Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton League Leading Post/Corner Route QB
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-the-nfls-best-quarterbacks-on-each-route-type-in-2016/

I found this very interesting. Especially in light of the FA losses...

"Best QB targeting post and corner routes (min. 15 targeted attempts): Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals

Dalton was a combined 13-14 for 281 yards and 2 touchdowns on these routes targeting the receiving duo of A.J. Green and Brandon LaFell. However, Dalton also had success throwing to his other receivers. He finished the season completing 29 of 42 passes for 642 yards and 7 touchdowns, earning a league-leading QB rating of 151.3. His completion percentage of 69 also led the league, and only one other QB completed more than 60 percent of post and corner routes. Dalton had his most success versus zone defenses completing 16 of 23 passes for 385 yards and 3 touchdowns. One of the keys to his success may have been his average time to throw of 2.36 seconds, likely due to his aDOT of 18.88 yards (third-shortest out of 32 qualifiers)."

Reply/Quote
Based on that last statement he should smash those numbers this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 07:57 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Based on that last statement he should smash those numbers this year.

Could see 15-20 screens a game Big Grin
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
stats??  bottom line:   6-9-1 Smirk

Reply/Quote
Dalton led the league in efficiency on a pass that averaged nearly 20 yards in the air?

Couldn't be. I've heard that Dalton relies on short passing and doesn't have the arm to be good on such routes.

Btw, that is a near perfect QB rating. 158.3 is the max.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 10:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Dalton led the league in efficiency on a pass that averaged nearly 20 yards in the air?

Couldn't be. I've heard that Dalton relies on short passing and doesn't have the arm to be good on such routes.

Like many other players in the past, he is just an easy target for people's anger.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 09:04 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Could see 15-20 screens a game Big Grin

Why not?  New England is the king of dink and dunk.  They just design it is such a way that the opposing defense is committed to cover other options and they have the patience to get 5-10 yards at a pop.  

If the design is such that the play isn't predictable, I would love to see opposing defenses have to tackle Cody Core, John Ross, and AJ Green with a head of steam....let alone the TE screen, my favorite play, that goes for 10 yards minimum every time we run it....including all 6 times this past year.... Sick
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 11:36 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Why not?  New England is the king of dink and dunk.  They just design it is such a way that the opposing defense is committed to cover other options and they have the patience to get 5-10 yards at a pop.  

If the design is such that the play isn't predictable, I would love to see opposing defenses have to tackle Cody Core, John Ross, and AJ Green with a head of steam....let alone the TE screen, my favorite play, that goes for 10 yards minimum every time we run it....including all 6 times this past year.... Sick

And when the safeties have to spy Gronk and cooks, Edelman and burkhead will carve defenses up underneath.
Reply/Quote
Dalton is not our problem.

With running game almost nonexistent and not much time to throw he did a very admirable job.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 11:43 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: And when the safeties have to spy Gronk and cooks, Edelman and burkhead will carve defenses up underneath.

Exactly why I think a true burner opposite AJ is what really makes this offense roll.  When Henry was out there with TJ and Chad, it was almost unfair.  

We have the Chad in AJ.  I think we can have the TJ in Boyd.  I think Core can be a help on the outside, but to really be a championship-caliber offense they need elite speed outside.

I think the running game could actually be much improved compared to last year.  It was already better with Ced on the bench and Fisher at RT but a massive man like Andre Smith could be better at run blocking than someone people wanted to spend $12 million per year on.  

That, and if you draft Cam Robinson (doubt he slides that far...to the 2nd, but would the Bengals consider trying to trade back in to the 1st to get that extra year before FA?  I sure would) you have someone to push Ced for the starters job at LT and could become an all-pro RG (that could play tackle in a pinch) if Ced pans out.  
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 09:13 PM)RASCAL Wrote: stats??  bottom line:   6-9-1 Smirk

And that's Dalton's fault how???
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 10:32 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Dalton led the league in efficiency on a pass that averaged nearly 20 yards in the air?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it says his aDOT (depth of target) of 18.88yds was third shortest of 32 QB's. Doesn't that re-enforce that he throws shorter passes than most of the rest of the QB's in the league. Not that it matters how long the pass is as long as it gets there.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 09:29 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but it says his aDOT (depth of target) of 18.88yds was third shortest of 32 QB's. Doesn't that re-enforce that he throws shorter passes than most of the rest of the QB's in the league. Not that it matters how long the pass is as long as it gets there.

