise and the loser of the RT battle between Johnson and Hart moved to RG?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 10:24 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm all for having faith in Jordan, but it would have made more sense (to me at least) to bring in XSF to compete with him for LG and have another vet (Fluker, Person, etc) hold down the RG. Maybe they still do this, but I'd guess the OGs will be Jordan, XSF, Price, Adeniji, and maybe Redmond. 

Or perhaps we see a surprise and the loser of the RT battle between Johnson and Hart moved to RG?

I requested an answer to the possibility of that to Lyndsey Patterson as she is interviewing Callahan (auto?) today.  
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 10:24 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm all for having faith in Jordan, but it would have made more sense (to me at least) to bring in XSF to compete with him for LG and have another vet (Fluker, Person, etc) hold down the RG. Maybe they still do this, but I'd guess the OGs will be Jordan, XSF, Price, Adeniji, and maybe Redmond. 

This seems very likely.  And throw Adeniji into the mix too.  According to what Callahan said, from the home page, nobody has a job sewn up yet and they intend to have the best five guys out there.  And I'd love to see Jason Peters signed too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 09:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If you break it down by game, or portions of the season, Jordan played very well down the stretch when he returned from injury.  A lot of that was surely due to a schematic shift by the offensive line coach.  They all played better at that point.  Good they figured that out last year.  

A lot of that was due to playing inferior competition compared to the rest of the season.

Over the first 9 games, they played 6 games against a winning team.
Over the last 7 games, they only played 1 game against a winning team.

In the final 7 games, they played 3 teams that picked in the Top-9 in the draft. The only game they played against a winning team in the final 7, they lost 34-13.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 10:53 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: A lot of that was due to playing inferior competition compared to the rest of the season.

In the final 7 games, they played 3 teams that picked in the Top-9 in the draft. The only game they played against a winning team in the final 7, they lost 34-13.

True, but the Bengals also changed their blocking schematic after mid-year and he came back from injury. Keep in mind, also, that there was a revolving door at LT next to him and any offensive line coach will tell you that it has a lot to do with how the group plays as a unit.  When Fred Johnson played LT the last couple games, Jordan played well right along with him.  They did score 35 points against a Dolphins defense that shut down the Patriots and also 33 against the Browns.  Both without AJ Green.  

Here is one quote you might find interesting:

The Bengals might have found something in Jordan, who ranked above players like Rams guards Austin Blythe and Joseph Noteboom in pass blocking, per PFF.
Reply/Quote
This article highlights the offensive line switch and Mixon's improvements as well:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/12/30/21041714/joe-mixon-contract-bengals-news-nfl
Reply/Quote
Considering the FO just gave a vote of confidence in the existing Oline, I doubt they will rush to buy guys getting cut immediately after the draft. Especially a guy like Fluker, drafted #11 in 2013, yet now looking for his 4th team after his 3rd team released him from a cheap contract larded with incentives.
Reply/Quote
I think we sign someone. I’m thinking they wanted to wait until after the draft in case someone fell to them at 33, but now that they didn’t take a meaningful lineman they’ll go back to free agency.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 10:53 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: A lot of that was due to playing inferior competition compared to the rest of the season.

Just stop with the inferior team narrative. It's the NFL for Christ sake.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 11:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: True, but the Bengals also changed their blocking schematic after mid-year and he came back from injury. Keep in mind, also, that there was a revolving door at LT next to him and any offensive line coach will tell you that it has a lot to do with how the group plays as a unit.  When Fred Johnson played LT the last couple games, Jordan played well right along with him.  They did score 35 points against a Dolphins defense that shut down the Patriots and also 33 against the Browns.  Both without AJ Green.  

Here is one quote you might find interesting:

The Bengals might have found something in Jordan, who ranked above players like Rams guards Austin Blythe and Joseph Noteboom in pass blocking, per PFF.

Fred Johnson started 1 game, at the end of the season when the Bengals had the #1 pick locked and the Browns NEEDED to lose because if they won, they would have been 7-9 with a whopping six other teams.

If the Browns win Week 17 they could have dropped from the 10th pick to as far as the 16th depending on how the tie breakers lined up.

Don't put too much in 147 snaps from a UDFA of the very end of a lost season against losing teams.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Is that quote in specific reference to a single game or a time period of games? Because PFF has Jordan rated at 43.7 for the 2019 season, which is basically Ogbuehi at G.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/michael-jordan/28021

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 11:37 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Fred Johnson started 1 game, at the end of the season when the Bengals had the #1 pick locked and the Browns NEEDED to lose because if they won, they would have been 7-9 with a whopping six other teams.

If the Browns win Week 17 they could have dropped from the 10th pick to as far as the 16th depending on how the tie breakers lined up.

Don't put too much in 147 snaps from a UDFA of the very end of a lost season against losing teams.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Is that quote in specific reference to a single game or a time period of games? Because PFF has Jordan rated at 43.7 for the 2019 season, which is basically Ogbuehi at G.

So you're saying the Browns threw that game? Child please......
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 11:33 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Just stop with the inferior team narrative. It's the NFL for Christ sake.

And that means all teams are equally hard to beat? To use a phrase I saw someone use recently, child please.

In the first 9 games, they played FIVE games against teams that played in the Divisional Playoff round. You're going to say just because it's the NFL that playing 5 games against Divisional Playoff teams isn't going to be a truer test of if you're any good than 3 games against teams that picked in the Top 9 in the draft?

(04-27-2020, 11:49 AM)sandwedge Wrote: So you're saying the Browns threw that game? Child please......

I didn't say they threw it, but do you actually think they played as hard to potentially lose 6 spots in the draft as they would have if they were playing for a Wild Card spot?

Reply/Quote
So some here believe Fluker doesn’t even start on our current line? I’m not sure I go with that. It would be awesome if Jordan comes on. I think we would all love that. Always nice to have a solid player in their prime. I understand he didn’t live up to the 11th pick, but he is better then average.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 11:30 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: Considering the FO just gave a vote of confidence in the existing Oline, I doubt they will rush to buy guys getting cut immediately after the draft.  Especially a guy like Fluker, drafted #11 in 2013, yet now looking for his 4th team after his 3rd team released him from a cheap contract larded with incentives.

Larded?  Are you saying he is fat?  LMAO
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 11:37 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Fred Johnson started 1 game, at the end of the season when the Bengals had the #1 pick locked and the Browns NEEDED to lose because if they won, they would have been 7-9 with a whopping six other teams.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

That is Jordan's year-long ranking.  I believe he was in the 70s the last couple games.  Someone shared that a while ago.  Does anyone have the premium package?  And Fred Johnson did something that no LT could all year:  Keep Dalton clean and open up run holes for Mixon.  No wonder they won.  It would be fitting if he won the RT position and played for some time, since we got him from pittsburgh's scrap heap and they got Villenueava from ours.  

I don't buy that the Browns wanted to lose that game.  That's like saying the Bengals wanted to lose the game against the Ravens the final game of the season a few years ago...the Dalton to Boyd play?  

These guys don't have guaranteed jobs (a lot of them, anyways) and they are always trying to put their best on film.  Players don't play half-assed or they find themselves out of a job.  
Reply/Quote