Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dak Prescott
He's playing really well right now. Shredding the Rams secondary. Cowboys may have some hope even if Romo gets hurt again.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 10:02 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: He's playing really well right now. Shredding the Rams secondary. Cowboys may have some hope even if Romo gets hurt again.
I was going to post that Romo should be looking over his shoulder because Prescott looked so good.

I realize that they won't cut Romo this year or start Prescott on such a small sample size, even if he has an amazing preseason, but Romo will be 37 in April, and they backloaded his contract, so it might make sense for them to cut him after this year or next year, especially since he's seemed banged up the past few years.
Reply/Quote
Dallas was 3-1 with Romo and 1-11 without him last year. They need to just get a backup who isn't an outright abortion before anyone worries about Romo attempting to look over his shoulder (with a fractured back, no less!)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 11:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Dallas was 3-1 with Romo and 1-11 without him last year.  They need to just get a backup who isn't an outright abortion before anyone worries about Romo attempting to look over his shoulder (with a fractured back, no less!)

He lost to the only team with a winning record that he played.

How many quarterbacks perform at a high level at the age of 37?

They need to start thinking about the future.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 10:25 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: He lost to the only team with a winning record that he played.

How many quarterbacks perform at a high level at the age of 37?

They need to start thinking about the future.

They are thinking about the future, but I think you might want to pump the brakes on Dak Prescott taking Romo's job.  Romo looking over his shoulder and the Cowboys thinking about the future are two different things.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 02:07 AM)Nately120 Wrote: They are thinking about the future, but I think you might want to pump the brakes on Dak Prescott taking Romo's job.  Romo looking over his shoulder and the Cowboys thinking about the future are two different things.

Backtracking.  I love it  ThumbsUp

Romo has four years (including this year), left on his contract, so anything before that would technically be looking over his shoulder.

However, NFL Total Access just pointed out how Prescott looked so good and they sounded confident and praised him.

Four years left, but I'd be shocked if Prescott isn't starting next year or the year after, which would really mean Romo should have been looking over his shoulder.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 02:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Backtracking.  I love it  ThumbsUp

Romo has four years (including this year), left on his contract, so anything before that would technically be looking over his shoulder.

However, NFL Total Access just pointed out how Prescott looked so good and they sounded confident and praised him.

Four years left, but I'd be shocked if Prescott isn't starting next year or the year after, which would really mean Romo should have been looking over his shoulder.

Please lay off the backtracking talk.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I watched one half of Dak Prescott in college back a few years ago. Thought the guy had the tools and 'gameday swagger' to be a great QB. Was surpised when the QB rankings came out and he wasn't anywhere near the top. I think some off field issues lead to that. He got beat up in a stadium parking lot once? I'm not sure.

Either way... I wish I had proof so I could toot my own horn Tongue (not like the kid has done more than 1 preseason game)

That being said, Romo is better than him for now, and Romo will be in that position until his back finally snaps in half, or his ribs disintegrate.
Reply/Quote
Romo is unquestionably their starter. That said, Prescott played well in his first pro game and it was against a pretty darn good D. Romo is not looking over his shoulder but if he continues to play as well as he did in LA, the Cowboys may have finally found a solid backup QB at the very least.

With Dallas's o-line being what it is, and their RB's being what they are, they don't necessarily need stellar play from the QB position in every game. They can win pounding the rock and throwing when they need to, which is basically what Dak did to the Ram's first string D.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 02:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Backtracking.  I love it  ThumbsUp

Ha, we've seen how committed you are to your extreme positions.  I'll have to say at least you waited to see a single pre-season game before you crowned Dak the inevitable face of the Cowboys. So, when Dak is starting for the Cowboys opening day of 2017 where is Romo? Cleveland?
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 04:19 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Please lay off the backtracking talk.
He's allowed to take shots at me in various other threads, and even this one, but I'm not allowed to point out something that he's doing in this very thread?
(08-16-2016, 03:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ha, we've seen how committed you are to your extreme positions.  I'll have to say at least you waited to see a single pre-season game before you crowned Dak the inevitable face of the Cowboys.  So, when Dak is starting for the Cowboys opening day of 2017 where is Romo?  Cleveland?

It might be 2017, it might be 2018, but how would I have any idea where Romo will end up or how teams' QB needs will change.

Just another attempt at you to draw attention off of your own posts.

I love how you also avoid acknowledging that I'm not the only one saying this and acting like my ideas are "extreme positions."
Reply/Quote
Prescott might turn out to be a good NFL QB, but judging him based on one preseason game is ridiculous.

I'm a big SEC fan and watched him play a few games in college.  He is a big strong guy who put up big numbers both rushing and passing against the toughest competition in the country.  He also was a winner.  Mississippi State won 19 games over the last two seasons and in '14 they had a streak where they beat 3 top 10 teams in 3 weeks.

But it is a big leap from college to the NFL. A large part of his game was running over defenders (2400 rushing yards and 37 rushing tds over last 3 years).  that is not going to happen ion the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Thread bump: Tonight against the Dolphins he was 12-15 for 199 with 2 TD's passing and 2 TD's rushing. Fairly impressive through the first two preseason games. I know the kid has talent and have watched him play several times but I am surprised as anyone at this kind of start to his pro career.
Good job so far and best of luck kid!
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 04:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He's allowed to take shots at me in various other threads, and even this one, but I'm not allowed to point out something that he's doing in this very thread?

It might be 2017, it might be 2018, but how would I have any idea where Romo will end up or how teams' QB needs will change.

Just another attempt at you to draw attention off of your own posts.

I love how you also avoid acknowledging that I'm not the only one saying this and acting like my ideas are "extreme positions."

I'm not taking shots at you so much as just pointing out that you tend to fall pretty hard for hype and then you move on to the next.  Honestly, who doesn't Dak Prescott look better than right at this very moment? Romo is old, Romo gets hurt, and Romo got his start because Drew Bledsoe was old and got hurt. I get it, Dak Prescott is lighting up the preseason and Romo is old and could very well be IR-ed after game 3.

This may very well be the passing of the proverbial torch BUT we've also seen QB's drop off the face of the earth after posting regular season stretches of greatness. Nick Foles was supposed to be the franchise savior of the Eagles, Josh McCown was supposed to steal Cutler's job, Josh Freeman had his breakout season and then fell off the radar, so on and so forth. People love a good narrative and the idea that this QB any team could have grabbed was passed over and will lead "America's Team" to greatness against all odds is the sort of headline the NFL has been dying to print since the Romo experiment started looking grim.

Like I said, it's possible Dak is the QB in Dallas next year and Romo is plugged into the Jets or the Browns or something, but I think you get too worked up over any player with a bunch of empty space on his resume.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 12:19 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote:  I know the kid has talent and have watched him play several times but I am surprised as anyone at this kind of start to his pro career.

I thought he was better than  4th round pick, but I did not expect him to come out blazing like this.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 12:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I thought he was better than  4th round pick, but I did not expect him to come out blazing like this.

True, that.  I have to say one of the more "can't make this stuff up" things I saw in the NFL recently was the Titans @ Bucs game to kick off week 1 of the 2015 season.  The team that took Winston at #1 gets to watch the #2 QB they couldahad post a perfect passer rating while kicking their butts on their own field AND their #1 QB throws a pick six on his first NFL pass.

It really looked like the Bucs were going to spend the next 15 years kicking themselves over the choice they clearly blew, but things regressed towards the mean for each team pretty quickly.  But hey, after two Dak-tastic preseason games I'd imagine Cowboys fans are dreading Romo's inevitable broken back a good bit less.
Reply/Quote
Thread Bumpp....Yes, we knew it was unfortunately bound to happen. The inevitable Tony Romo injury...Can anyone say fantasy add!!!
Reply/Quote
With Romo hurt, looks like Prescott has his opportunity to take the job the first half of the season. With Ezekiel in the backfield, the Cowboys might just pull off a surprise this year.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 02:27 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: With Romo hurt, looks like Prescott has his opportunity to take the job the first half of the season. With Ezekiel in the backfield, the Cowboys might just pull off a surprise this year.

Their offense has never been in question (outside of Romo). They have weapons everywhere and if Dak can continue to do well (doubt at the same level), their offense will be fine.

That defense, on the other hand, is a huge struggling point that no one seems to talk about. Gregory is suspended. Hardy is gone. McClain suspended. That defense already struggled against the run as is.

I just don't see that defense really doing much.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 10:02 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: He's playing really well right now. Shredding the Rams secondary. Cowboys may have some hope even if Romo gets hurt again.

A prescient post. Never glad to see someone get hurt, but a (huge Cowboy fan) friend and I were talking about Prescott before Romo got hurt. We agreed that this could be a Bledsoe-Brady, Montana-Young, Favre-Rodgers situation. I think a few weeks into the season the Romo time table may not be a big concern.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote