Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DaWand Jones
Comp is Trent Jones, could also see some Jason Peters. Film impresses.

Would be happy taking at No.28 overall.
Reply/Quote
Some people don't understand why you would want to lock in a freak RT for the next 5 years and protect Burrow with a living mountain.

I get it.
Reply/Quote
Jones has elite size and length, but there's concern he won't move well enough to keep speedier/shiftier guys at bay.
With that said, his size and length could give long enough for the defender to get around that Burrow has just enough time to get the ball out.
He's not a bad prospect, but you have to accept some limitations with a dude that size.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Guys like Trent Brown and Mekhi Becton are assets to their team when they're on the field. I like Dawand Jones personally, but I do think that availability is a legitimate concern for some of these literal mammoths at OT. Is his potential upside worth the risk? Jones and Cappa could add an element of bully ball to the offense.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 08:09 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Guys like Trent Brown and Mekhi Becton are assets to their team when they're on the field. I like Dawand Jones personally, but I do think that availability is a legitimate concern for some of these literal mammoths at OT. Is his potential upside worth the risk? Jones and Cappa could add an element of bully ball to the offense.

Bully ball with our offensive firepower is a sexy proposition. Give me Izzy Abanikanda to enforce the speed on the bully ball component. 
Reply/Quote
Darnell Wright had a great combine. Im ok with either.

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 12:12 AM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: Comp is Trent Jones, could also see some Jason Peters. Film impresses.

As a Buckeye Homer, I don't think his game will translate to the NFL. I'm not an expert on OL play, but to me he is heavy footed and gets grabby. He had few drive killing holding penalties. He is a bulldozer going straight ahead though.
Reply/Quote
For those that are interested in his measurements (he didn't run any drills):
height - 6'8"
weight - 374 lb
arm length - 36.375"

No one is getting through him.
There is one option, and that's get around him with speed/moves.
Due to his size and slower feet, he can be beat.

Potential comp - last year's Daniel Faalele, OT Minnesota
Faalele was also 6'8", 384 lbs. Jones has an extra inch on him for arm length.
Much like Jones, Faalele had concerns with his footspeed and agility to stay on faster pass rushers.
In just 101 pass blocking snaps with the Ravens this year, Faalele allowed 10 total pressures including 4 sacks.

Jones is further along and reportedly more athletic than Faalele, but you can only do so much being that big.

I personally would rather go with someone else, but I can understand the appeal of a mountain that purely bullies defenders in the run game.
Don't get mad though if he allows a decent amount of pressures in the pass game.
Teams would (or should) scheme someone out wide from him so he has to try to move a good amount to block them.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 12:12 AM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: Comp is Trent Jones, could also see some Jason Peters. Film impresses.

I am a die hard Buckeyes fan but I would take Darnell Wright over Jones. I believe Jones not participating in the 3 cone and shuttle drills was calculated because they would have shown his lack of movement. He is absolutely a brute and a mountain but he is not a puller and is going to have trouble with speed on the edge at the NFL level in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 05:43 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I am a die hard Buckeyes fan but I would take Darnell Wright over Jones. I believe Jones not participating in the 3 cone and shuttle drills was calculated because they would have shown his lack of movement. He is absolutely a brute and a mountain but he is not a puller and is going to have trouble with speed on the edge at the NFL level in my opinion.

I think many of us would like Darnell Wright, but I think he will be gone by the time we get to pick at 28.  Dawand Jones is a right offensive tackle and excelled in the Buckeye's offense so if he's what there for us at 28-- then we'll have to take him.  

Pff has Jones ranked ahead of Wright but it'll draft Wright ahead of Jones.  So if both are gone Anton Harrison or Matthew Bergeron?
Reply/Quote
If Darnell Wright is gone I would be fine with taking the monster DaWand Jones...
Reply/Quote
I see we have a visit scheduled.

I know during the combine they said he wasn’t available with other Buckeyes for an interview. Because he was still in the medical evaluation and it was taking a long time.

I’m unaware of any injury issues but the medicals are usually the cause when there is an unforeseen drop. Or some unknown to the public character red flag.

Glad we are doing due diligence. Hopefully medical stuff all checks out ok
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 06:15 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: I think many of us would like Darnell Wright, but I think he will be gone by the time we get to pick at 28.  Dawand Jones is a right offensive tackle and excelled in the Buckeye's offense so if he's what there for us at 28-- then we'll have to take him.  

Pff has Jones ranked ahead of Wright but it'll draft Wright ahead of Jones.  So if both are gone Anton Harrison or Matthew Bergeron?

Interesting as of the 4 Tackle prospects you listed, Bergeron has the highest NFL draft profile rating.

Bergeron   6.39
Wright      6.38
Jones       6.32
Harrison   6.27

Make of it what you will, but they must grade on some serious criterium, because the the difference between 6.27 (will develop into an average starter) and 6.39 (will develop into a plus starter) doesn't seem that big at first glance. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 07:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Interesting as of the 4 Tackle prospects you listed, Bergeron has the highest NFL draft profile rating.

Bergeron   6.39
Wright      6.38
Jones       6.32
Harrison   6.27

Make of it what you will, but they must grade on some serious criterium, because the the difference between 6.27 (will develop into an average starter) and 6.39 (will develop into a plus starter) doesn't seem that big at first glance. 

Honestly haven't done much research on Bergeron as Wright has been my guy since I first watched his highlights. 

What kind of a player is Bergeron? I haven't seen anyone really pushing for him unlike the other 3?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 07:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Honestly haven't done much research on Bergeron as Wright has been my guy since I first watched his highlights. 

What kind of a player is Bergeron? I haven't seen anyone really pushing for him unlike the other 3?

Bergeron is the kind of OT you would like Nate.
He can be a force in the run game. 
He has power.
He has experience playing both OT positions.
He didn't test much at the Combine, but he did well in the vert and did ok in the broad.
He measured in with near-ideal size and length at 6'5", 318 lb, and 33.75" arm length.

His pass protection isn't quite as far along as his run blocking though, but that might be ok if he gets a year (or two) under his belt as a swing tackle while a combo of Williams, Carman, and/or Collins covers the starting duties.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 07:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Honestly haven't done much research on Bergeron as Wright has been my guy since I first watched his highlights. 

Bergeron is a good prospect, he just gets less coverage around here because he played in the ACC.  He had plenty of dominating performances for Syracuse, but just like the other 3 on that list, he has his flaws that need to be improved upon.  The real knock on him is narrowish frame and only an arm length of 33.75.  They say he's athletic enough to play Tackle, but needs work on hand placement and anchor (pretty much routine stuff for most prospects).  Some project him to be an All-Pro level run blocker if moved inside, but the same was said about Jackson Carman.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 07:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Interesting as of the 4 Tackle prospects you listed, Bergeron has the highest NFL draft profile rating.

Bergeron   6.39
Wright      6.38
Jones       6.32
Harrison   6.27

Matt Bergeron is a Left Tackle but the right side is what we need.  I'd love to see us get Wright or Jones in Round 1, and Bergeron in round #2.  Same with Harrison being on the left side, but I'm more sold on Bergeron as you state above.  I'd move Jonah to the right side in competition with Wright(or Jones,) and let Bergeron/Carman battle it out for the left side.  Oh, and Collins who? 
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 10:51 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Jones has elite size and length, but there's concern he won't move well enough to keep speedier/shiftier guys at bay.
With that said, his size and length could give long enough for the defender to get around that Burrow has just enough time to get the ball out.
He's not a bad prospect, but you have to accept some limitations with a dude that size.

He's 6'12, has an 18ft wingspan and weighs in at holy shit!. Burrow only needs 3 seconds, and it takes longer than that to get around Jones if he's standing still.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 07:47 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Matt Bergeron is a Left Tackle but the right side is what we need.  I'd love to see us get Wright or Jones in Round 1, and Bergeron in round #2.  Same with Harrison being on the left side, but I'm more sold on Bergeron as you state above.  I'd move Jonah to the right side in competition with Wright(or Jones,) and let Bergeron/Carman battle it out for the left side.  Oh, and Collins who? 

Bergeron played his first two seasons at RT for Syracuse, in fact he was the 1st true Freshman to get starts at Tackle at SU in over 20 years.  This wouldn't be a "left side-right side" thing with Matt Bergeron.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 07:47 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Matt Bergeron is a Left Tackle but the right side is what we need.  I'd love to see us get Wright or Jones in Round 1, and Bergeron in round #2.  Same with Harrison being on the left side, but I'm more sold on Bergeron as you state above.  I'd move Jonah to the right side in competition with Wright(or Jones,) and let Bergeron/Carman battle it out for the left side.  Oh, and Collins who? 

Bergeron played both the left and right.
Starts by year:
2019 - 5 starts at RT
2020 - 3 starts at RT, 8 starts at LT
2021 - 12 starts at LT
2022 - 11 starts at LT
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote