Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton tanked 3rd best QB against the blitz
From ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/205033/carson-palmer-tom-brady-thrive-against-blitz-nick-foles-sam-bradford-not-so-much

Andy Dalton: He consistently beats defenses with a quick trigger. Against the blitz, Dalton got rid of the ball on average in 2.02 seconds, the fastest time in the NFL last season. His 112.4 passer rating against pressure looks last year was second in the NFL, and over the past three seasons Dalton has averaged 7.31 yards per dropback against the blitz (second).

Palmer is #1. Must be that Zampese magic.
Reply/Quote
Well, in all fairness, Andy has had to learn to think fast on his feet, from day 1. Never, since his arrival to the league, has he been blessed with an interior OL that could pinch up and stop the blitz. I've known in my own mind for a couple years that he was damned good at getting rid of the ball fast, but these stats are better than I even gave him credit for.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Nice.

Reply/Quote
Man, that is a great stat there. Dalton does have one quick freaking trigger so it doesn't surprise me and he is very smart.

Plus i would of never guessed Carson would of been at the top. He always seemed to wilt under pressure while he was here.

I wouldn't give Zamp the credit for Palmer.

But i will say that from what i have been hearing about the Offense we might not miss a beat with Zampese. Pleasantly surprised there so far.
Reply/Quote
Oh Flacco was dead last... hahaahhaha

So is our OL as good as we think or is QB just that fast?
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 10:02 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Oh Flacco was dead last... hahaahhaha

I think he's just that fast.

And it makes sense both Palmer and Dalton would have quick releases, they played some blitz heavy teams in the north.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 10:02 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Oh Flacco was dead last... hahaahhaha

Dalton was sacked 1.6 times per game last season, and McCarron was sacked 3 times per game. I think that's a pretty telling stat.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 10:17 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Dalton was sacked 1.6 times per game last season, and McCarron was sacked 3 times per game. I think that's a pretty telling stat.

How often was Dalton sacked in his first season?  That would be the more telling stat.  Dalton has always been known for having a quick release, but his decision making ability and grasp of the offense should be light years ahead of a guy with five NFL starts.  McCarron is the backup for a reason.

We get it, you don't like McCarron...
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 02:31 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: How often was Dalton sacked in his first season?  That would be the more telling stat.  Dalton has always been known for having a quick release, but his decision making ability and grasp of the offense should be light years ahead of a guy with five NFL starts.  McCarron is the backup for a reason.

We get it, you don't like McCarron...

Dalton was sacked 24 times his first season. He was sacked 20 times this last season and missed the final 3 games. But you can throw in the Steelers game because he only played a series, so that's 4 games.

So, again, Dalton was sacked 1.5 times a game.
Only one year in Dalton's 5 year career did he average more than 1.8 sacks a game.
That year was 2012 where Dalton was sacked 2.9 times a game.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think he was dumping on McCarron. I think it was more to look at the question of whether Andy's quick release helps the OL or the other way around. Andy's sack numbers have been remarkably stable except for 2012, when they wanted him to hold on to the ball and try for more big plays. Other than that his sack number is about 25 per season.
Reply/Quote
But to the stat about Dalton ranking against the blitz, that's actually really good. I remember early on in his career he struggled tremendously against the blitz and that was where a ton of his turnovers came from. I could be mistaken, but I swear he was very low on QB rating against the blitz in 2013. But not sure.

Either way, it's a telling sign that he's really taken in all the knowledge and training he's gotten over the past 2 years with House and I'm glad he stuck with the plan rather than going back to habits.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I remember when the anti-Dalton crowd used to rip Andy for taking too many sacks in 2012. That was the year when Marv and Jay were pushing Andy to stop throwing it away (which he did a lot as a rookie), and make more "unscripted plays" ala Pig Ben. They weren't playing Dalton to his strengths, but he was still good outside of all the sacks.

Outside of that year, Dalton has always gotten rid of the ball quicker than almost anyone. When you compare his times with an average time, it's probably saving our line around a full second of pass blocking.

Not only does it keep the sacks down, it also keeps Dalton's fumble numbers down. Dalton has only fumbled around 4 times per season, which is great for a QB. Less sacks = less opportunities for opposing players to strip the ball out.

Some of the least talked about stats for QBs are sacks and fumbles. I think Dalton helps our offense greatly by throwing the ball quickly, not taking many sacks and not fumbling the ball. Nevermind how good he's been in every other facet of being a QB.

Now compare that with McC. He fumbled 4 times and was sacked 15 times in 5 starts. The fumbles were costly (one cost us a BYE) and the sacks stall drives. I'm not bashing McC, as many QBs fumble more than Dalton and take more sacks.

It's more praise for Dalton and part of his game that I don't think people appreciate as much as they should. I also think Dalton improved greatly last year against the blitz. It used to be a weakness, yet he thrived against it last year. It was a major step forward.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Gio and Eifert gotta help in this department. Great targets/weapons against the blitz
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2016, 10:15 AM)Benton Wrote: I think he's just that fast.

And it makes sense both Palmer and Dalton would have quick releases, they played some blitz heavy teams in the north.

I don't think either one gets credit for their smarts--pre-snap reads. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote