Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DJ Reader signs with DET
Best of luck Reader....
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 05:27 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I like Armstead but he isnt a NT.  Teair Tart is the nose tackle but he is a bit undersized and not on the level Reader is so the Bengals defensive line would be taking a step back.  The Bengals had one of the best NTs in the NFL and could have re-signed him for 13.62 a year but they let him get away.

If he was healthy (he may not even play at all this season), he would have cost a lot more.  

We aren’t even sure how his injury will affect his on field play.

The Bengals need players on the field.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 11:30 PM)3wt Wrote: It's  both.  You don't let a player of his quality walk and you do a better job assessing talent and positioning yourself to get it.  I get that he had an injury history,  but you had one of the best nose tackles in the league right here.  Biggest failure in free agency  since Whitworth 

Wrong, Whitworth was old, not injured & they should've tagged him 2 years. Reader has had 2 devastating injuries in 3 seasons.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 07:13 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Detroit doesn't have to pay Joe Burrow or JaMarr Chase.

They are going to have to pay Goff soon.
Reply/Quote
Brad Holmes has shown he is willing to gamble on injured players and so far it hasn't come back to bite him.
Reply/Quote
From hearing reports, Bengals wanted Reader back but the deal wasn't sweet enough to retain him over DET opportunity.

If reports are true, it makes sense why the Bengals hadn't made a move yet on NT - they were waiting to see what happened with Reader before looking to pivot.

Part of me does think they might panic-sign Tart, although he's not a bad option. He's just not as good as Reader when Reader is fully healthy.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 11:57 PM)J24 Wrote: They play two different positions? (Ones a nose and the other is a 3T)Why would they choose one over the other?

Honestly I don't think the Bengals were that comfortable with Reader's health. I feel they were thinking about Antino Bryant 2.0 with Reader.( for those that don't  know Bryant was a 2010 free agent signing who never played a down for the Bengals)

Yes - two different positions.

Pretty sure Detroit vetted him well enough to sign him.   He'd come back from this type of injury before without any negative fallout.   

He was just SO good at the nose tackle position.  He controlled the line of scrimmage and collapsed the pocket.  He and Hendrickson were the core of the defense.

I don't know Tart.  I hope he's a solid replacement - and if so that he signs.   But Reader was an elite NT.

I mean I don't have privileged information, so maybe they had a quality risk assessment.   But that is not their history.  They tend to make decisions on their gut.  And their gut is typically wrong.

I apologize for being so peevish.   But of all the players on this team that needed to be signed given our significant holes, he was the one.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 01:33 PM)3wt Wrote: Yes - two different positions.

Pretty sure Detroit vetted him well enough to sign him.   He'd come back from this type of injury before without any negative fallout.   

He was just SO good at the nose tackle position.  He controlled the line of scrimmage and collapsed the pocket.  He and Hendrickson were the core of the defense.

I don't know Tart.  I hope he's a solid replacement - and if so that he signs.   But Reader was an elite NT.

I mean I don't have privileged information, so maybe they had a quality risk assessment.   But that is not their history.  They tend to make decisions on their gut.  And their gut is typically wrong.

I apologize for being so peevish.   But of all the players on this team that needed to be signed given our significant holes, he was the one.
Plus, we lost a cool nickname "Grave Digger" and the star pitcher on our football team. 

IF he stays healthy then $14Mil/Yr is a great price; but he never gave us a full season. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Bye DJ.... Cry
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 07:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Also weird how you simultaneously complain about letting Reader, Bell, and Ogunjobi leave... while also belittling their signings as "a bunch of value guys". Are they priceless losses, or are they scrubs that didn't give Lou any talent? Make up your mind.

Guys like Bell and Ogunjobi are not elite, never have been.  They were still much better than what Lou was forced to work with if you replace them with Nick Scott or Zack Carter.  Lou has never had a defense loaded with talent but some of the better talent he did have, the Bengals let leave and they replace it with value guys like Nick Scott or cheaper guys like Dax Hill.  

(03-14-2024, 07:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: "The Defense" didn't make it to the AFCC and the Super Bowl. Joe Burrow being healthy made it to the AFCC and the Super Bowl. They didn't do shit in 2020 (we had Bates, Bell, Reader then) or 2023, but when Joe Burrow is healthy it's magically the defense that is nearly perpetually below average in points allowed that is carrying the team, not the top-3 QB who has a top-10 scoring offense every time he's healthy.

The defense did carry the team to the AFCC and Super Bowl. Anybody saying they didnt is trolling.   In the 2021 playoff run when they went to the Super Bow the defense held Las Vegas to 19 points.  The next game against Tennessee the Bengals offense could only manage 19 points but that's OK because the Bengals defense saved them by holding the Titans to just 16.  Against Kansas City, the Bengals defense held KC to just 3 points in the 2nd half, 24 for the game then in overtime they forced a Mahomes interception that gave the offense the ball at the 45.  In the Super Bowl the Bengals held Los Angeles to 23 points while the Bengals offense only managed 20.  The only game in that playoff run Burrow threw for 300 yards was against Tennessee where the offense scored just 19 points and they still had to rely on the defense to hold Tennessee to just 16 points to win.

In 2022 during the AFCC run, the Bengals faced a Baltimore team that held the Bengals offense to just 17 points.  If not for the defense forcing a turnover and scoring a TD, the Bengals dont even make it past the wild card game because the offense couldnt get it done.  The Buffalo game, Bengals defense holds the Bills to just 10 points.  The Kansas City game the Bengals defense hold KC to 23 while the offense only scores 20.  Burrow and the offense did have a chance to win against Kansas City but their last two drives in the 4th Quarter, Burrow throws an interception on one drive then follows that up with a 7 play, 22 yard drive where they punt the ball which ends up resulting in the KC field goal and win.  Final 2 drives with the game on the line nothing.

In all these different playoff games Burrow has thrown for 300 yards, 1 time.  At no point in any of these games has Burrow thrown a TD in the 4th quarter which is usually crunch time for QB.  It has been the defense that has carried this team to the Super Bowl and AFCC, not the offense.
Reply/Quote
$5.8 mil cap hit this year. $12.2 next.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/cap/

We paid Drew Sample $4.9.

We have the space. You are never gonna convince me this was not a huge eff up. Colossal.

A risk, yes. But one well worth taking. As if a rookie NT isn't a risk.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 01:33 PM)3wt Wrote: Yes - two different positions.

Rankins and Hill are your starters. End of story. If they sign Tart would he be used in goal line short yardage etc.? Maybe that’s the plan. But Rankins and Hill are 1000% the starters
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 08:10 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Best of luck Reader....

^^^^^^^^^This

Reader has moved on, time for us as fans to move on, we can't bring him back. Let's hope it works out for DJ and also works out for us. All of the pissing and moaning will not change him leaving. If a fan's goal to be right versus the team being right or doing well, it is wasted energy (not you Xeno).
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 12:30 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: ^^^^^^^^^This

Reader has moved on, time for us as fans to move on, we can't bring him back. Let's hope it works out for DJ and also works out for us. All of the pissing and moaning will not change him leaving. If a fan's goal to be right versus the team being right or doing well, it is wasted energy (not you Xeno).

Yep Thank them for their Time as a Bengal... And move on to the new crew
Reply/Quote