Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton & O-Line Struggle Today
(08-16-2017, 10:56 AM)Go Cards Wrote: This O-line is scary hold your breath every play bad with what they have shown and we all know who the coach is.

Hopefully they improve quickly and the youngsters develop.

If not we had better be shopping for a 4th and 5th string QB.

The more I think about it, the more in favor I am of trading McCarron for some offensive linemen. Didn't Miami do something similar last year after starting off hell-ishly bad?  
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 04:22 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Damn that is a bad day or our D Line is outstanding. Not sure how true this is, everybody knows only Vigil can get multiple sacks per play. Ninja

I caught that also! Maybe they tackled Andy everytime he got up off the ground??
Reply/Quote
I just did not see the o-line struggling this year. This is a total shock. I'm floored I tells ya. Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 04:22 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Damn that is a bad day or our D Line is outstanding. Not sure how true this is, everybody knows only Vigil can get multiple sacks per play. Ninja

FWIW, and I take PFF with a big grain of salt, but our 3 highest ranked players from the TB game were Chris Smith, Willis, and Lawson, so we definitely seem to be much improved in the pass rush department.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 10:56 AM)Go Cards Wrote: This O-line is scary hold your breath every play bad with what they have shown and we all know who the coach is.

Hopefully they improve quickly and the youngsters develop.

If not we had better be shopping for a 4th and 5th string QB.

We lost our 2 best lineman...off of a group that was bad last year. People confuse thinking Whitworth and Zeitler got overpaid with addition by subtraction.

Whitworth played at Pro Bowl level last year. Zeitler played at near Pro Bowl level. The guys we replaced them with won't play anywhere near that level.

While Og and Bodine may improve some...Improvement for them would be if they are the 22nd best at their position in the league instead of worst.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 11:02 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: The more I think about it, the more in favor I am of trading McCarron for some offensive linemen. Didn't Miami do something similar last year after starting off hell-ishly bad?  

It's probably too late for that.

Here's an idea? With our $18 million in cap space...and the $3 million we gave Smith...why didn't we go out and sign a RG like Ronald Leary? 4 years $36 million for a near Pro Bowl road grader of a Guard.

We'd still have $12 million in cap space.

And people say we have to keep Burfict and Eifert. Well we haven't extended them yet. We have guys like MJ we can waive for more cap space. The cap is supposed to rise next year.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 12:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's probably too late for that.

Here's an idea? With our $18 million in cap space...and the $3 million we gave Smith...why didn't we go out and sign a RG like Ronald Leary? 4 years $36 million for a near Pro Bowl road grader of a Guard.

And people say we have to keep Burfict and Eifert. Well we haven't extended them yet. We have guys like MJ we can waive for more cap space. The cap is supposed to rise next year.

I don't believe we need a right guard. Hopkins and Smith can hold that down. If anything, we need to sign a tackle....
Reply/Quote

But you see, the problem with that is, is that is a GOOD idea. It would have made sense. Hence, why it didn't/won't happen. PA is too stubborn/delusional to think "his guys" are a major liability. He'll roll with this line and not bench struggling players until later in the season (see: Ogbuehi last year).

If only Marvin was aware he had the power to overrule PA... Or maybe he does and agrees with the lineup.. Or maybe Marv is in charge of the lineup... Or maybe Marv isn't allowed to overrule PA... Blech, disgusting to think about no matter how you slice it. 
Reply/Quote

Cuz contrary to popular belief it's the players desicion where he wants to go...even if the Bengals did reach out to him. He signed with the Broncos the first day of free agency.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 12:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't believe we need a right guard. Hopkins and Smith can hold that down. If anything, we need to sign a tackle....

Hopkins showed promise, but can you really say anything about Smith? He didn't play in the first preseason game IIRC?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 01:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hopkins showed promise, but can you really say anything about Smith? He didn't play in the first preseason game IIRC?

If memory serves, Andre has never taken a real snap at guard since high school. 
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 01:07 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: If memory serves, Andre has never taken a real snap at guard since high school. 

That's what I thought. He's really only played RG in TC itself and hasn't played it in a game yet. And he's missed some TC with an injury and IIRC he hasn't been great with the switch anyway based on TC reports. I have more confidence in Westerman, Johnson, or Redmond at RG than I do Smith.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 01:07 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: If memory serves, Andre has never taken a real snap at guard since high school. 

Just in training camps. I remember he moved inside to RG in Bengals camps previous to this one,  but I don't think he took a snaps inside in any of the preseasons.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
What I wish our OL was like:
[Image: main-qimg-c01c18cb5c93eb7c08b473fd61234eb5]

What it actually is:
[Image: c787-c788-c789-c790-c791-sieve.jpg]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 08:58 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think the false narrative would be true if any of us had respect for our OL. I think all of us have reservations, I am trying to be optimistic, but never have I said they looked like a good OL.

I have much more respect for our Oline than i had going into the last game. I saw a very nice running game going on and that will help the pass. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Damn man...portions of the team are going to have a bad day from time to time. 

Save the total meltdowns for when a group has a bad week of practice. 

[Image: yeesh.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
If a defense is going to embarrass our o-line then we better be glad it's happening in training camp with our own D. That should give them a heads up that something has to be done other than wishful thinking. But I'll believe it when I see it.
Reply/Quote

You knew Andre in High school?  Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 02:36 PM)PhilHos Wrote: You knew Andre in High school?  Ninja

Back when Andre was just a B cup.  Mellow

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 12:54 PM)Synric Wrote: Cuz contrary to popular belief it's the players desicion where he wants to go...even if the Bengals did reach out to him. He signed with the Broncos the first day of free agency.

So you speculate that we're going after all of these big name free agents with large contracts...offering them similar...and they're going elsewhere?

Doubtful.

We sit back and wait until most of the teams exhaust their cap space, then we see who's left and offer 1 year value contracts to them. Knowing that the cap space around the league is dried up...some come here.

Then, we look at guys who are going to be free agents in 1-3 years as there will always be some and say the money is being saved to sign them.
Reply/Quote