Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton among top ten values in NFL
Remember when folks lost their minds over the Dalton extension? Smirk

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ten-top-value-contracts-in-the-nfl/ar-BBtcOSx?li=BBnba9I#page=11

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
After seeing what DE's were paid this offseason, Dunlap should be somewhere in the top 10. Look at what the Giants paid Vernon. He got more than Dunlaps entire contract in his guarantee. DE's are averaging 14 million a year now and they got Dunlap for 5 years 40 million (nearly half that), and you don't hear a peep from him (or Atkins).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
After the 2014 many thought we overpaid for Dalton. So far, if you average it out over 2014 and 2015, the two years of the contract so far, I'm not sure it's a top 10 bargain.

Reply/Quote
I think he is. The contracts these backups are getting now is crazy. I'm with Fitz, you shouldn't start now without making 17m annually. These QB contracts are crazy. One less thing we have to worry about now.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 06:56 PM)BengalChris Wrote: After the 2014 many thought we overpaid for Dalton. So far, if you average it out over 2014 and 2015, the two years of the contract so far, I'm not sure it's a top 10 bargain.

Meh. Most QBs have up and down years during the course of their contracts. Flacco threw 22 INTs with a 73.1 rating after signing his deal. Romo and Palmer have missed almost entire seasons. Eli has led the league in INTs. Big Ben had a weak 21/16 ratio of TDs to INTs last year. 

Lets be honest, it's not like 2014 was a disaster for Dalton. With as many receivers as we were missing, I think an 83.5 passer rating was perfectly acceptable. If you look at past deals for guys like Kaep or Cutler, or look at current deals for guys like Brock Osweiler, Dalton's contract looks like a bargain whether or not you include 2014.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
We gave Palmer more money when he had years left. Wouldnt be surprised if he gets a raise before the contract ends.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 08:16 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We gave Palmer more money when he had years left. Wouldnt be surprised if he gets a raise before the contract ends.

True, but you have to remember that rookie contracts were much bigger prior to the new CBA, and the Bengals actually cleared some cap space by extending Palmer early (he had 3 years left on his rookie deal).

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-12-29-Palmer_x.htm

I do think the Bengals will probably extend Dalton again with 1-2 years left on his current deal, but I don't think they'll extend him with 3 years left like they did with Palmer.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Dalton is a Franchise QB in the NFL. He doesn't have to be Elite or even Top 10. Dalton just needs to distribute the ball to his playmakers, get the offense in the right play for the defensive look, make like 2-4 key plays (1st downs/TD/"throw aways) a game and not turn the ball over. He showed he can do that in 2015. His near Top 5 performance was just gravy.

Why do you pay a "Dalton"? Because look around the league. Most QBs in the league are barely franchise guys or worse. And franchise QBs don't grow on trees. Because the Bengals invested and stuck with Dalton, now the Bengals don't have to waste high draft picks every other year on a QB who could be a bust or worse a "Sam Bradford".

You lock guys like Dalton down for stability and building the rest of the roster. And the FO seems to be doing exactly that.

You don't want to have that Browns QB Jersey with 20+ names on the back. That destroys the depth and roster long term.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 08:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Meh. Most QBs have up and down years during the course of their contracts. Flacco threw 22 INTs with a 73.1 rating after signing his deal. Romo and Palmer have missed almost entire seasons. Eli has led the league in INTs. Big Ben had a weak 21/16 ratio of TDs to INTs last year. 

Lets be honest, it's not like 2014 was a disaster for Dalton. With as many receivers as we were missing, I think an 83.5 passer rating was perfectly acceptable. If you look at past deals for guys like Kaep or Cutler, or look at current deals for guys like Brock Osweiler, Dalton's contract looks like a bargain whether or not you include 2014.

That is true and I do see your point. If Dalton has another 2015 season, then yes, it's a great contract. Teams do overpay for QBs and that's on them though. We see it every year by the same teams who generally don't win much.

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 05:22 PM)jj22 Wrote: After seeing what DE's were paid this offseason, Dunlap should be somewhere in the top 10. Look at what the Giants paid Vernon. He got more than Dunlaps entire contract in his guarantee. DE's are averaging 14 million a year now and they got Dunlap for 5 years 40 million (nearly half that), and you don't hear a peep from him (or Atkins).

Great point on what the Ends are getting paid now. Lots of crazy deals though in this years FA.

Dunlap is one of the best DE's in the league though and like you said that makes him great value.

(05-19-2016, 08:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Meh. Most QBs have up and down years during the course of their contracts. Flacco threw 22 INTs with a 73.1 rating after signing his deal. Romo and Palmer have missed almost entire seasons. Eli has led the league in INTs. Big Ben had a weak 21/16 ratio of TDs to INTs last year. 

Completely agree with you Shake about Dalton and the QB's overall.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 02:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: Remember when folks lost their minds over the Dalton extension? Smirk

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ten-top-value-contracts-in-the-nfl/ar-BBtcOSx?li=BBnba9I#page=11

Well, yeah, but Dalton sucks. Don't believe me? Ask anyone around here. He sucks. Ninja
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
We got a ridiculous bargain on Andy with that contract. his cap number never gets to a point where causes the team problems and he never represents an excessive dead money hit if something happened to him. Then consider his being an excellent QB and also the high character and the investing back into the community by Andy and his family and it is a steal.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 08:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: True, but you have to remember that rookie contracts were much bigger prior to the new CBA, and the Bengals actually cleared some cap space by extending Palmer early (he had 3 years left on his rookie deal).

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-12-29-Palmer_x.htm

I do think the Bengals will probably extend Dalton again with 1-2 years left on his current deal, but I don't think they'll extend him with 3 years left like they did with Palmer.

Oh yeah, if he keeps getting better, they will give him another extension & raise. 

Wonder what that will look like if team wins the SB? (no ninja lol) 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 06:56 PM)BengalChris Wrote: After the 2014 many thought we overpaid for Dalton. So far, if you average it out over 2014 and 2015, the two years of the contract so far, I'm not sure it's a top 10 bargain.

What other QB gets you to the playoffs with no WRs?   that's pretty good value
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 09:23 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Oh yeah, if he keeps getting better, they will give him another extension & raise. 

Wonder what that will look like if team wins the SB? (no ninja lol) 

he automatically gets a 3 or 4 mil a season raise on his contract if they make to the SB..

1 mil raise for every level of the playoffs the team passes.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 12:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: he automatically gets a 3 or 4 mil a season raise on his contract if they make to the SB..

1 mil raise for every level of the playoffs the team passes.

I hope we have to pay him.   
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 12:30 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: What other QB gets you to the playoffs with no WRs?   that's pretty good value

I love Dalton, but Cam and Wilson have less.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 01:35 PM)TGISunday Wrote: I love Dalton, but Cam and Wilson have less.

Now yes... but in 2014 not so much lol
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2016, 12:30 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: What other QB gets you to the playoffs with no WRs?   that's pretty good value

no WRs and a defense that played bad that year. (22nd in total defense, 12th in points, dead last in sacks (JJ Watt had more sacks than our whole team))
Reply/Quote

I thought so for a minute.....until I saw the guaranteed numbers, and how much of the contract is tied to performance based escalators.  Even with a "subpar", 2014 (though I saw it as a guy almost willing his team to wins with a severely depleted WR corps, and other key injuries), I don't see how it couldn't be a value.  Look at what turds like Bradford, Krapernick, etc are getting paid....and Brock Osweiler (are you even kidding me Texans? lol) and tell me how you would see it as anything other than a bargain.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote