End of an era.

A man who let his play speak for him.

Hate to see him leave.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Kinda figured
Reply/Quote
He will be missed. One of the faces of major change in this organization.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 05:12 PM)samhain Wrote: He will be missed. One of the faces of major change in this organization.

Honestly this is best. The injuries at his age and his size just don’t tell me he ever even sniffs previous form. Detroit did us a favor here. Regardless he was an animal here and because of him we now value NT like never before.
Reply/Quote
Reader was one of our best FA's ever. Too bad he had to go. That being said, Detroit is building something over there.....
Reply/Quote
MASSIVE failure on the front office's part. They should not have shied away from an offer that didn't even reach 14M AAV for one of the best Nose tackles in the NFL.

I thought, if the Lions stole him, it would be because of a 3rd year, but they didn't even give him that

The Bengals are fools for not matching this offer.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 05:14 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Honestly this is best.  The injuries at his age and his size just don’t tell me he ever even sniffs previous form.  Detroit did us a favor here.  Regardless he was an animal here and because of him we now value NT like never before.

Was great  for us and wouldn't have made it to playoffs without him but I agree with it at this point with all the uncertainty of his injury 
Will we sigh Tart and whatabout Armstead? My gut tells me Sweat will be gone by the RD 2 pick and wouldn't be surprised if he lands in Balt  as thier 1st pick
Reply/Quote
Well we saw that coming. Lou gets no respect from this FO.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
DJ better have a down year or Duke needs to go. I guess he’s only not in the habit of making other teams better via trades.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
The tragedy by the FO isn't their unwillingness to pay Reader in free agency, the tragedy is whiffing on the draft picks that were supposed to replace him.

Bengals need to get their heads out of their asses when drafting or this will continue to happen as we continue to pay Chase and Burrow.

Along with it, if they didn't whiff on Dax Hill you don't have to sign Geno Stone and that money could have been used to retain Reader.

Draft better, Duke.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
NT and RT are huge huge holes. I hope they sign the San Francisco DT.
Reply/Quote
Definitely sucks to lose Reader. He was a big reason for our playoff success.

Was even worse to see him get injured.
Bengals have had some bad injury luck.
I think we would have won the Super Bowl two years ago if not for losing (3) very important olineman at the end of the year.
Then last year Burrow and Higgins get hurt.

The Lions have been a great story and I'll certainly root for Reader in Detroit as I did with Whit with the Rams.
It's hard to root for the front office making a bonehead move, but I like the players.
I'll root for the front office drafting someone that can fill his shoes.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 05:15 PM)CJD Wrote: MASSIVE failure on the front office's part. They should not have shied away from an offer that didn't even reach 14M AAV for one of the best Nose tackles in the NFL.

I thought, if the Lions stole him, it would be because of a 3rd year, but they didn't even give him that

The Bengals are fools for not matching this offer.

They didnt give him a 3rd year nor some obscene amount of guaranteed money.  9 million guaranteed on a 27 million dollar contract?  That sounds like a fair contract to me.  Bengals made a colossal blunder on this one.  They have a big hole at NT right now and will probably go out and sign a "value" player that isnt as good but cheaper. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 05:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well we saw that coming. Lou gets no respect from this FO.

Bengals have put alot of money and draft capital into the defense in Lou's ten-year in Cincy. Even without DJ Bengals will still have one of the highest paid defense lines in the NFL. The FO and Coaches need to do better job drafting and developing because right now neither side of the ball is doing well in that regard. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 05:22 PM)bengals67 Wrote: NT and RT are huge huge holes. I hope they sign the San Francisco DT.

I like Armstead but he isnt a NT.  Teair Tart is the nose tackle but he is a bit undersized and not on the level Reader is so the Bengals defensive line would be taking a step back.  The Bengals had one of the best NTs in the NFL and could have re-signed him for 13.62 a year but they let him get away.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 05:26 PM)Synric Wrote: Bengals have put alot of money and draft capital into the defense in Lou's ten-year in Cincy. Even without DJ Bengals will still have one of the highest paid defense lines in the NFL. The FO and Coaches need to do better job drafting and developing because right now neither side of the ball is doing well in that regard. 

This x10000

Lou got like the first 5 picks of the draft last year. And what have our interior guys done in the past few drafts? BUST CITY. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 05:26 PM)Synric Wrote: Bengals have put alot of money and draft capital into the defense in Lou's ten-year in Cincy. Even without DJ Bengals will still have one of the highest paid defense lines in the NFL. The FO and Coaches need to do better job drafting and developing because right now neither side of the ball is doing well in that regard. 

The offensive line was one of the highest paid in the NFL last year as well.  The problem is the Bengals cant draft the O line and D line positions so they have to bring in outside talent which ends up putting more of a cap hit to the lines.  They do need to do a better job drafting those positions.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 05:22 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The tragedy by the FO isn't their unwillingness to pay Reader in free agency, the tragedy is whiffing on the draft picks that were supposed to replace him.

Bengals need to get their heads out of their asses when drafting or this will continue to happen as we continue to pay Chase and Burrow.

Along with it, if they didn't whiff on Dax Hill you don't have to sign Geno Stone and that money could have been used to retain Reader.

Draft better, Duke.

Reminiscent of the Oline of 2015 when they blew the draft but refused to adjust and let everyone walk.

Hopefully we get better results.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

This is a very important draft for the Bengals--have to hit it out of the park.

KC hit their draft out of the park right before their two super bowl wins in a row.
A great draft can do wonders.

Bengals are way over-due to hit on Oline and Dline draft picks this year.
It's a neccessity.

If they can hit on an elite OT, NT, and another pick (WR/CB maybe?). That would be huge.
If not, I could see the Bengals being very competitive but coming up short like years past.

With the cap space shrinking (after signing Burrow and Chase), the need to hit on draft picks goes higher and higher.
Reply/Quote