Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dalton sets Expectations in final Press Conference
(12-30-2019, 12:53 AM)bfine32 Wrote: What do you think we can get for a 33 year old QB entering his 10th year coming off a season where he finished 32nd out of 32 QBs that qualified in the NFL?

I don't want him traded. I want him to play or mentor (hopefully mentor) 

That would be total waste of money. We have multiple QB coaches on this staff, he doesn’t need Dalton to mentor him.

If we can get a 2nd or 3rd for him you do it and you don’t think twice.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Actually Brown does have leverage with Dalton. He’s under contract next year.

AD holds the cards this time. Again, you don't want to pay a guy almost 18 million a year if they refuse to mentor the #1 pick. AD is not a coach so not in his job description to help others in the QB room. 

However, he did do that in 2019, I say no way in 2020.

So trade him MB or cut him, those are your 2 choices. Hopefully he ends up in a situation like his great friend did with the Rams.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Andy is very tradable. Unlike some in this forum, coaches and front offices in the league know what a train wreck the offense is in terms of the offensive line and scheming. They know Andy is a legit NFL caliber starting QB - the question will be what that could fetch in a trade. Knowing MB he will completely misplay it and not get good value.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:20 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It appears the Dalton era will come to an end as we prepare for the Joe Burrow arrival.

I enjoyed AD's last meeting with the media. I believe he gave away his hand today, he wants to start for a team in 2020.

Lots of speculation since AD is under contract for 1 more year.

Will Bengals trade him or keep him to mentor Burrow in 2020?

I got a sense AD will not be a mentor in 2020 which will force MB to trade him. I think that is best plan anyway, but I think it will be Dalton forcing the issue if that is not the plan, trade me or I skip all off season activities if not the starter.

Thoughts?

elmer fudd will say mr. dalton is under contract for 1 more year and he will NOT be traded! I believe he will stay and start next year and IF we draft a QB he will remain on the sideline. As for the QB drafted, Burrows is too smart to come here,imho

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:49 AM)bfine32 Wrote: And I want mine to be loyal.

Whit is not the same situation. Whit was not under contract. Quit trying to bring Whit's loyalty down. 

Loyalty is a two-way street and Taylor wasn't exactly very loyal to Dalton this season and tried to blame Dalton for his own inept game planning, play design and play calling, and frankly, his complete failure as a HC this season.

I'd rather see a mentor be someone who actually wanted to be a mentor.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:53 AM)bfine32 Wrote: What do you think we can get for a 33 year old QB entering his 10th year coming off a season where he finished 32nd out of 32 QBs that qualified in the NFL?

I don't want him traded. I want him to play or mentor (hopefully mentor) 

Your guess is as good as mine. I think more than one team would be interested in him as a FA though. My point is they should part ways. Dalton doesn't want to mentor his replacement, and he's due 18 million. Brian Hoyer can "mentor" Burrow from the bench for much less than that. Doesn't have to be Hoyer. I'm sure there's a McCown or somebody like that available.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:46 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I want those who work for me to be honest above all else. So, if I were MB, I would be thrilled if AD told me ahead of time, no dice, I will be a starting QB somewhere in 2020, It is a similar thing Whitt did and everyone loved it.

I see nothing selfish about it nor was Whitt being selfish.

If MB wants him, give him a 5 million bonus for 2020 to stay.

you are right. It is NOT selfish, its called SMART!!! Good Post!!!

Reply/Quote
I don't know why people are saying we should get Andy to mentor Joe, We have one of the best QB coaches around in Van Pelt who will be great with Joe.
Also this Mentor/ Coach thing with Andy, why would we pay someone $18m to sit on a bench and mentor our new franchise QB.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 02:12 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: I don't know why people are saying we should get Andy to mentor Joe, We have one of the best QB coaches around in Van Pelt who will be great with Joe.
Also this Mentor/ Coach thing with Andy, why would we pay someone $18m to sit on a bench and mentor our new franchise QB.

Also, Taylor and Callahan are both former QB coaches.

Not to mention Burrow is a coaches son, and a reportedly studies game tape like a madman.

