Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DRaft Grades AFCN - Guess who is #1
No doubt and this is just one of many draft graders. Most did not have us beating Steelers or Ravens drafts. Also, as mentioned, this is just one part of off season, add this to our FA grade and how much did we improve the roster so far. Of course many fans like to ignore any Bengals re-signed in FA as a plus so grade us poorly in FA.

I was just shocked anyone had us the best in our division with draft grades. Like I said, I hope that it pans out and we prove it the next few years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 02:16 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I think he has Mathias Askew written all over him. 6'5" 300+lbs DT. Hope not!

Yeah, let's hope he he at least doesn't get tasered.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
They think Bush was the best pick? Even taking into account what it cost them? Not sure I agree with that one.

Glad we’re getting some love though. I’ve made my peace with taking Sample where we did at this point, and other than not getting at least one more LB I’m fairly hopeful about this draft.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 04:12 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: No doubt and this is just one of many draft graders. Most did not have us beating Steelers or Ravens drafts. Also, as mentioned, this is just one part of off season, add this to our FA grade and how much did we improve the roster so far. Of course many fans like to ignore any Bengals re-signed in FA as a plus so grade us poorly in FA.

I was just shocked anyone had us the best in our division with draft grades. Like I said, I hope that it pans out and we prove it the next few years.

Bet ESPN graded us as the worst, but i wouldn't even bother to check with those hacks.

(05-03-2019, 06:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They think Bush was the best pick? Even taking into account what it cost them? Not sure I agree with that one.

Glad we’re getting some love though. I’ve made my peace with taking Sample where we did at this point, and other than not getting at least one more LB I’m fairly hopeful about this draft.

Yes, laughable, they trade up for the guy that cannot wrap up and is not good in coverage is the best pick man.

Shows that the Stoolpit can do no wrong in any of the networks eyes.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 02:03 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: We are our best when under the radar.

I know this is a thing and all but in my opinion, it's actually putting the team down by other teams saying, "It's just the Bengals, we can win this just going through the motions."

Again, that's just my opinion and nothing about you HD. Your post was just the first I've seen it this year.

No, I want other teams to circle the date when the they play the Bengals.
I want other teams to say "Darn, we have to play the Bengals this year."
I want fear and loathing when it comes to plaing the Bengals.

We fans have never had that...ever and I want it.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 03:29 PM)BengalChris Wrote: This is a draft grade, which is different from an off-season grade which would included free agency.

It is funny how they said, "The decision to re-sign Bobby Hart seems a lot less offensive now that he can move into a backup role and Williams can start at right tackle."

Well in your opinion which AFC North team had a better FA period than us? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 01:15 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Drew Sample put us over the top.   Ninja

Tbh, I was aggravated with the Sample pick. So much so, that I decided to research him a bit. What I've ascertained, is that he has the capability of being a weapon. 
He should be a great safety valve type TE, and he's athletic enough to get some serious yardage underneath the coverage. Throw in that he's a beast of a blocker. I actually see some value and potential with this pick. 

Think Ben Watson. I mean I'm not cheerleading for him, but I see where he can work here. He has good hands.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 04:12 PM)bengals67 Wrote: We had to start fixing the offensive line. I think it was a great first step in what wiull be at least a two to three year process.

I like picking the BPA who fills a need rather than BPA, i.e. pcik a corner every year.

I think the OL will surprise.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 09:40 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Tbh, I was aggravated with the Sample pick. So much so, that I decided to research him a bit. What I've ascertained, is that he has the capability of being a weapon. 
He should be a great safety valve type TE, and he's athletic enough to get some serious yardage underneath the coverage. Throw in that he's a beast of a blocker. I actually see some value and potential with this pick. 

Think Ben Watson. I mean I'm not cheerleading for him, but I see where he can work here. He has good hands.

Plus you have to consider the fact he was underutilized in college.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 03:29 PM)BengalChris Wrote: This is a draft grade, which is different from an off-season grade which would included free agency.

It is funny how they said, "The decision to re-sign Bobby Hart seems a lot less offensive now that he can move into a backup role and Williams can start at right tackle."

Even when something goes right?  Some people will still find a wet blanket to throw on the party..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Oline should be fixed. Now about that LB core...
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 07:44 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I know this is a thing and all but in my opinion, it's actually putting the team down by other teams saying, "It's just the Bengals, we can win this just going through the motions."

Again, that's just my opinion and nothing about you HD. Your post was just the first I've seen it this year.

No, I want other teams to circle the date when the they play the Bengals.
I want other teams to say "Darn, we have to play the Bengals this year."
I want fear and loathing when it comes to plaing the Bengals.

We fans have never had that...ever and I want it.

I understand your point. But the last 3 years has made teams think we suck. Plus, the media, for the most part supports that opinion. Let’s not forget we were 4-1 last year with these guys. Cap it off with the fact that we are now healthy, and we have beefed a little bit. Plus, we now have a HC who wants to win.

Teams willing to look past us will get punched in the mouth, and for once, there will be no flags. Teams are not going to respect us anyway because we haven’t won a playoff game for forever and our owner is Mike Brown. Ok,ok,ok,ok (joe Pesci mode). We were self implosive, but I doubt any longer. Better coaching, better atmosphere, better everything (except MB).

