Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton thinks offense will take "Big Jump" this season
Article is about 10 days old so my apologies if old news. Very good to see that Dalton is already getting involved with Mixon. It's going to be interesting how this offense develops this year. I was hoping to pick up some hints in this article in regards to plans on using rookies more in the gameplan, but not much fire there. I guess we have to wait till training camp and see how quickly they seem to learn the playbook and execute effectively.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports/andy-dalton-expects-bengals-offense-take-big-jump/swwhCpWZXvtMMplJ3hWU7M/

Quote:CINCINNATI —

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton didn’t have a say in planning the team’s approach to last month’s draft, but he offered plenty of praise while assessing it after the fact. “I don’t think any quarterback is complaining about having more guys who can do a lot,” Dalton said Monday afternoon in his first comments to reporters since the Bengals selected wide receiver John Ross and running back Joe Mixon with their first two picks.

The last time the Bengals used their first-round pick on an offensive skill position was 2013 when they took tight end Tyler Eifert. And the last time they used their first two selections on such picks, Dalton was one of them when the Bengals grabbed him in the second round after taking A.J. Green fourth overall.

“The guys are really talented, and should help us this year,” Dalton added. “(Ross) can be a big difference. We’ve got the fastest guy in the NFL, so obviously that’s a good thing to have. I’m anxious to see what that speed feels like when he can get around and start doing stuff.”

While the Bengals will begin OTA practices next week, Ross is not eligible to join the team until his class at the University of Washington graduates on June 10. And Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said Ross won’t be medically cleared from March labrum surgery until the start of training camp in July.

Dalton got a chance to speak with Mixon for the first time Monday after trading texts him with after the draft and again during rookie camp. “I mean that’s part of his job, to look out for me and see what’s going on,” Mixon said. “I thought it was cool. I’d never talked to him before. For him to be sending text messages, it was cool.”
“That’s my role now,” Dalton said. “I can be the big brother.”

Asked about the controversy surrounding Mixon’s arrest three years ago for punching a female student and breaking four bones in her face, Dalton said his thoughts are immaterial. “He’s been given a second chance,” Dalton said. “People may say, ‘Well, I wish he wasn’t here,’ but he’s here regardless. So I’m going to be the best teammate I can be, and be someone that can show him how to handle yourself. We’ve got a lot of guys in this locker room that can show him the right way to do things. I think he’s willing and I hope he’s willing, and if he is then he could have a good long career because he’s a talented player.”

In addition to Ross and Mixon, the Bengals also added wide receiver Josh Malone in the fourth round and tight end Mason Schreck in the seventh.
“It felt like we did a good job with the draft,” Dalton said. “The guys we brought in, we’re adding some speed. I’m excited about the pieces we have and the new additions we’ve got coming in.”

With Green and Eifert returning to health and a year of experience with 2016 newcomers Tyler Boyd and Brandon LaFell, Dalton said he’s excited to see what the offense can do in its second season with Ken Zampese as coordinator.
“For (Zamp), it was the first time doing it, and going back he’s seeing things we could have done better as an offense,” Dalton said. “Things he could have done better and things we maybe could have streamlined – all the different things you think about during the offseason. I expect us to take a big jump. I think with the talent that we have we can do that.”

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Andy has good reason to be excited, with the new weapons for the offense. However, I found it very strategic and tactful of him to not mention a word about the OL.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2017, 10:58 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Andy has good reason to be excited, with the new weapons for the offense.  However, I found it very strategic and tactful of him to not mention a word about the OL.

I noticed that too. Either he's not excited about the OL or just failed to mention.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2017, 11:09 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I noticed that too. Either he's not excited about the OL or just failed to mention.

Possibly, or it could be him just being a team player.  Just as he mentioned that his thoughts on Joe Mixon's history don't matter, perhaps he feels like it's not a good idea to draw any more attention than necessary to the OL. (though we're all very concerned about it)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2017, 10:58 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Andy has good reason to be excited, with the new weapons for the offense.  However, I found it very strategic and tactful of him to not mention a word about the OL.

The oline will make or break the offense. Judging by last years performance it will be the latter.  Whatever
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think Andy is always he type to say the right thing to the media. I think highly of Ross and think his presence alone will keep defenses honest. A cover 2 shell to stop us from going deep can make guys like Mixon, Hill, Bernard look like superstars.

No more 8 in the box, which also helps with exotic blitz packages.

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
I big jump.... Off a tall cliff if there is no sense of urgency or a fired-up coaching staff.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2017, 12:29 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: The oline will make or break the offense. Judging by last years performance it will be the latter.  Whatever

You bet ya !

I kinda hate to keep beating a dead dog but really the O-line is gonna make or break the whole team/season. We have a lot of the pieces everywhere else to have a competitive team I do believe. But it's all gonna hinge on the O-line ! The best defense around gets wore out on a dozen 3 and outs in a row.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2017, 01:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You bet ya !

I kinda hate to keep beating a dead dog but really the O-line is gonna make or break the whole team/season. We have a lot of the pieces everywhere else to have a competitive team I do believe. But it's all gonna hinge on the O-line ! The best defense around gets wore out on a dozen 3 and outs in a row.

On the bright side, Ogbuehi can't possibly be worse than last year. The line is a concern. We really don't know what we have at kicker either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

(05-20-2017, 11:09 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I noticed that too. Either he's not excited about the OL or just failed to mention.

Great thread Harley, i read this a week ago and it is great info from Dalton. He is our team leader, no bones about it
and he actually said in a more recent interview that he is not worried about the O-line cause he sees the guys and they
are working their ass off. Pretty much what he said... anyways...

We will see but Og finally getting a full offseason to work, Boling being 100% come opening day, Andre being healthy
and playing RG when he has always played the tougher position of RT and is a run blocker, Fish looking fitter than any
Offensive Lineman i have ever seen and finally being let to settle at one position...

There are many reasons for optimism but injuries could always happen.

But i also really like 3 of our UDFA's, Lechler, Perkins and Stanton. But we all know who has to coach them.
Reply/Quote
I agree Ross and Mixon are good pickups. The offense will benefit from them. However, I also agree the Oline needs help. That will be the story this year and will determine how the Bengals finish.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2017, 12:31 PM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: I think Andy is always he type to say the right thing to the media.  I think highly of Ross and think his presence alone will keep defenses honest. A cover 2 shell to stop us from going deep can make guys like Mixon, Hill, Bernard look like superstars.

Great post Quantum, this is exactly where they were going when drafting Ross and Mixon to spread out Defenses.

Go ahead and blitz, screen to the greatest vision of any RB in forever, go ahead and try and bump Ross all game, he will get free...

It is a pick your poison ploy that takes pressure off of this O-line.

Oh, and we have AJ Green, Tyler Eifert and Tyler Boyd/Core, Malone, Lafell etc.

Watch the **** out if the O-line can block decent.
Reply/Quote
I think the defense might take a jump this year too. Any increased pass rush will certainly help, plus having a leaner, faster Burfict from the get go and a new MLB.

We might be better on both sides of the ball.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
He's obviously not going to bash the line because he knows that, like it or not, they're what's going to be protecting him.

However, after looking over SHRacerX's post in this thread and thinking about it more, I believe we'll be ok.

I don't think the line will be dominant or anything, but I do think that they'll be able to open some holes for Mixon and give Dalton the time he needs to find receivers.

That's also not to mention that we still could add a player or two from FA once teams start making cuts (center, PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASE).
Reply/Quote
There are sugar substitutes, there are salt substitutes, there are even substitutes for teachers, but there are no substitutes for brains......

Andy is smart. :andy:
Reply/Quote

I am not sure if this was just an excerpt from an article written elsewhere and DDN just copied it, but Andy did comment about the oline recently and gave the obvious vote of confidence to his new LT and that he feels good about where they are heading.  It is obviously fluff and we won't ever know how he really feels but the guy did support Marshall Newhouse when he was here because he was a former college teammate and Marshall played about as poorly as you possibly can at the tackle spot when he was here.  I saw he was with the Giants not long ago.  No idea how that dude still has a job.  
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2017, 12:31 PM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: I think Andy is always he type to say the right thing to the media.  I think highly of Ross and think his presence alone will keep defenses honest. A cover 2 shell to stop us from going deep can make guys like Mixon, Hill, Bernard look like superstars.

Been saying this for a while, and the Bengals even said as much, referencing Rudi's 1400 yard season.  They pointed to how teams were forced to defend the combination of TJ, Chad, and Henry.  The trio of AJ, Boyd/Laffell, and Ross might not only be better, but they have a significant upgrade at the TE position (and depth) that those Bengal teams lacked.  Add Hill in a contract year and the young Mixon and I think this has the makings of our best defense in a very, very long time.  
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2017, 08:34 PM)McC Wrote: I think the defense might take a jump this year too.  Any increased pass rush will certainly help, plus having a leaner, faster Burfict from the get go and a new MLB.

We might be better on both sides of the ball.

Exactly.  Get a lead, and get after their asses.  Colts made a living doing this when they had Manning, Harrison, and Reggie Wayne.  They would get up, and unleash the pass rush of Freeney and Mathis.  

I said the missing ingredient on offense was a vertical threat opposite AJ.  Check.

I said the defense needed a speed option (that wasn't a one trick pony and could counter inside and was tough as nails).  Check (Willis) and Check (Lawson).  

Combine that with some of the later round freaks and special teams should also be improved.  Check.

Synergy.  It all works together to improve the team.  
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2017, 01:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You bet ya !

I kinda hate to keep beating a dead dog

WHAT?

WTF

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2017, 10:05 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: WHAT?

WTF

Them's fighting words! (In reference to the beating a dead dog quote) Swing the mighty BANHAMMER!!!

Hilarious LMAO Hilarious

We need a smiley with Thor's hammer swinging over his head so we could post it when we are calling for the BANHAMMER!

And, of course, I am kidding about him getting banned.   I just don't want anyone going Mike Vick on Harley.
Reply/Quote