Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DL Rotation
Great gusty win by the defense on Sunday! However, moving forward I hope Lou and the staff really consider upping the usage of our DL reserves. I think in order for us to take the next step, Sample, Tufele, Ossai and Murphy have to start getting consistent play. One of my main concerns is that we have made deep playoff runs the last two seasons. Hill, Trey, Hubbard and Reader (save for missing 5 or so games last season) have played a TON of snaps. I understand that these are some of the best conditioned athletes in the world, but eventually fatigue will start to show. I also understand that the offense needs to start sustaining some drives as well to keep the defense fresh, so there is that. Lastly, I would really like to see us make a move for a penetrating 3T from another team. It does not have to be a household name, although would be nice. But someone who can get penetration up the middle. I feel like opposing QB's have too much time in the pocket. Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
Rotations are only good if the guys in the rotation are good. Otherwise all you are doing is taking good players off the field and putting bad players on the field.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 09:12 AM)Knightmare on Elm Street Wrote: Great gusty win by the defense on Sunday! However, moving forward I hope Lou and the staff really consider upping the usage of our DL reserves. I think in order for us to take the next step, Sample, Tufele, Ossai and Murphy have to start getting consistent play. One of my main concerns is that we have made deep playoff runs the last two seasons. Hill, Trey, Hubbard and Reader (save for missing 5 or so games last season) have played a TON of snaps. I understand that these are some of the best conditioned athletes in the world, but eventually fatigue will start to show. I also understand that the offense needs to start sustaining some drives as well to keep the defense fresh, so there is that. Lastly, I would really like to see us make a move for a penetrating 3T from another team. It does not have to be a household name, although would be nice. But someone who can get penetration up the middle. I feel like opposing QB's have too much time in the pocket. Thoughts?

I'll trust Lou.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 09:20 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Rotations are only good if the guys in the rotation are good. Otherwise all you are doing is taking good players off the field and putting bad players on the field.

This. Sample played well against the Seahawks but prior to that anyone not in the starting 4 was awful. All of our DTs behind Hill and Reader are liabilities in both the run and pass. No pass rush outside of Hendrickson from any DE. They thought people would take a step forward and so far everyone has either stayed the same or gone backwards.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 09:12 AM)Knightmare on Elm Street Wrote: Great gusty win by the defense on Sunday! However, moving forward I hope Lou and the staff really consider upping the usage of our DL reserves. I think in order for us to take the next step, Sample, Tufele, Ossai and Murphy have to start getting consistent play. One of my main concerns is that we have made deep playoff runs the last two seasons. Hill, Trey, Hubbard and Reader (save for missing 5 or so games last season) have played a TON of snaps. I understand that these are some of the best conditioned athletes in the world, but eventually fatigue will start to show. I also understand that the offense needs to start sustaining some drives as well to keep the defense fresh, so there is that. Lastly, I would really like to see us make a move for a penetrating 3T from another team. It does not have to be a household name, although would be nice. But someone who can get penetration up the middle. I feel like opposing QB's have too much time in the pocket. Thoughts?
Agreed- Particularly with Oassi and Sample. Both of those guys should be playing a ton of snaps.
(10-18-2023, 09:20 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Rotations are only good if the guys in the rotation are good. Otherwise all you are doing is taking good players off the field and putting bad players on the field.

Duke and Katie should be active during the trade deadline then.  
Andrew Billings would look good in stripes again as a backup NT.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 10:21 AM)J24 Wrote: Agreed- Particularly with Oassi and Sample. Both of those guys should be playing a ton of snaps.

Duke and Katie should be active during the trade deadline then.  
Andrew Billings would look good in stripes again as a backup NT.

Ossai is still coming back from injury and I do not think is 100%. 
Andrew Billings..... Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Everyone hated him when he was here.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 10:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Ossai is still coming back from injury and I do not think is 100%. 
Andrew Billings..... Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Everyone hated him when he was here.

He was pretty good while he was here and he would be a backup for Reader. A 6th or 7th RD should get the deal done.
J24

Reply/Quote
Billings still flashes with LV or wherever he is at now. I still see him from time to time.

Also our offense goes 5+ drives of 3 and outs in games this year. Our Dline has paid the price and we can't really judge them until we fix the Offense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
How's that Myles Murphy been? Is he even on the game day roster? Because sure been nice if Bengals took that tight end the Lions took a few picks after lol.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Bengals as they usually do were drafting for the future instead of going all in to win it all now. That small business mom and pop shop mindset they struggle to shake.

The true miss was Dawand Jones....

Dline won't get help as they gambled on the Oline and loss big. Tee won't be extended because of this either. There is now a need at OC, LG, RT. All will take precedent over everything else once again this offseason.

if RG and C would have worked out, we'd have the luxury to extend Tee, and get the RT early in the draft. Draft a DT early. With the loss of Reader and Tupou, we are in for a little transition period on the line next year.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
We like Vikings. We should check to see if they are sellers yet and if so she what they want for Danielle Hunter or Harrison Phillips.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Since we know the backup IDLs aren't offering much in the pass rush department, I think the Bengals need to look back to Marvin's/Zimmer's old approach of trying to put DEs inside more often to boost the pass rush.

Here are the number of snaps each of the DEs have taken inside:
Murphy - 1
Hendrickson - 3
Hubbard - 3
Sample - 6
Ossai - 1
----------------
Total - 14

Compare that to Zach Carter by himself - 135
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Murphy has flashed a little but also has had limited snaps. Then again we knew going in he was raw and needs to learn pro technique. The big disappointment is Ossai. Alas those are the rotation behind Hubbard and Trey, which is why their snap counts are so high.

Cam Sample is starting to be a presence, and he has playing both DE and DT. Tufele and Tupou are both good DT hammers. Cater needs to step up. I would not mind seeing us add some more depth to the DL to allow a bit more rest for the starters but you have to ask who is cut to make room.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 11:44 AM)Millhouse Wrote: How's that Myles Murphy been? Is he even on the game day roster? Because sure been nice if Bengals took that tight end the Lions took a few picks after lol.

He had the sack a while ago and when i watch he does FLASH elite skill but he’s not consistent yet

Sample coming back and playing well will help us matriculate him more gracefully into the rotation
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 02:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Since we know the backup IDLs aren't offering much in the pass rush department, I think the Bengals need to look back to Marvin's/Zimmer's old approach of trying to put DEs inside more often to boost the pass rush.

Here are the number of snaps each of the DEs have taken inside:
Murphy - 1
Hendrickson - 3
Hubbard - 3
Sample - 6
Ossai - 1
----------------
Total - 14

Compare that to Zach Carter by himself - 135

Sample should 100% be playing inside more! I'm not sure he could do it on run downs though.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 05:40 PM)J24 Wrote: Sample should 100% be playing inside more! I'm not sure he could do it on run downs though.

I'd be looking at Sample, Hubbard, or Murphy to play inside a lot in passing situations.
The only guys I want staying on the edge are Hendrickson and Ossai.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I mentioned this in the free agent thread but why not activate Domenique Davis from the practice squad and see what he does in a real game. He looked good in preseason. If he doesnt show anything in the real game then send him back to the practice squad.
Reply/Quote
1. Sample has been good. I cannot understand what people are griping about there.
2. Ossai has been hurt. He is not all the way healthy yet. No gripes.
3. Murphy is a project in pass rush. Raw. IDK what people were expecting. He is the #5 DE when everyone is healthy. Does hav 1 sack. Does not play much.
4. Carter & Tupou are replacement level players. No big jump from Carter, but did kill a drive with some pressure up the middle early vs Seattle.
5. Tufele has been poor in limited snaps.

If Reader isn't brought back (and I certainly would sign him), we need a NT type. A DT that can provide pressure would also be fantastic. But assuming Jonah walks, RT is a must. LG & C also rank high. And WR too if Tee goes.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 11:44 AM)Millhouse Wrote: How's that Myles Murphy been? Is he even on the game day roster? Because sure been nice if Bengals took that tight end the Lions took a few picks after lol.

You really think that TE would make an impact on this team this year so far? Gronk in his prime would not make an impact on this offense so far you cannot make an impact if they do not target you. You cannot transfer his stats from his current team to ours.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 10:32 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: You really think that TE would make an impact on this team this year so far? Gronk in his prime would not make an impact on this offense so far you cannot make an impact if they do not target you. You cannot transfer his stats from his current team to ours.

Going forward, yes a good tight end would make an impact. When Burrow was hurting, not as much because he couldn't even throw to Chase. But a Gronk in his prime would drastically improve the chances of making and winning the Super Bowl going forward if you are using Gronk as an example.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote