Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton-agent looked at options
(10-30-2019, 12:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: MB wouldn't trade Dalton for anything reasonable, anyways. Andy plays nice when our last 2 franchise QBs didn't and he's the one left stranded on a bench before his time is up.  Raw deal and MB and ZT look like amateurs at best and snakes at worse. Meh just my negative take.

I gotta agree.....if the dude just wants to play, and you ****** him like that at the deadline.... that's Bush League stuff.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think Chicago could be very good with Dalton. I knew the Bengals wouldn't make any moves though
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 01:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: MB has been on vacation since 1969 or so 

I wish my father had been really successful to the point where I could follow in his footsteps and live the rest of my life off what my dad did and not have to put in any work whatsoever. No, my parents had to be successful only to the point where they could retire in their late 60s and live comfortably themselves but I have to work for a living. :angry:
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 01:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Did front office members of other teams that did nothing (the whole NFL) talking make anyone feel better? What about all the fringe teams who are in the hunt for post season births who did nothing to push to get in? People need to get over the fact there wasn't a flurry of Madden trades, basically no one did anything at the deadline. 

All you are hearing now is a lot of teams talked bu in the end few actually were willing to make deals. There is plenty of time in the off season to trade guys outside of Eiffert, so there wasn't any great loss. Had we moved Eiffert for a future 6th I don't think it was the difference in turning the ship around or not. Ironically enough if we started dumping contracts people would be here telling us that Mike Brown loves this because he doesn't have to pay those guys the rest of the year.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 12:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's amazing Dalton made it this long without being benched here. Many a QB failed. Then one that didn't in Palmer saw the organization was inept and basically gave up millions of dollars...until he was traded.

Dalton may one day qualify to be a saint.

With the shit he's put up with here, he already is in my eyes.....but I supported Carson way back when, so what do I know?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 01:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: Did front office members of other teams that did nothing (the whole NFL) talking make anyone feel better? What about all the fringe teams who are in the hunt for post season births who did nothing to push to get in? People need to get over the fact there wasn't a flurry of Madden trades, basically no one did anything at the deadline. 

All you are hearing now is a lot of teams talked bu in the end few actually were willing to make deals. There is plenty of time in the off season to trade guys outside of Eiffert, so there wasn't any great loss. Had we moved Eiffert for a future 6th I don't think it was the difference in turning the ship around or not. Ironically enough if we started dumping contracts people would be here telling us that Mike Brown loves this because he doesn't have to pay those guys the rest of the year.

Our GM with nearly 30 years of tenure did nothing and said nothing while we are 0-8.  You can't compare that to any other NFL franchise for that reason. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 01:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Our GM with nearly 30 years of tenure did nothing and said nothing while we are 0-8.  You can't compare that to any other NFL franchise for that reason. 

Not sure what that has to do with anything other than just being mad that you are a fan here. As I keep explaining, NO ONE WAS TRADING, especially not at peak price. If we dumped Dalton for a 5th to the Bears yesterday are you happy now? People here had inflated views of what people were willing to pay for players but that wasn't based in reality. If we moved Dunlap for a 4th yesterday, eating his dead cap, are people looking around today smiling thinking we are all good now? No.

The off season is where you'll get better value because teams who had bad seasons will be buying not just a limited number of contenders. That is why all these teams who were rumored to be selling didn't sell, because the price wasn't right. Selling for the sake of selling doesn't make us better. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 01:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: Did front office members of other teams that did nothing (the whole NFL) talking make anyone feel better? What about all the fringe teams who are in the hunt for post season births who did nothing to push to get in? People need to get over the fact there wasn't a flurry of Madden trades, basically no one did anything at the deadline. 

I don't think it's the fact that nothing happened that's made some of us upset. It's the apparent fact that they didn't even TRY. It's one thing to listen to offers and be willing and open to trade players for the right price, but not make any because the offers were no good. However, the Bengals FO supposedly didn't even want to talk about trades with other teams. And that is something they definitely deserve criticism for. It's THAT kind of thing that says they aren't interested in donig whatever it takes to win. It's THAT kind of thing lets us go through the whole 90s without a winning record or gives fans no reason to think we'll do better next season.
Reply/Quote
Honestly don't understand how any fan can be excited with how this went down yesterday. It would be one thing if they had a Carson Palmer-esque quarterback of the future waiting in the wings that they drafted very high up. But it's not, and instead of getting something of better value for Dalton now than in 3 months, they just are going to bench him. Helluva a way to reward him by making him the fall guy for the shit team he is on.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 01:55 PM)PhilHos Wrote:  However, the Bengals FO supposedly didn't even want to talk about trades with other teams.

Zach Taylor said that wasn't true when asked during the interview. Now do you think other GM's would say that stuff because they want us to sell our players to them for cheap? I do. No one was giving guys away yesterday, they all wanted top dollar and the contending teams didn't want to pay top dollar. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 01:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: Not sure what that has to do with anything other than just being mad that you are a fan here. As I keep explaining, NO ONE WAS TRADING, especially not at peak price. If we dumped Dalton for a 5th to the Bears yesterday are you happy now? People here had inflated views of what people were willing to pay for players but that wasn't based in reality. If we moved Dunlap for a 4th yesterday, eating his dead cap, are people looking around today smiling thinking we are all good now? No.

The off season is where you'll get better value because teams who had bad seasons will be buying not just a limited number of contenders. That is why all these teams who were rumored to be selling didn't sell, because the price wasn't right. Selling for the sake of selling doesn't make us better. 

You know what, im sold.  This situation rocks. 
Reply/Quote
This is juvenile stuff. Andy Dalton was notified at 2:30 PM on his birthday he would not start for the Bengals anymore. That gave he and his agent 90 minutes before the trade deadline to find a deal with another team — which is of course impossible.

That makes Mikey Boy look even cheaper than he is and it makes Zac Taylor look like a vindictive, vengeful ass. Andy is Zac and Mike’s safety net and scapegoat all rolled into one. He’s not playing for the Bengals but he’s not playing anywhere else, either. I hope other owners in the NFL took notice of the professionalism Andy showed over the past 24 hours.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 01:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: Zach Taylor said that wasn't true when asked during the interview. 

I'm going to assume that that's because the FO told Zac they were trying when they clearly were not. But, based on history as well as some of the articles where the GMs that di dcall the Bengals and said it wasn't worth the tiem or effort, then I'm going to say either Zac is full of bull or Zac was fed a bunch of bull.

At best, the Bengals were listening to a few offers an countering with impossible ones.
"Hey, Mike, we'll give a 3rd and a 4th for AJ Green."
"How about a 1st and a 2nd?'
"I'll do a 1st or a 2nd and a 4th."
"How about two 1sts?"
"My final offer: a 1st and a 3rd if AJ agrees to a contract extension"
"How about three 1sts and a years supply of Wendy's frostys?"
"uhhhh, let me get back to you."
"KATIE! TELL TROY TO FIRE UP THE LUMINA! I GOT ME A HANKERIN' FOR SOME FROSTY!"
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 12:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I was thinking by this point in their careers Esiason was a Jet and Palmer was headed to AZ right?  I said when we drafted Dalton if he leaves in anger or MB tosses him out I'd probably root for him where he land's ala Boomer and Palmer. 

Come on Daton to the Bears. 

I'm 100% with you on Dalton going to the Bears. I liked Andy, still do, and if he's not going to be playing for the Bengals having him on my hometown team is the absolute next best option. Trubisky is awful, like Gus Ferotte on the Bengals left-handed pass attempt bad. I've watched several Bears games this year and good god he's completely clueless. You put Andy on that team and they're dangerous in the NFC.

I stuck with Boomer when he left, even got a Boomer Jets jersey and would have gotten a Cardinals one if I could have found it (curse you mid 90's lack of internet shopping!) but Palmer was dead to me immediately. The dude outright quit and said "I can't win with this team" and the team went on to 5 straight playoffs immediately after he was gone. To an extent I get why people don't vilify Palmer like I do, and I don't blame them for still liking the guy, but he's 100% the one I won't ever forgive. Win more games than you lose and you buy yourself the benefit of the doubt, win 47% of your games and stay at home crying like a spoiled brat and you don't. Also, I'm convinced he embellished that elbow injury in 2008 like Cordy Glenn with a concussion.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:00 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is juvenile stuff.  Andy Dalton was notified at 2:30 PM on his birthday he would not start for the Bengals anymore.  That gave he and his agent 90 minutes before the trade deadline to find a deal with another team — which is of course impossible.

That makes Mikey Boy look even cheaper than he is and it makes Zac Taylor look like a vindictive, vengeful ass.  Andy is Zac and Mike’s safety net and scapegoat all rolled into one.  He’s not playing for the Bengals but he’s not playing anywhere else, either.  I hope other owners in the NFL took notice of the professionalism Andy showed over the past 24 hours.

ZT is in over his head and he's just a company errand boy.  MB can't be the HC without the NFL stopping him so he's going to appoint the most spineless and unqualified person he can for the job.  Ok, maybe I'm going overboard here but geez....Dave Shula 2.0.