1. Regardless of how it compares to other QB's, 18.9 yards (on average) is not a short pass. 
2. For all we know, the difference between 10th and 29th in 2 yards. Which wouldn't be much difference. Certainly not enough to make any sort of claim about Dalton's arm.
3. Average pass could be slightly shorter because he had to get rid of the ball faster due to pressure, rather than having an offense tailored for a noodle arm. Which seems more logical?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 08:04 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And that's Dalton's fault how???

This is where the delusional fans think someone like Brady could have done crap with that line last year.  
Reply/Quote
I read that the WR from washington was also pretty good at these routes
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 10:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is where the delusional fans think someone like Brady could have done crap with that line last year.  

This is one of the best posts I've seen on this board because it's completely true. If Tom Brady and Andy Dalton had switched teams in 2016 I can't see the final results being much different. Whether Andy Dalton could have led the Patriots through the playoffs to a Super Bowl win is legitimately debatable but I want to concentrate on what Tom Brady would have experienced in Cincinnati.

Because of their offensive line under the brilliant Dante Scarnecchia, New England has every play in their playbook open to them. The Patriots run block well, pass block well, hit secondary blocks well, and they don't do anything badly. Does their line hold a lot? Yes, but not as egregiously badly as Pittsburgh! Andy Dalton would be dangerous behind that line because when he has sufficient time to throw he's among the best in the league.

Now let's put Tom Brady behind the Cincinnati line from last season. When a line lacks fundamental skills, the entire playbook is not open. In fact, the type of plays a team can run become very limited. Is Tom Brady mobile? Not really. Is he a threat to run? Not really. Is he the best at bouncing around in the pocket awaiting a receiver to get open? Yes he is -- and this time he needs would not be allowed by the sieve-like line play we saw from the Bengals in 2016. He would become a crash test dummy.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 10:34 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is one of the best posts I've seen on this board because it's completely true. If Tom Brady and Andy Dalton had switched teams in 2016 I can't see the final results being much different.  Whether Andy Dalton could have led the Patriots through the playoffs to a Super Bowl win is legitimately debatable but I want to concentrate on what Tom Brady would have experienced in Cincinnati.  

Because of their offensive line under the brilliant Dante Scarnecchia, New England has every play in their playbook open to them.  The Patriots run block well, pass block well, hit secondary blocks well, and they don't do anything badly.  Does their line hold a lot?  Yes, but not as egregiously badly as Pittsburgh!  Andy Dalton would be dangerous behind that line because when he has sufficient time to throw he's among the best in the league.

Now let's put Tom Brady behind the Cincinnati line from last season.  When a line lacks fundamental skills, the entire playbook is not open.  In fact, the type of plays a team can run become very limited.  Is Tom Brady mobile?  Not really?  Is he a threat to run?  Not really.  Is he the best at bouncing around in the pocket awaiting a receiver to get open?  Yes he is -- and this time he needs would not be allowed by the sieve-like line play we saw from the Bengals in 2016.  He would become a crash test dummy.

Dead on.  I know you (and now I) will get a crap-ton of grief for such a statement, but it is 100% accurate.  Dalton was amazing last year with what he had to deal with.  I can't wait to see what he does with a vertical threat like Ross and a better RB than Hill. The offensive line was much improved by benching Ced, but it was too late and alot of their weapons were out injured. 

I am excited for this draft, and although it had a really bad start, FA has picked up steam with the acquisitions of Minter and Smith.  

Dalton will be an MVP candidate next year.  Mark my words.  
Reply/Quote
Andy is a very good QB and a better person.

He deserves way more support from this organization than he is getting at the moment.

Truly wish he could go to Houston where he could  legitimately challenge for the Super Bowl and could move back with his family.

And if Brady had been our QB last year, our record would have been no better and Brady's number may easily have been worse than Dalton"s.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 10:45 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Andy is a very good QB and a better person.

He deserves way more support from this organization than he is getting at the moment.

Truly wish he could go to Houston where he could  legitimately challenge for the Super Bowl and could move back with his family.

In 2017 the Bengals will get closer to the Super Bowl than the Texans will.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton is in no way what hurt this team on offense last season. As we've all said 100,000 times the offensive line is the major problem, (which we seemingly are going to ignore) we suck at run blocking, we suck at pass pro, it was just awful.

We had a nonexistent run game more often than not. We had an inexperienced and under qualified OC who just kept slinging stuff against the wall and hoped something stuck. Hill was used about as stupidly as possible !

For Dalton to do as well as he did under duress as he was is remarkable and speaks to his ability.
Reply/Quote