Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damion Willis Waived
(08-25-2020, 05:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tate had 40 rec and 575 yds in 12 games. In what world is that not a huge improvement over 4 rec 35 yds in 7 games?

Fred World. Mellow

(08-25-2020, 05:42 PM)impactplaya Wrote: He was also 9th in the AFC in his catch % resulting in 1st downs
He improved in every facet of his game last year
He had garbage at QB also. Tate made catches last year
That would be incompletions for most other targets. 

Yep.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 05:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: It's hard to say.  He sucked the two games he started last year.  He might have lost his confidence and/or got lazy in the off-season.

The thing I've noticed with this staff is that they seem to talk everybody up, at least in the media.

Agreed, can’t trust these guys with what they say about the players.

For instance:
Joe Burrow and the offense is looking better than ever
(At the same time) the defense is much improved and our linebackers are flying all over the field!

Wait, which is it, these can’t both be happening! Lol
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 05:42 PM)impactplaya Wrote: He was also 9th in the AFC in his catch % resulting in 1st downs

That is only because he caught so few passes on third down.

His catch% that ranked 65th out of 65 WRs with at least 40 catches was .500.  It was even worse on 3rd down.  He only had 11 receptions on 23 third down targets for a catch% of .478.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 05:51 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Agreed, can’t trust these guys with what they say about the players.

For instance:
Joe Burrow and the offense is looking better than ever
(At the same time) the defense is much improved and our linebackers are flying all over the field!

Wait, which is it, these can’t both be happening! Lol

Both! Hilarious

(08-25-2020, 05:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  That is only because he caught so few passes on third down.

His catch% that ranked 65th out of 65 WRs with at least 40 catches was .500.  It was even worse on 3rd down.  He only had 11 receptions on 23 third down targets for a catch% of .478.

Which means nothing when it doesn't account for the QB's accuracy.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 05:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  That is only because he caught so few passes on third down.

29 of Tates 40 catches resulted in 1st downs at 72.5 %
On 3rd and 7 or greater yardage Tate had 6 catches tied for 11th in the AFC. 
And this production coming from the guy that by many wasnt 
Even supposed to make the final 53 last year
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 05:19 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Binns was talked up by a few reporters and fans. Willis was being talked about by AJ Green, Boyd and the HC. The Willis hype was big time last year and he was worse than Binns, Briscoe and even Kumerow!

Maybe it was just misplaced hype. Maybe it wasn’t and he’s got a bright future on another team in the righty situation. Still very young, wouldn’t be the first player to get cut and catch on with another team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 06:09 PM)impactplaya Wrote: 29 of Tates 40 catches resulted in 1st downs at 72.5 %
On 3rd and 7 or greater yardage Tate had 6 catches tied for 11th in the AFC. 
And this production coming from the guy that by many wasnt 
Even supposed to make the final 53 last year

He was a 7th round pick for God sake. Why does Fred have to tear him down?

Dude was a steal no question.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 06:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He was a 7th round pick for God sake. Why does Fred have to tear him down?

Dude was a steal no question.

Good point. Great pick in the 7th round. Probably our best 7th rounder since TJ.

Let’s hope Bailey is another hit.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 06:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Good point. Great pick in the 7th round. Probably our best 7th rounder since TJ.

Let’s hope Bailey is another hit.

Brandon Wilson was a damn good pick as well and yeah, if Bailey can stay healthy I think he could be damn good.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 07:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Brandon Wilson was a damn good pick as well and yeah, if Bailey can stay healthy I think he could be damn good.

Wilson was 6th round.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 07:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Wilson was 6th round.

He was? Man I remember him being a 7th round Simmons pick. Damn memory. Whatever

Either way, great pick. One of if not the best Kick Returners in the league.
Reply/Quote
To all of those concerned about the Bengals cutting a guy that they seemed high on? Not his fault, it's just that the Bengals talent stock has improved, and there is no room for him. They are actually doing him well, by cutting him now, while he still has time to get picked up by another team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 04:37 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: So what was up with the hype on this guy last year? I’ve never seen someone SO talked up by the coaching staff only to disappear and then get waived the next preseason. This whole situation really gets me worried about how this coaching staff evaluated players. Let’s hope it was an anomaly and not the norm under ZT.

ZT is a 2 win coach and I'd hope he's been changing things so that he doesn't end up being a mere 6 win coach by the end of this season.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 07:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To all of those concerned about the Bengals cutting a guy that they seemed high on?  Not his fault, it's just that the Bengals talent stock has improved, and there is no room for him.  They are actually doing him well, by cutting him now, while he still has time to get picked up by another team.

True.

(08-25-2020, 07:18 PM)BengalChris Wrote: ZT is a 2 win coach and I'd hope he's been changing things so that he doesn't end up being a mere 6 win coach by the end of this season.

Seems like he is changing things up and learning from his mistakes, hope this continues.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 07:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True.

Seems like he is changing things up and learning from his mistakes, hope this continues.

The win column will provide the answer. The rest is just cow dung.

What would really make fans take notice, at least fans like me, would be if the Bengals lay it to the Steelers this year.

Reply/Quote

Tell the class where Boyd ranked in catch percentage of the 8 WRs with at least 90 catches. Then allow the class to decide for themselves if the issue in catch % was because of the WR
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 07:29 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The win column will provide the answer. The rest is just cow dung.

What would really make fans take notice, at least fans like me, would be if the Bengals lay it to the Steelers this year.

Joe
Reply/Quote
I didn't read through the entire thread. Ts, this is simply a coach giving a guy a chance to catch on with another team. ZT knows that Willis isn't going to crack this roster. A healthy AJ and drafting Tee Higgins pretty much assures that.

Willis may be good enough to make a team with a lesser talented WR room. Perhaps he's still eligible for our practice squad? Either way, no worries.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2020, 07:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He was? Man I remember him being a 7th round Simmons pick. Damn memory. Whatever

Either way, great pick. One of if not the best Kick Returners in the league.

I believe we traded two sevens to move up into the sixth round to get him, so your memory isn't that far off! 
Reply/Quote
This whole Willis questions is a case study in why we shouldn't extrapolate from small sample sizes. And one training camp is a small sample.

Ever had a time in your life when you were on fire, and everything just turned out right, and then another time where everything you touched just turned to crap? Maybe Willis was just on a lucky run, maybe he was more relaxed, maybe his personal life was in a better place last year... I mean who knows, but lots of things can explain training camp hype.

But it's a reason to take all these fluff pieces you read with a grain of salt (I'm thinking Fred Johnson for example) especially in this, the time of year where every fan is hungry for hope and the media is giving them what they want.
Reply/Quote