Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DJ Reader held out of mini-camp for toe issue
Reported that he has gout. While it’s being downplayed as nothing serious, I can testify that gout pain is no joke.  Have dealt with gout for the last 20 years and a flare can keep you off your feet for weeks. Controlled with medication and diet. I just wonder whether gout medication might be on the prohibited list as it may be used as a masking agent?  Hope he gets better and stays away from too many outings at Jack Ruby’s.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 11:22 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Reported that he has gout. While it’s being downplayed as nothing serious, I can testify that gout pain is no joke.  Have dealt with gout for the last 20 years and a flare can keep you off your feet for weeks. Controlled with medication and diet. I just wonder whether gout medication might be on the prohibited list as it may be used as a masking agent?  Hope he gets better and stays away from too many outings at Jack Ruby’s.

He may have gotten the gout from the notorious Jack Ruby's.... the infamous knock-off of Jeff Ruby's.  

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 11:25 PM)casear2727 Wrote: He may have gotten the gout from the notorious Jack Ruby's.... the infamous knock-off of Jeff Ruby's.  

Lol, not from Cinci and been out of Ohio for over 20 years. Still love my Bengals.
Reply/Quote
https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/website/PDFs/List-of-Prohibited-Substances_PES_2022.pdf

I don’t see gout medications listed. However, players can take medications on the list with a therapeutic use exception. Such as players taking Vyvanse or other stimulant type medications for ADHD provided they go through the approval process to obtain the exception.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 11:43 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/website/PDFs/List-of-Prohibited-Substances_PES_2022.pdf

I don’t see gout medications listed. However, players can take medications on the list with a therapeutic use exception. Such as players taking Vyvanse or other stimulant type medications for ADHD provided they go through the approval process to obtain the exception.

Probenecid. Listed under masking agents/diuretics. Been taking it daily for almost twenty years to control gout.
Reply/Quote
Love Reader, easily top 3 current Bengal along with Burrow and Chase, but dude has hardly been a picture of health since coming here. Just something to think about when people start talking about handing him that 3rd contract.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 11:22 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Reported that he has gout. While it’s being downplayed as nothing serious, I can testify that gout pain is no joke.  Have dealt with gout for the last 20 years and a flare can keep you off your feet for weeks. Controlled with medication and diet. I just wonder whether gout medication might be on the prohibited list as it may be used as a masking agent?  Hope he gets better and stays away from too many outings at Jack Ruby’s.

If any of his meds are on the prohibited list, his doctors and team can work with the NFL to get him a medical waiver

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 11:51 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Probenecid. Listed under masking agents/diuretics. Been taking it daily for almost twenty years to control gout.

You’re right. But, allopurinol and febuxostat are alternatives to probenecid to prevent gout attacks and I didn’t see them listed. But, if he is being held out it is most likely due to pain from an acute attack and probenecid probably wouldn’t be indicated. The medicines they might use to treat acute gout don’t seem to be on the list.
Reply/Quote

I can relate: I had many yrs experience with suffering from gout. I actually had a surgery on my wrist to remove a buildup of the crystals that can form from the Uric Acid that triggers Gout. 
Its severely painful, debilitating  and no joke. I didn't want to go on the drug (Allopurinol) so I lost weight, started drinking PH alkaline water, reduced the salty meats took and detox supplements and I have an attack maybe once every few yrs now VS every few months. I always wonder when we hear about suspicious NFL injuries especially from the Big guys if its gout. 

Reply/Quote

Rough, happy I have never had gout. One of my older buddies I drink with gets it sometimes, he loves the red wine same as me, but 
dude can hardly walk when he drinks it. Heard tart cherry juice helps. Nettle tea also is good for it.

(06-15-2023, 11:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Love Reader, easily top 3 current Bengal along with Burrow and Chase, but dude has hardly been a picture of health since coming here. Just something to think about when people start talking about handing him that 3rd contract.

If the Gravedigger can play for us, he is worth it. No player on this team can replace him, love BJ Hill but he is more of a hybrid in 
between a NT and 3-tech. We don't make it to the SB or AFCC 2 years in a row without DJ Reader. He should be more affordable 
because he doesn't play all the time and has his bouts with injuries and now this IMO. Plus his age and the fact he isn't a pass 
rushing 3-tech who are way spendy should keep his contract affordable.
Reply/Quote
Update on DJ:

[Image: DAwqcAWXgAEmQoj.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2023, 05:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Update on DJ:

[Image: DAwqcAWXgAEmQoj.jpg]

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
FYI I'm at DJ's football camp with my boy here in Greensboro. He definitely doesn't have gout.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 11:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Love Reader, easily top 3 current Bengal along with Burrow and Chase, but dude has hardly been a picture of health since coming here. Just something to think about when people start talking about handing him that 3rd contract.

This same post could've been made 5 years ago with Geno Atkins name replacing Reader's. I personally didn't like the way that 3rd contract played out. I honestly think Burrow is the only guy on the team worthy of a 3rd contract. Players come and go around the great QBs.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2023, 09:01 PM)jason Wrote: This same post could've been made 5 years ago with Geno Atkins name replacing Reader's. I personally didn't like the way that 3rd contract played out. I honestly think Burrow is the only guy on the team worthy of a 3rd contract. Players come and go around the great QBs.

?

At the time of his extension, Geno had played 121 out of 128 games in his career and all 7 missed games came in the same season from the same single injury that had happened 5 years before his extension, and he was playing at a HoF level that got him named to the HoF All-2010s Team.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2023, 11:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: ?

At the time of his extension, Geno had played 121 out of 128 games in his career and all 7 missed games came in the same season from the same single injury that had happened 5 years before his extension, and he was playing at a HoF level that got him named to the HoF All-2010s Team.

No I get it. I just meant it in the way that people are claiming Reader is one of the best players on the team. Geno was that back then. Maybe Reader is, but we're getting his best years right now. I'm cool on ponying up for a 30 year old D-Lineman.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Reader was FINE and okayed in Logan Wilson's softball game. I wouldn't sweat this news.

Also, I wouldn't pay Reader his asking price into his 30s and wouldninstead look to sign/draft the next guy like him.
Reply/Quote

Injuries are starting! We're doomed!
Freakout
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2023, 01:44 AM)jason Wrote: No I get it. I just meant it in the way that people are claiming Reader is one of the best players on the team. Geno was that back then. Maybe Reader is, but we're getting his best years right now. I'm cool on ponying up for a 30 year old D-Lineman.

Since the regime change, the Bengals have been very smart in how they have utilized free agency.

I guess the fans who paid for the urinal cakes criticizing Mike Brown finally saw a return on their investment. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2023, 01:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Rough, happy I have never had gout. One of my older buddies I drink with gets it sometimes, he loves the red wine same as me, but 
dude can hardly walk when he drinks it. Heard tart cherry juice helps. Nettle tea also is good for it.

If the Gravedigger can play for us, he is worth it. No player on this team can replace him, love BJ Hill but he is more of a hybrid in 
between a NT and 3-tech. We don't make it to the SB or AFCC 2 years in a row without DJ Reader. He should be more affordable 
because he doesn't play all the time and has his bouts with injuries and now this IMO. Plus his age and the fact he isn't a pass 
rushing 3-tech who are way spendy should keep his contract affordable.

Many years back on Christmas Day, for some strange reason the local sports radio show interviewed the steelers nutritionalist, believe she was from Louisville and home for holiday. It was a very lengthy interview, in fact the entire show she was focused on her. She says all these great tips that I've forgotten now but at the end the interviewer stated that all these things she said were wonderful tips. Yet what one thing would she suggest for the average person that was not going to do all the things pro athletes do to help them ?

Her answer was that if she could recommend any one thing for people to do it would be daily consumption of tart cherry juice.  Claimed it was like drinking medicine and it immediately lubricates your joints amongst its benefits.. Tried it when young and still in good shape. Really disliked the taste so I did not drink long enough to tell you if I felt any better from it though. Think I may retry now that I'm old and you've jogged my memory on this forgotten tidbit.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote