Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton won't need surgery; may be back for playoffs
(12-14-2015, 05:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Interesting, sounded like in the press conference it was the complete opposite. Marvin said it was best case scenario that Andy didn't need surgery. 

Usually surgery means the break is incapable of healing on its own.

That's what I thought too.  Let's hope so!!
Reply/Quote
Best case!! Heal quickly Andy, I have been critical in the past, but if this team stands a chance in the postseason they need Andy!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 05:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic.  Because, even if Andy's thumb does heal well enough to get cleared to play, it will likely be bitter cold by then, which makes it tough enough to be at the top of one's game, let alone while nursing a broken thumb.
Big Ben had an injury like this when we beat them 13 to 10 in 2012 and it did effect his passes. ....Bring in Ponder even if we end up with 3 QB's on the roster in play-offs, what ever gets us to Super Bowl. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 05:28 PM)kevin Wrote: Big Ben had an injury like this when we beat them 13 to 10 in 2012 and it did effect his passes. ....Bring in Ponder even if we end up with 3 QB's on the roster in play-offs, what ever gets us to Super Bowl. 

I'm not questioning Andy's toughness.  Historically, he does not seen to play as well as the temperatures get colder, when fully healthy. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 05:19 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Interesting, sounded like in the press conference it was the complete opposite. Marvin said it was best case scenario that Andy didn't need surgery. 

Usually surgery means the break is incapable of healing on its own.

I think it depends on the size of the gap in the fracture.  Meaning, how many MM is the bone separated from where it should be?  I have no idea what that tolerance is with thumb / hand injuries, but at least with my recent ankle fracture I was told its right around 4 MM.  Over 4 MM and they will suggest surgery, under 4 MM separation and the upside of surgery may not be worthwhile.  

Obviously totally different in cases with Pro athletes, he could go back and have the surgery after the fact, but I have to think its a good sign.  Less amount of separation, less healing time necessary.  
Reply/Quote
Hopefully it heals quickly.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 04:56 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We need to get healthy asap. Wouldnt it be great if we win in Denver, have the #2 seed wrapped up before the finale with Baltimore and we can rest our starters?

That would be a ideal scenario.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 05:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not questioning Andy's toughness.  Historically, he does not seen to play as well as the temperatures get colder, when fully healthy. 

This is not about toughness or playing through the pain.  It is about being able to properly grip the ball... the injury has to heal.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 05:44 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: This is not about toughness or playing through the pain.  It is about being able to properly grip the ball... the injury has to heal.

Yup. He could have the highest pain tolerance in the history of the world, but it'd be useless if he can't grip the ball right.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 05:44 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: This is not about toughness or playing through the pain.  It is about being able to properly grip the ball... the injury has to heal.

Exactly, you must have missed the part, in my previous post, where I was talking about how cold it should be by the time the playoffs roll around.  If and when Andy is able to be medically cleared to play.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
ESPN doctor is saying he is out for the year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 05:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Exactly, you must have missed the part, in my previous post, where I was talking about how cold it should be by the time the playoffs roll around.  If and when Andy is able to be medically cleared to play.

Sorry, I did miss that.  My bad.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 05:51 PM)J24 Wrote: ESPN doctor is saying he is out for the year.

ESPN has been thumping this notion ever since their own reporter  bob Hotelman made these claims.  If Favre played with this same injury I don't see why Dalton can't come back in 4 weeks.
Reply/Quote
He may need to work with a glove (to help with the grip) if he can return in time for the championship game. Then we have to hope he isn't too rusty. Either way, the last 24 hours has brought a renewed sense of appreciation for the guy nationally. You would have thought we lost Manning (the old Peyton) they way it's been covered.

Either way focus has to be now on getting McCarron to get us to a bye, and then see where we are at in 4 weeks.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 05:55 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: ESPN has been thumping this notion ever since their own reporter  bob Hotelman made these claims.  If Favre played with this same injury I don't see why Dalton can't come back in 4 weeks.

I saw earlier that it is not the same injury.  Favre had a very small fracture and it was at the very top of his thumb.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 06:02 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I saw earlier that it is not the same injury.  Favre had a very small fracture and it was at the very top of his thumb.

Favre missed no time as well. I hope AD heals quickly and it sure would be nice to get him one extra week to be ready
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 06:05 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Favre missed no time as well. I hope AD heals quickly and it sure would be nice to get him one extra week to be ready

All seriousness, didn't he end up in rehab because of an addiction to pain killers after that ordeal?
Reply/Quote
Ian Rapport reported on Twitter that Dalton hopes to return against the Ravens

"My understanding is, #Bengals QB Andy Dalton believes a week 17 return is possible. But it's a bone and one can't guess how it heals."
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Its going to depend how long and deep the fracture is and how close to the base of the thumb it is. The strength of the thumb comes from the base joint and if that is compromised in any way we are looking at a longer recovery. Generally in a non surgical fracture they are looking at 4-8 weeks for recovery

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Marvin wouldn't keep him on the active roster unless there was a shot he could play. And he certainly wouldn't say week to week. He doesn't mess around when a guy is seriously hurt. He just IR's him .
Reply/Quote