Being under the radar gives us a few things. It gives our young team confidence after a couple wins early. That way when teams are not looking past our Bengals, we are more confident in both the players and coaching staff. God forbid it bleeds to the FO! Plus, I think Zac is a great football guy. I’m optimistic about what he is going to bring this team. Also, there’s something in my gut that says all the BS putting this staff together was nothing more than his chess game.

As for circling the date, we have to earn that respect back. But we will this year for sure. This year will be the equivalent of the younger brother punching the older brother in the nads and then peeing on him when he falls.

We are gonna have an awesome year.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 01:49 PM)motoarch Wrote: These are two different things.  Just as an extreme example what if we were in the same division as the pats and they didn't take anyone in the draft.  Would we be better than them just because we had a better draft?

Why should they have more  confidence in our new coaches then any other team? We highered a QB coach not a former head coach with a proven history of winning.

As far as our vets go are they better than the other teams vets?  Were they last year?  Our record says they weren't.

We as Bengals fans have to stop taking everything the media thinks about our team so personaly.  Until this team starts winning they simply aren't going to get any.  It hasn't been earned.

Yup. And everytime the media or talking heads get on the Bengal hype train it derails. We e seen it so m
Any times. I would prefer being under the radar as the under dog.
Reply/Quote
I tend to not get fired up either way, whether it's someone doubting the Bengals or praising them because if you look hard enough, you'll find someone supporting whatever viewpoint it is that you have. Ultimately what matters is what happens on the field. We've headed in an entirely new direction and I'm going to cautiously hope for the best.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 04:12 PM)bengals67 Wrote: We had to start fixing the offensive line. I think it was a great first step in what wiull be at least a two to three year process.

I like picking the BPA who fills a need rather than BPA, i.e. pcik a corner every year.

Jonah is an excellent start to that. He will hopefully put hart on the bench. Also, Jordan should be decent enough to help out as well. I think our line this year will be night and day compared to last year. I’m excited to see all the new faces and changes to the organization. It’s very refreshing
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 06:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They think Bush was the best pick? Even taking into account what it cost them? Not sure I agree with that one.

Everyone thinks the trade for Bush was about beating us and of course that was part of it, but I also think the Steelers organization is legit afraid of Lamar Jackson. At this point, to me, that's an overreaction. I think we can still beat Baltimore even knowing that Lamar will probably try to test our linebackers. He completes less than 60% of his passes and fumbles a lot when he runs (so far he has recovered a lot of those but eventually it is going to be a problem for them). I'm just not sold on him yet. 

Anyways, I think we will have a better run defense this year, even without a flashy draft pick. Good coaching, previous year's picks getting better, and maybe some contribution from the current draft should all help the linebacker corp. And meanwhile I think the DLine will have a really strong year. It is hard not to love Dunlap/Hubbard/(healthy) Lawson on the outside and Geno and whomever is or next best guy on the inside. I know that's no different from last year but another year of experience should especially help some of those DTs improve (I want to believe that Billings will jump from average to something special sometime soon). 

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 06:12 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Everyone thinks the trade for Bush was about beating us and of course that was part of it, but I also think the Steelers organization is legit afraid of Lamar Jackson. At this point, to me, that's an overreaction. I think we can still beat Baltimore even knowing that Lamar will probably try to test our linebackers. He completes less than 60% of his passes and fumbles a lot when he runs (so far he has recovered a lot of those but eventually it is going to be a problem for them). I'm just not sold on him yet. 

Anyways, I think we will have a better run defense this year, even without a flashy draft pick. Good coaching, previous year's picks getting better, and maybe some contribution from the current draft should all help the linebacker corp. And meanwhile I think the DLine will have a really strong year. It is hard not to love Dunlap/Hubbard/(healthy) Lawson on the outside and Geno and whomever is or next best guy on the inside. I know that's no different from last year but another year of experience should especially help some of those DTs improve (I want to believe that Billings will jump from average to something special sometime soon). 

The Ravens put a lot of stock in Lamar. A running QB is one play away from season ending injury. I know any QB can get hurt, but the rules change limiting a QB get hit on the pocket reduced in pocket QB injuries significantly.

The Ravens also have to replace Mosely on defense. I think that will be their biggest negative in 2019, their great defense goes from #1 to #8 to 10. They will still be very good, but an offense that is inconsistent needs a dominate defense to win.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 10:47 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Let’s not forget we were 4-1 last year with these guys.

Why doesn't the 4-1 start excuse apply to Marvin Lewis?  Should we not forget that we were 4-1 with him and Austin and Lazor?  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 09:13 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Why doesn't the 4-1 start excuse apply to Marvin Lewis?  Should we not forget that we were 4-1 with him and Austin and Lazor?  

Fair question. I think his lack of leadership was why we didn’t bounce back after the KC loss. That was the least prepared I’ve seen this team in awhile. He lost the team just like he did in 2017. He refused to take responsibility for losses and poor conditioning and discipline fed into some of the injuries we suffered last year. His game plan was stale along with his heart for coaching.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 01:06 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Shocking, NFL news ranked our draft 1st in the AFCN. I hope they are correct. Nice read below.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001029786/article/afc-north-draft-grades-ravens-get-speedy-steelers-nail-it-early

Not trying to be a wet blanket, as I loved our draft, but the Browns essentially got OBJ for their first round pick and Greedy Williams in Rd 2.  I haven't look in to the rest of their haul yet, but that's a pretty damn good start.  
Reply/Quote