Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DB Logjam
Last year the Bengals carried 5 CBs and 4 safeties. That's 9 total DBs.

Here's who I have as "locks" to make the roster as of 8/12/18.

CBs
William Jackson
Dre Kirkpatrick
Darqueze Denard
KeiVarae Russell

Safeties
Jessie Bates
Shawn Williams
Clayton Fejedelem
George Iloka

That's 8, leaving the following competing for a roster spot

Cbs
CJ Goodwin
D. Phillips
Daevonte Harris
Sojourn Shelton
Tony McRae

Hybrids
Josh Shaw
Tyrice Beverette

Safeties
Brandon Wilson
Trayvon Henderson

I can see Brandon Wilson being the 9th guy, but that leaves no room (if we go with just 9 DBs again) for our two draft picks.

How do you see the DB situation playing out?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Shaw will make the team.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 01:10 AM)Shady Wrote: Last year the Bengals carried 5 CBs and 4 safeties. That's 9 total DBs.

CBs
William Jackson
Dre Kirkpatrick
Darqueze Denard
KeiVarae Russell

Safeties
Jessie Bates
Shawn Williams
Clayton Fejedelem
George Iloka

That's 8, leaving  the following competing for a roster spot

Cbs
CJ Goodwin
D. Phillips
Daevonte Harris
Sojourn Shelton
Tony McRae

Hybrids
Josh Shaw
Tyrice Beverette

Safeties
Brandon Wilson
Trayvon Henderson

I can see Brandon Wilson being the 9th guy, but that leaves no room (if we go with just 9 DBs again) for our two draft picks.

I think Shaw makes the squad, if they carry 10 DBs then Henderson is the man.  I have yet to see Wilson do anything given his limited opportunity.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 01:10 AM)Shady Wrote: Last year the Bengals carried 5 CBs and 4 safeties. That's 9 total DBs.

CBs
William Jackson
Dre Kirkpatrick
Darqueze Denard
KeiVarae Russell

Safeties
Jessie Bates
Shawn Williams
Clayton Fejedelem
George Iloka

That's 8, leaving the following competing for a roster spot

Cbs
CJ Goodwin
D. Phillips
Daevonte Harris
Sojourn Shelton
Tony McRae

Hybrids
Josh Shaw
Tyrice Beverette

Safeties
Brandon Wilson
Trayvon Henderson

I would use the final spot for Wilson. I would also dump S. Williams and Russell for Shaw and the rookie Harris.
Reply/Quote
I don't see them cutting Shaw or Harris. I also see them rolling with 10 cbs this year. 
Reply/Quote
Unless they completely flame out they're going to at least try to keep the recent draft picks on the practice squad or at least that seems to be what they traditionally try to do  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I believe that McRae is injured, so they may be able to hide him on IR or PUP, and I know they like his slot CB ability. Wilson should be getting more of a look as a returner (why the hell isn't he?) and more playing time at safety.

Not very impressed with Shaw of late, but he is the most experienced. Marv usually sticks with that. Hard to say how the young ones have done after one preseason game but none stood out. In fact, the secondary looked really lost against Tyler Bray. To be fair, that was their first NFL action and the Bears had one preseason game under their belt.
Reply/Quote
Im hoping we can trade something from this group to bolster our OL.

Paul Guenther has Leon Hall reggie nelson and Emmanuel Lamur. Maybe he can talk his boss in to trading with us for yet another Bengal
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 03:04 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I would use the final spot for Wilson. I would also dump S. Williams and Russell for Shaw and the rookie Harris.

So you would like to make the team significantly worse?

Can't help but SMH and laugh at these...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I could be wrong, but think last year was 1st in a while they kept 9 DB's, normally it was 10, but we kept at extra WR in 2017 keeping 7 versus 6. I could see that flip in 2018.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Think it will be a strength of the team if Bates helps at all.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
oh, and believe it will unfold as OP suggested with Shaw taking last spot.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 10:50 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I could be wrong, but think last year was 1st in a while they kept 9 DB's, normally it was 10, but we kept at extra WR in 2017 keeping 7 versus 6. I could see that flip in 2018.

Green
Boyd
Ross
Tate
Malone
Erickson

Core could be the odd man out if we kept 10 DBs. Core is good on STs, but a guy like Wilson or Henderson could be as good if not better.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 03:04 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I would use the final spot for Wilson. I would also dump S. Williams and Russell for Shaw and the rookie Harris.

Why would you dump Russell? Very solid back-up and can make plays....
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 08:14 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Im hoping we can trade something from this group to bolster our OL.

Paul Guenther has Leon Hall reggie nelson and Emmanuel Lamur. Maybe he can talk his boss in to trading with us for yet another Bengal

Do the Raiders have any decent Olinemen they might part with? I think we should look for a team with a vet Olineman who is good but being pushed by a young guy on the roster. They might be willing to part with the vet in the name of developing the younger talent.

I have no idea of who that might be.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 03:41 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I don't see them cutting Shaw or Harris. I also see them rolling with 10 cbs this year. 

This.  

Bengals, like most teams, use a 5 DB scheme over two thirds of the time.  Some teams are starting to use a 5 DB scheme as their "base" defense on first down except they have 3 safeties instead of 3 CBs.  This is why the hybrid safety/LB player is becoming more popular.  So I think we will use that scheme at times this season.

I think we definitely roll with 10 DBs.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 02:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.  

Bengals, like most teams, use a 5 DB scheme over two thirds of the time.  Some teams are starting to use a 5 DB scheme as their "base" defense on first down except they have 3 safeties instead of 3 CBs.  This is why the hybrid safety/LB player is becoming more popular.  So I think we will use that scheme at times this season.

Agree,

The hybrid LB/S is going to replace the true MLB position. Teams are going to have 5 and even 6 DB's on the field more and more. The old school run stuffing MLB is going to be joining the FB in NFL history.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 02:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.  

I remember hearing Marvin talk about players competing for "those 4th and 5th spots at corner." That makes me think you're right about us keeping 10. I'm assuming Russell is the 4th CB, but who's going to be the 5th? I bet they're hoping Phillips plays better, because he looked really good as a returner. I hope Harris makes it to PS. He looks like a guy worth developing. 

I'm really torn on all this, because I really like Tony McRae's game. Hope he and Shelton (whom I've alwso heard good things about) make it back to practice soon.

Wilson and Henderson are competing with Shaw for the last safety slot. 
Reply/Quote
Nice thread Shady, think we will keep 10 DB's myself...

William Jackson III
Kirkpatrick
Dennard
Russell
Shaw

Iloka
Shawn (even though i wouldn't mind trading him if we can)
Bates III
Fej
Wilson
Reply/Quote

CBs
William Jackson
Dre Kirkpatrick
Darqueze Denard
KeiVarae Russell

Safeties
Jessie Bates
Shawn Williams
Clayton Fejedelem
George Iloka

That's 8, leaving  the following competing for a roster spot

Cbs
CJ Goodwin
D. Phillips
Daevonte Harris
Sojourn Shelton
Tony McRae

Hybrids
Josh Shaw
Tyrice Beverette

Safeties
Brandon Wilson
Trayvon Henderson

at that point you keep a guy that can play either spot and that's Shaw...

The 2 young draft picks gonna have to step it up if they want to unseat someone.    Or we have 2 for the PS.

CJ Goodwin  might factor in as he gets more comfortable in the system   don't think he played game 1
Reply/Quote