Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vontaze Burfict
(03-18-2019, 12:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Here's a video from a couple days ago:

Thanks, Burfict looks in pretty good shape there. I don't see the same the same muscle tone on Burfict as I do on Moch, he's always just been thick and not body builder type, so that might good sign that he is doing it the right way, without roids. After seeing that video, I don't think he has plans to retire anytime soon. I'm not sure when players can or can't be cut without counting against the cap, but I'd keep him till I can find his replacement or he proves he can play at his level in his good years.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 08:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Y'all are crazy. Defensive coaches are NOT avoiding this place because of Burfict, when he's on, he's one of the best linebackers in the league. There's no word on him being let go yet because they are not letting him go..... Hilarious

(03-18-2019, 10:21 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: This....^^^ why does everyone want to get rid of our best defensive player.

You guys sound like it’s 2015. Burfict hasn’t been anything but unreliable since he blew that playoff game. Not only is he a shell of what he used to be, his overall health and mental well-being are at stake.

He needs to retire, and the team needed to move on from him two years ago.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 12:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have to be kidding.

About all the Browns have done recently is trade their former first round picks for middle to late round picks.  That is the opposite of "rebuilding".

I think if you look at the Browns trade history the last 3 years, you'd give them credit for how they've flipped players for picks. Let's not hate.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 12:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Browns were the team that drafted guys in the 1st Round and traded them for like 4th and 5th Round picks a year or two later. Corey Coleman is one example. There are others. Justin Gilbert comes to mind.

I love how everyone thinks Cleveland is the model franchise because after 15 years of being horrible they have a good roster finally.

Ok. Looks like we need to take a look at the Browns trades the last 3 years. No problem giving props were props is due.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/transactions/

They've cleaned up and gotten good picks for players.

Looking at how they've flipped players for picks, people think they couldn't flip Burfict?

I don't think we are in any position to hate on the Browns. When they rebuilt, they rebuilt. They didn't hang in no mans land like we are not knowing if we want to rebuild or what. We certainly aren't going for it. This front office needs to make up it's mind. 6-10 get's us no franchise qb, or top 10 elite draft players. It gets us right were we are. Stuck in mediocrity.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 01:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: Ok. Looks like we need to take a look at the Browns trades the last 3 years. No problem giving props were props is due.

Looking at how they've flipped players for picks, people think they couldn't flip Burfict?

So you are saying the Bengals should make crappy first round picks and then trade them for middle to late round picks?  That is your rebuilding plan?

EVERY year I hear about how great the Browns are going to be with all the young talent they draft.  So far they have not done shit.  Last year they had a losing record, a 30th ranked defense, and only one win against a team with a winning record.

I like Mayfield and some of their players, but they are the most overhyped team in the league right now.

Browns are replacing one of the best OGs in the league with a guy who only played 14 snaps in his rookie season last year and you think that is a brilliant move, but if the Bengals claimed they were going to fix the LB corps with Malik Jefferson you would laugh at them.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 01:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: Ok. Looks like we need to take a look at the Browns trades the last 3 years. No problem giving props were props is due.

I don't think we are in any position to hate on the Browns. When they rebuilt, they rebuilt. They didn't hang in no mans land like we are not knowing if we want to rebuild or what. We certainly aren't going for it. This front office needs to make up it's mind. 6-10 get's us no franchise qb, or top 10 elite draft players. It gets us right were we are. Stuck in mediocrity.

It's not like they got a 1st for Corey Coleman.

Burfict is a questionable hit or concussion away from his career being over. No team would give up a 1st for that.

The Browns got 1st Round picks by trading their best players. I'm quite sure we could trade Mixon for 1st Round picks. Green, Atkins, and tank.

Why did the Browns waive Jamie Collins Sr. Why didn't they trade him for a pick?
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 01:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you are saying the Bengals should make crappy first round picks and then trade them for middle to late round picks?  That is your rebuilding plan?

EVERY year I hear about how great the Browns are going to be with all the young talent they draft.  So far they have not done shit.  Last year they had a losing record, a 30th ranked defense, and only one win against a team with a winning record.

I like Mayfield and some of their players, but they are the most overhyped team in the league right now.

Browns are replacing one of the best OGs in the league with a guy who only played 14 snaps in his rookie season last year and you think that is a brilliant move, but if the Bengals claimed they were going to fix the LB corps with Malik Jefferson you would laugh at them.

You harp on pistons and others for posting the same thing several times. I’ve seen you post this same thing before.

The guy they are replacing zeitler with was a high second round pick. They seem to like him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Well, if this is true (nothing about it on the home page), color me surprised. While I never made the claim he was our best player on Defense, he was definitely our best linebacker, with the possible exception of Brown.  Guess we're drafting a linebacker in the 1st....
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 01:32 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: You harp on pistons and others for posting the same thing several times.  I’ve seen you post this same thing before.  

The guy they are replacing zeitler with was a high second round pick.  They seem to like him.

Many times when we criticize other people...we're really criticizing ourselves.

Random thought: We haven't won a playoff game in 27+ years.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 01:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Many times when we criticize other people...we're really criticizing ourselves.

Random thought: We haven't won a playoff game in 27+ years.

That’s not so random. It’s fact. It’s like they’re trying to fail. Chaos theory reigns

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 01:44 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: That’s not so random.  It’s fact.  It’s like they’re trying to fail.  Chaos theory reigns

It's like buying a stock. If it declined 27 years in a row and had the same management team, would people be on a message board talking about how year 28 is going to be the year?

Honestly, most teams have won 5+ playoff games since we last won one. The biggest thing we have going for us is probability. It's improbable that we'll continue to not win 1 single playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 12:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Here's a video from a couple days ago:

Damn, he looks leaner... almost has sprinter legs!
That HAS to be a good sign, right?
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 07:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wish there was a way to keep him as a coach so he draws a salary and benefits.  He supposedly is a borderline savant when it comes to reading opposing offenses.  As long as he doesn't go Joey Porter in a game, because here it would be a huge offense.

JERRY Porter..... Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 01:49 AM)samhain Wrote: It's pure conjecture on my part, but I wonder what kind of impact his presence had on the DC search.  It took 7 tries to get a guy in here and by the time they did, it was some slapnuts named Anarumo that I would guess 80 percent of people here had never even heard of.  

I wonder if other candidates said that Tez needed to go if they took the job.  55 was bad and largely unavailable last season.  We all sat and fantasized about how great this team was gonna be when he came back from suspension and they were 3-1.  The defense looked rough, but just wait til 55 is back, I tell ya!  

Well, we waited, but the player we anticipated never materialized, save for the extracurricular antics.  When he did get into games, he was in and out, more often out.  I wonder if his lack of discipline combined with the family's unwillingness to part with him played a role in no DC wanting to touch this job, despite several nice pieces in place.

to try assert that getting a DC coach was harder because of Burfict you have nothing behind that.  We also did not have 7 interviews for DC job, so most of the names mentioned in the search would not even know what the Bengals were thinking for next year since they did not interview.  The organization took a chance on him coming out of college and it worked out at times but with his issues,talent fading and his physical play cut up with him plus contract hit, we let him go
Reply/Quote
Getting something is better then cutting them and getting nothing.

Something they've figured out.

So yea, even if they got a 2020 6th round pick, they would have figured out a way to trade Burfict to Oakland.

That's what you do when you rebuild or "build through the draft". We don't have enough picks to compete this season. So shouldn't we be trying to get more picks?

Reply/Quote