(10-30-2019, 02:08 PM)Ravage Wrote: I'm 100% with you on Dalton going to the Bears. I liked Andy, still do, and if he's not going to be playing for the Bengals having him on my hometown team is the absolute next best option. Trubisky is awful, like Gus Ferotte on the Bengals left-handed pass attempt bad. I've watched several Bears games this year and good god he's completely clueless. You put Andy on that team and they're dangerous in the NFC.

I stuck with Boomer when he left, even got a Boomer Jets jersey and would have gotten a Cardinals one if I could have found it (curse you mid 90's lack of internet shopping!) but Palmer was dead to me immediately. The dude outright quit and said "I can't win with this team" and the team went on to 5 straight playoffs immediately after he was gone. To an extent I get why people don't vilify Palmer like I do, and I don't blame them for still liking the guy, but he's 100% the one I won't ever forgive. Win more games than you lose and you buy yourself the benefit of the doubt, win 47% of your games and stay at home crying like a spoiled brat and you don't. Also, I'm convinced he embellished that elbow injury in 2008 like Cordy Glenn with a concussion.

Ah no foolin, I lived in Chicago from 2011 to summer of 2012.  Dalton for the Bears would be a bit of a throwback to their days of plugging in every vet QB ever, but I'd be all for it.  I have Esiason jerseys in Bengals/Jets/Cardinals....I got the Cardinals one on ebay a few years ago.

I disagree on the Palmer thing, but ehh what can ya do? The guy couldn't win here and then we just followed it with repeats of the 2005 and 2009 season 5 years in a row. It's as streak, but not a very good one. Palmer left before he was broken so he had to take that risk, plus he and Marvin both demanded MB make some necessary changes and when MB said "no" he decided to back up his threat...it's MB...I couldn't deal with the guy if I had to.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 12:42 PM)jj22 Wrote: Andy has to be patient. He'll be freed soon and be great for another team. Even make their Hall of Fame like Palmer did.

And like Palmer, he probably won't ever consider himself a Bengal once he retires and get's a shot with a real franchise.

It's a blessing.

I doubt that very much. Palmer looked great his last two games as a Bengal and you could tell he still had plenty left in the tank. Andy looks done. Broken. Like David Carr in Houston back in the day. I can’t see him ever regaining his 2015 form, even if he goes somewhere with a stellar Oline.

I’d love to be proven wrong, but I just don’t see it happening. Daltons pocket presence, his overall awareness, decision making and throwing ability (even when he’s had time) is a shell of what he used to be.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:04 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm going to assume that that's because the FO told Zac they were trying when they clearly were not. But, based on history as well as some of the articles where the GMs that di dcall the Bengals and said it wasn't worth the tiem or effort, then I'm going to say either Zac is full of bull or Zac was fed a bunch of bull.

At best, the Bengals were listening to a few offers an countering with impossible ones.
"Hey, Mike, we'll give a 3rd and a 4th for AJ Green."
"How about a 1st and a 2nd?'
"I'll do a 1st or a 2nd and a 4th."
"How about two 1sts?"
"My final offer: a 1st and a 3rd if AJ agrees to a contract extension"
"How about three 1sts and a years supply of Wendy's frostys?"
"uhhhh, let me get back to you."
"KATIE! TELL TROY TO FIRE UP THE LUMINA! I GOT ME A HANKERIN' FOR SOME FROSTY!"

People keep saying a 1st, as much as people want to say they were offered a 1st I do not believe for a second they were offered a 1st for a 30+ year old WR coming off multiple foot injuries who needs a new contract. This is part of why the "outrage" is comical, you are basically saying Green is going to pull almost what a healthy OBJ brought in at five years younger and with a long term contract already in place? He is going to pull in more that Jadaveon Clowney? My guess was teams offered a 2nd and a day 3 pick for him with the day 3 pick being conditional on him resigning. 
Reply/Quote
I'm surprised Andy got upset.
He never showed that much emotion on the field
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: People keep saying a 1st, as much as people want to say they were offered a 1st I do not believe for a second they were offered a 1st for a 30+ year old WR coming off multiple foot injuries who needs a new contract. This is part of why the "outrage" is comical, you are basically saying Green is going to pull almost what a healthy OBJ brought in at five years younger and with a long term contract already in place? He is going to pull in more that Jadaveon Clowney? My guess was teams offered a 2nd and a day 3 pick for him with the day 3 pick being conditional on him resigning. 

I'm not saying they were offered a 1st. What I'm saying is that, at best, they were ASKING for a 1st? That's assuming they even took phone calls in regards to trades.

My guess is they were willing to listen to offers and either rejected them outright or counter-offered with a ridiculous offer. Either way, they didn't even TRY (based on all the reports from yesterday).
Reply/Quote