Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DJ Turner is not only having a great rookie year he may need to START soon
Per Twitter user Blake Jewell (account handle in attachment)

Turner has been targeted 12 times and in those 12 targets has only allowed 4 catches for 33 TOTAL yards(Amazing as a rookie) and a 42.4 opposing QB passer rating.

Those are stats but the eye test tells me he’s a decently better tackler than we thought even for his size and he’s got the recovery ability CTB has in regards to getting back into plays he’s been beat on.

This may be the best draft pick of the draft.

Atp i wil be the 1st poster on here to FIRMLY say DJ Turner should start VS Seattle but ESPECIALLY San Fran.

Attached Files Image(s)

-Housh
Reply/Quote
So obviously saying he should start is me being excessive for the sake of making an interesting thread but he DEFINITELY needs more snaps. For a rookie to be this air tight in coverage is rare and he seems to have bought into Lou’s keep everything in front and tackle defense too.

We need to take some of the missed tackles off the field too so idk how many tackles he’s missed but if he’s doing well there, we may want to have a hard discussion about Mike Hilton. Nick Scott and Hilly are our biggest culprits of missing tackles and it appears Battle will be starting soon so maybe another change is needed and maybe we can get out kissed tackle rate back to last year. Mike just seems to have lost what he had prior to that Chiefs game where they exposed and embarrassed him.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
He's been getting a good number of snaps all year and I don't see that stopping: for all intents and purposes, he's the #3 CB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
He looked good the few series he was in. I could have swore he had a hand or finger injury Sunday but haven't seen or read anything about it. A trainer was walking off the field with him and looked like you was trying to pull or yank on his finger back in place. Dislocated finger ?
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 04:22 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: He looked good the few series he was in. I could have swore he had a hand or finger injury Sunday but haven't seen or read anything about it. A trainer was walking off the field with him and looked like you was trying to pull or yank on his finger back in place. Dislocated finger ?

If it's the one I remember, I saw blood, so it could've just been a cut.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Nah. Not the year for us to be having inevitable rookie mistakes derail the season.

Once the window starts to close next year with Chidio gone? Probably. Not right now though.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 04:22 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: He looked good the few series he was in. I could have swore he had a hand or finger injury Sunday but haven't seen or read anything about it. A trainer was walking off the field with him and looked like you was trying to pull or yank on his finger back in place. Dislocated finger ?

It wasn’t a few series. He started and played almost the whole game. Not sure if he came back in after his injury which was late in the game .
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 03:51 PM)Housh Wrote: So obviously saying he should start is me being excessive for the sake of making an interesting thread but he DEFINITELY needs more snaps. For a rookie to be this air tight in coverage is rare and he seems to have bought into Lou’s keep everything in front and tackle defense too.

We need to take some of the missed tackles off the field too so idk how many tackles he’s missed but if he’s doing well there, we may want to have a hard discussion about Mike Hilton. Nick Scott and Hilly are our biggest culprits of missing tackles and it appears Battle will be starting soon so maybe another change is needed and maybe we can get out kissed tackle rate back to last year. Mike just seems to have lost what he had prior to that Chiefs game where they exposed and embarrassed him.

I don't really think it's much of an exaggeration. His speed is something we certainly need and he's played great when given the opportunity. All our CBs seem to be playing mid so far this year outside of him. 
Reply/Quote
Can he start in place of Hilton?
Hilton has been terrible this year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Turner is progressing rather nicely

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Turner has turned out to be as good or better than advertised. I would not be surprised to see him move into the CB2 role as the season progresses. As fans of the team, we may just have us a sleeper for DROY in the making.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
They need to wrap up and tackle and stop swatting at the ball all the time
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 08:00 PM)KyBengalfan94 Wrote: They need to wrap up and tackle and stop swatting at the ball all the time

He’s a much better hitter than i saw in college

Slight frame too no way anyone thought he was gonna tackle this well this early

I think it’s all effort because there’s no way in hell he should be solo tackling Derrick Henry and i swear i saw him do it once
-Housh
Reply/Quote
So do you put him in the slot?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 08:31 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So do you put him in the slot?

Id put CTB there and have Wuzie and Turner as boundary guys
-Housh
Reply/Quote

I think Turner could end up being good enough that you just put him on WR1 in man situations regardless of where they line up. With his physical tools and him showing out this early (considering it usually takes CBs a while to develop), the sky is the limit. His short area quickness definitely means he could excel from the slot. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2023, 09:08 PM)Housh Wrote: Id put CTB there and have Wuzie and Turner as boundary guys

Got it. Wonder how CTB is blitzing. Mike has had some memorable ones.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I wonder what's up with Mike Hilton didn't realize how rough of a year he was having until this thread. 41 PFF grade yikes.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2023, 04:24 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I wonder what's up with Mike Hilton didn't realize how rough of a year he was having until this thread. 41 PFF grade yikes.

Sometimes you just lose it. He already wasn’t a super athletic guy so if he starts losing speed it’s pretty much over
-Housh
Reply/Quote

Turner is Awuzie's backup. Davis is behind Hilton in the slot. Of course, they can move people around.  
Reply/Quote