Reply/Quote
I can't wait to go crosscheck these AD is cool to want out fans with the Carson sucks for wanting out posts.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:46 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I want those who work for me to be honest above all else. So, if I were MB, I would be thrilled if AD told me ahead of time, no dice, I will be a starting QB somewhere in 2020, It is a similar thing Whitt did and everyone loved it.

I see nothing selfish about it nor was Whitt being selfish.

If MB wants him, give him a 5 million bonus for 2020 to stay.

Oh yeah pay 22million for a back up. That's a recipe for success. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:20 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It appears the Dalton era will come to an end as we prepare for the Joe Burrow arrival.

I enjoyed AD's last meeting with the media. I believe he gave away his hand today, he wants to start for a team in 2020.

Lots of speculation since AD is under contract for 1 more year.

Will Bengals trade him or keep him to mentor Burrow in 2020?

I got a sense AD will not be a mentor in 2020 which will force MB to trade him. I think that is best plan anyway, but I think it will be Dalton forcing the issue if that is not the plan, trade me or I skip all off season activities if not the starter.

Thoughts?
Kind of shot himself in the foot last week in Miami. If he would have completed the comeback the Skins or someone else get Burrow and Andy gets to keep his job for who knows how long. I don't care who you are that's some scary crap right there. Yes I will admit it I was one fan who rooted for them to lose but not having to watch the same crap for who knows how long was worth it.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:46 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Of course Andy Dalton wants to start — and why wouldn’t he?  He’s young and he has plenty of gas left in the tank.  However, I’m not sure Mikey Boy sees Andy for the huge trade bait he is.  Realistically, the Bengals could get a second round pick and maybe a decent player for Andy and I disagree with an earlier poster who says Andy’s agent needs to call teams; I believe plenty of teams will initiate calls with Andy’s agent!  The wild card is of course Mike Brown.  Will he let Andy go even if the terms are amazing?
No way they will get a 2nd round pick for Dalton. 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 08:20 AM)Fullrock Wrote: No way they will get a 2nd round pick for Dalton. 

Eh, I'm not holding my breath but I'm not writing it off either.  Let's see what desperate teams are left once the high profile FAs are snatched up.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 03:50 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I can't wait to go crosscheck these AD is cool to want out fans with the Carson sucks for wanting out posts.

Don't bother checking mine. 
Reply/Quote
My stance on Andy Dalton is the same as it was on Marvin Lewis. I hold no ill will towards the guy, and I wish him all the best in his future endeavors, but I think it's time for a change. Maybe we find an upgrade at QB, maybe not. But I think we are at a point now where we have to take a shot at something new.

A 2020 Bengals squad led by Joe Burrow is interesting. A 2020 Bengals squad led by Andy Dalton is not.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Wish he would have said he'll do whatever it takes to help the team next year, but he seems selfish.

Of course you would say this....Dalton is just like all competitors. Get over the hate of Andy. You got your wish he is going. I am eager awaiting the next QB mistakes and see how long it will take for the masses like you to turn on him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 03:50 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I can't wait to go crosscheck these AD is cool to want out fans with the Carson sucks for wanting out posts.

2 way different scenarios:

CP had just signed a long term contract with a huge signing bonus, Dalton is in last year of his long term contract.
CP refused to honor that contract prior to us drafting a QB and wanted out, AD wants to be a starting QB here or someone else.

These 2 scenarios are not even close.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:47 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The QB FA market will be flooded this off-season. His perceived value may have more to do with demand than ability.

Brees
Brady
Prescott
Marriota sp?
Tannehill
Rivers
Manning
Bridgewater
Keenum
Winston
Bortles

Plus QBs probably available while still under contract
Dalton
Newton
Flacco
Rosen.

What are the "QB hungry" teams that will be willing to trade after the FA dust settles?

That’s a good question and I personally don’t view Andy as a player that that I would want to give up draft capital for with the FA options available. I wouldn’t expect a great return from an Andy trade but you still have to explore it and see what interest is out there.
Reply/Quote

I gave Carson hate for it back in the day, but I was wrong. Now I better see the circumstances and appreciate that Carson wanted the Hell out of here rather than continue to bite the shit sandwich that Mike Brown was feeding him. I am far from a Dalton supporter but if he pulls a Palmer to force his way out, I will understand and respect him more for doing it.
Reply/Quote