Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Dalton Draft Pick Trade Bait
(04-15-2020, 11:09 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Not sure if you meant it this way, but I don't understand the logic of wanting to get rid of Shawn Williams before Gio.

Williams has been more impactful the past couple years compared to Gio.
Gio hasn't had 500+ yards from scrimmage in a season since 2017.
Williams has had 6 INTs, 12 PDs, and 224 tackles the past two years.
Their cap hit is about the same too, so it's not like Williams is making a lot more than Gio.

I'd much rather get rid of a backup RB before someone who has started at SS for the past 4 years.

Do you still see Williams as a starter over Von Bell?  I don't.  And Gio hasn't produced because of a lack of opportunity.  Not much he can do offensively when he is being asked to simply pick up blitzes.  I see that changing with more empty back sets.  

Williams has declined and is in his last year of his contract.  Best to have a replacement for him AND Fej before you need them...get them some experience.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 01:48 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Do you still see Williams as a starter over Von Bell?  I don't.  And Gio hasn't produced because of a lack of opportunity.  Not much he can do offensively when he is being asked to simply pick up blitzes.  I see that changing with more empty back sets.  

Williams has declined and is in his last year of his contract.  Best to have a replacement for him AND Fej before you need them...get them some experience.  

I think you might be looking at it wrong then.
I expect to see, at times, all of Bell, Bates, and Williams out there, as I expect one to play nickel LB like Williams did some last year.
Bernard may see the field more but I feel we would have seen that last year if it were going to happen, as last year they needed as much help as they could find due to the injuries to receivers. But they didn't.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 02:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think you might be looking at it wrong then.
I expect to see, at times, all of Bell, Bates, and Williams out there, as I expect one to play nickel LB like Williams did some last year.
Bernard may see the field more but I feel we would have seen that last year if it were going to happen, as last year they needed as much help as they could find due to the injuries to receivers. But they didn't.

I agree about having the three safeties on the field.  I would also consider drafting Tanner Muse in the later rounds to replace Williams as the nickel backer.  Bottom line is I think we can upgrade the defense a lot over Williams.  I think Gio just needs more chances to show his stuff.  I'm worried, though, that Gio isn't the same player after that concussion.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 03:24 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I agree about having the three safeties on the field.  I would also consider drafting Tanner Muse in the later rounds to replace Williams as the nickel backer.  Bottom line is I think we can upgrade the defense a lot over Williams.  I think Gio just needs more chances to show his stuff.  I'm worried, though, that Gio isn't the same player after that concussion.

I have my doubts a late Day 3 pick (what Muse is expected to be, if drafted at all) will become as good as Williams was or even currently is. He sounds more like a worse version of Clayton Fejedelem, who was a backup and STer. Difference is it sounds like Muse is more stiff and slow-footed than Fej and therefore might force him to only be a nickel LB and STer.

I could be ok with adding Muse but I wouldn't expect Muse to replace Williams in 2020. Maybe in 2021 though if/when Williams leaves in FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Andy is staying ready

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 03:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I have my doubts a late Day 3 pick (what Muse is expected to be, if drafted at all) will become as good as Williams was or even currently is. He sounds more like a worse version of Clayton Fejedelem, who was a backup and STer. Difference is it sounds like Muse is more stiff and slow-footed than Fej and therefore might force him to only be a nickel LB and STer.

I could be ok with adding Muse but I wouldn't expect Muse to replace Williams in 2020. Maybe in 2021 though if/when Williams leaves in FA.

We just have a very different view of Williams, and now Muse... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 10:15 AM)spazz70 Wrote: NE is still the most likely place but it has nothing or very little to do with Dalton's salary.  The Bengals gave Dalton permission to seek out a trade.  That means that his agent can talk to any team and ask what needs to get done to facilitate the trade.  Let's say Dalton's agent goes to Billicheat and asks.  Bill says well, we will give the Bengals a 4th round pick but Dalton needs to take a contract for 3 years at $10m per year.  Now, there 2 options on the table.  Will the Bengals take a 4th?  Will Dalton and his agent take the new deal in the new contract?  There are 3 parties involved.  Something like this could still happen on draft day, most likely going in to day 3.

That's a great point Spazz! 

I expect that scenerio to happen actually. 

Or, more of a long shot would be contract for contract, Dalton for Thuney. They cancel each other out. But, they'd probably have to give up a late pick to NE as well which would be just fine. 
The only reason I think that could even happen is Bill could find an OG with one of his (3) 3rd round picks. He usually will trade out of the 1st round for an extra 2nd or 3rd and 4th as well. So, he'd have plenty of picks to take a few OG's or Tackles in this draft. 

Now the OL is very solid for Burrow. But, the Bengals would have to work out a long term deal with Thuney as well. 

I'm sure Bill doesn't want to pay Thuney Top 5 OG money over the next 4-5 years. That's not how he does business. 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 04:06 AM)kevin Wrote: Various sources on Google Internet News of Dalton say Bengals just spent a ton in free agency and would love to dump his contract and Bengals can't afford Dalton and Burrow.  There are a few rumors both will be on team, but I believe the stories by Sports Illustrated and such that Bengals just can't afford Dalton and Burrow after their free agent spending spree.

Around early March I heard ESPN or NFL Network saying Dalton to The Bears.  Now rumors are Dalton to Jacksonville.  

If some team steps up to take Dalton's contract for 2020,  and Bengals save that money plus get a draft pick. look for it to happen.  Don't expect Dalton starting and Burrow on the bench or vise versa.  The Bengals can't spend that much money at QB and Rebuild other needed positions on this 2 win team, and 2018 was pretty bad also, hence Marvin and all coaches fired.  

Be it New Day or Seize The Day,  The firings and rebuild started end of 2018. I believe reports that Bengals can't afford Dalton and Burrow.  If The Bears or Jaguars or any team makes an offer for Dalton, he is gone. Trades do indeed happen at Draft Time.

Here is where Bengals can add that extra draft pick many are wanting to trade back for.  No trade down, just trade Dalton. Keep all those 1st picks in every round for quick rebuild. Paul Brown would not trade any of the top picks in each round.  He would trade a very expensive now #2 QB while drafting a QB with first pick in draft.  Some kind of draft pick would come to Bengals,

If you combine what they would pay Dalton and Burrow, it is too much.  The #1 pick in the draft salary is up there, especially when a QB.  Dalton salary is up there.   They can't cook the books enough to keep both salary cap hits.  Dalton for a Draft Pick is very possible.

Have always thought so especially with us not cutting Dalton this close to the Draft and the Pats cutting one of their backup
QB's and having 12 picks. Jags and the Chargers are definitely in my thoughts as well. Something is going on and like you 
said Kevin, they are not going to keep both Burrow and Dalton. This is a fairy story, nothing more, keeping both.
Reply/Quote
I don’t think a trade for Dalton will happen. Other teams will quietly wait in the wings for the Bengals to release him because they know the Bengals can’t afford his contract with the FA signings. Ultimately i see the Bengals releasing Dalton after no trade offers are made and the Pats jump all over him when he is released.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 04:48 PM)kacymcbryant18 Wrote: Andy is staying ready

Ginger Tarzan son!!!
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
McAfee is a funny dude lol Hilarious

Dalton looks great in that vid though and he is right that he was not the problem here.

The FO, coaches and all the players have been the problem here until this Offseason where it might turn around with
this FA, the coaches learning and Joe Burrow and the Draft. Sorry, don't see Dalton winning a Superbowl with the Pats
even with their great organization if Brady couldn't do it last year with that Defense on the other side.

Dalton upped his stock though that is for sure come Draft night. Great job Andy, love yah bro.

Throwing some missiles there for sure in your back yard with the kids. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 10:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: McAfee is a funny dude lol Hilarious

Dalton looks great in that vid though and he is right that he was not the problem here.

The FO, coaches and all the players have been the problem here until this Offseason where it might turn around with
this FA, the coaches learning and Joe Burrow and the Draft. Sorry, don't see Dalton winning a Superbowl with the Pats
even with their great organization if Brady couldn't do it last year with that Defense on the other side.

Dalton upped his stock though that is for sure come Draft night. Great job Andy, love yah bro.

**** MacAfee. Guy HATES the Bengals. Can’t go one video without talking about “No InDoOR PrAcTiCe FaCiLaTY!!!”

He’s a dummy, too. Thinks Cincinnati is flat...lol

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 10:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: McAfee is a funny dude lol Hilarious

Andy Dalton spent 9 years as a Bengal... Five of those seasons the team made the the playoffs, and two of those five seasons they were legit contenders. NOW they decide to spend on free agents that may have an impact? NOW that the team is at the bottom of the barrel they pony up? They couldn't do it between 2013 and 2015 when they really could've made a run? Better late than never I suppose, but it just goes to show how truly incompetent the organization is.

Andy's done here, but he's proven that he can win games with competent coaching, and playmakers around him.... Every QB needs that. I know his most ardent detractors can't stand to hear that, but it's true.

Go get em Ginger Tarzan... God I wish I'd heard that nickname while he was still here.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
We need to trade him for something. We need a 3rd rounder.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 01:08 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 Unless the Jags new OC (Jay Gruden, who has said he wants Dalton) jumps up and down and forces the Jags hand. They may give up a 4th... 

I sure hope that happens, and I think that is his best fit....

One thing that has been kicked around a lot is how the Bengals are going to "do right" by Andy Dalton...A lot of sarcastic comments were floated around like "why start now", etc.  The fact that we currently are still in a quarantine might have something to do with it.  They won't release Dalton with zero compensation until the process of having OTAs is a done deal and the season will start on time.  I am not sure the NFL will even enforce the July (15th?) deadline on extending contracts or signing the franchise tag.  Once we have some set dates, I think you will see them take action.  Leaving the guy without insurance right now wouldn't be the best thing in the world for him....
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 12:56 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: We need to trade him for something. We need a 3rd rounder.
Right.  A 7th Round is better than cutting him getting nothing.  3rd Round even better. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 09:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I sure hope that happens, and I think that is his best fit....

One thing that has been kicked around a lot is how the Bengals are going to "do right" by Andy Dalton...A lot of sarcastic comments were floated around like "why start now", etc.  The fact that we currently are still in a quarantine might have something to do with it.  They won't release Dalton with zero compensation until the process of having OTAs is a done deal and the season will start on time.  I am not sure the NFL will even enforce the July (15th?) deadline on extending contracts or signing the franchise tag.  Once we have some set dates, I think you will see them take action.  Leaving the guy without insurance right now wouldn't be the best thing in the world for him....

WhoDey2 I agree. Now that Trump is talking about getting sports back up and running (without spectators present. TV only.) We may start to see some hard dates... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2020, 11:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: **** MacAfee. Guy HATES the Bengals. Can’t go one video without talking about “No InDoOR PrAcTiCe FaCiLaTY!!!”

He’s a dummy, too. Thinks Cincinnati is flat...lol

Still made me laugh.

Would be nice to get an indoor practice facility as well.

He doesn't sound like the brightest bulb in the box that is for sure.

(04-15-2020, 11:01 PM)jason Wrote: Andy Dalton spent 9 years as a Bengal... Five of those seasons the team made the the playoffs, and two of those five seasons they were legit contenders. NOW they decide to spend on free agents that may have an impact? NOW that the team is at the bottom of the barrel they pony up? They couldn't do it between 2013 and 2015 when they really could've made a run? Better late than never I suppose, but it just goes to show how truly incompetent the organization is.

Andy's done here, but he's proven that he can win games with competent coaching, and playmakers around him.... Every QB needs that. I know his most ardent detractors can't stand to hear that, but it's true.

Go get em Ginger Tarzan... God I wish I'd heard that nickname while he was still here.

Have always liked Dalton but he has sucked in the Playoffs, no one can deny this.

For sure the time to pony up was in those years where we could of helped him and the Defense get over the hump.

Like you said, better late than never with Burrow coming in. Think Burrow can carry a team on his back unlike Dalton.

Need to help him though and it was a great start on the Defensive side this FA.

Funny damn nickname. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
The anti-Bengals sentiment by the national media is annoying, but criticism for no indoor practice facilities is fair game, just my take.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 03:01 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The anti-Bengals sentiment by the national media is annoying, but criticism for no indoor practice facilities is fair game, just my take.

It is obvious Steeler fans that act like they are unbiased I dislike with a passion.

Is McAfee a Steeler fan is the question?

Cause yeah, that is fair game.
Reply/Quote