Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dan Graziano - Bengals looking to trade UP in Rd 1
I'm pulling for Bowers. I could see it being an OT, which is exciting. If they're targeting one that makes me happy because he must be really good. Lot of great options.

Hot take: I don't believe in our interest in Murphy. I think it's smoke. Of course we do need a DT but I don't know if he's that guy. I think we're blowing him up like the cornerbacks in order to leave on the board guys we actually want. Namely OTs.

I just love this rumor. Means the draft is here and fun is on the way.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 04:58 PM)Stewy Wrote: Moving up for Latham is dumb as there will be plenty of awesome players at 18, and he's almost always one of them in any mock.  If they're looking to move up only 2-3 spots to ensure Latham, then I might believe it, but if it's a big move to like 9-12, then it won't be Latham.  

My money is on one of the two CB's, Mitchell or Arnold.  The Bengals have no true CB1, with these two being the only true CB1s within a very thin CB class.  I prefer Mitchell due to his production, skills, personality and loyalty to Toledo.

Unless Mitchell or Arnold can pass protect or rush the passer, I can't imagine they're in play with a potential trade-up...but I guess it's possible.

I feel like the only non-trench player that would be an exception would be Bowers, and even then, he would probably have to drop to 14 before it would become even remotely possible.

Who the hell knows though? I think the 1st is going to be wild tomorrow night.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 04:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: When it comes to replacing Trent Brown, we could be talking about game 3 given his history. Mellow 

If that were to happen, which of these tackles (outside of Alt) is best prepared to step in and immediately give you high quality RT play? 

Personally, I would just feel way more comfortable having Latham in that situation because I think he has the best potential to do that.

True on TB's injury history. Like I said, I like Latham, but I don't think we need to trade up for him. If he is gone, I bet Mims is there
and I actually like Mims better from what I saw on the field play. Mims doesn't have a lot of snaps but damn did he look good in said 
limited snaps. Best balance, size, strength, hands and athleticism of any OL in this Draft IMO.

I don't know if we will get a shot at an OL of Mims potential ever again, dude has mad upside. I think Mims could be great in the NFL.

JC Latham? I think he will be solid and that is fine with me as well.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 05:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True on TB's injury history. Like I said, I like Latham, but I don't think we need to trade up for him. If he is gone, I bet Mims is there
and I actually like Mims better from what I saw on the field play. Mims doesn't have a lot of snaps but damn did he look good in said 
limited snaps. Best balance, size, strength, hands and athleticism of any OL in this Draft IMO.

I don't know if we will get a shot at an OL of Mims potential ever again, dude has mad upside. I think Mims could be great in the NFL.

JC Latham? I think he will be solid and that is fine with me as well.

I feel like Mims' potential ceiling will depend a ton on the o-line coach he gets to work with and learn from. 

That's why I'm not a fan of him for the Bengals.   Ninja
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 05:25 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I feel like Mims' potential ceiling will depend a ton on the o-line coach he gets to work with and learn from. 

LMAO! Got me there damn it!  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 05:25 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I feel like Mims' potential ceiling will depend a ton on the o-line coach he gets to work with and learn from. 

I think the biggest differentiator for Mims is that he isn't really that raw. He just happened to not get on the field very often in college due to the depth Georgia had on their national championship team, followed by an unfortunate injury and an early declaration for the draft.

As a player, he has performed very well in his limited playing time.

I would be extremely concerned with a player like Tyler Guyton, who I perceive to be a much bigger project.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 05:04 PM)tms Wrote: I'm pulling for Bowers. I could see it being an OT, which is exciting. If they're targeting one that makes me happy because he must be really good. Lot of great options.

Hot take: I don't believe in our interest in Murphy. I think it's smoke. Of course we do need a DT but I don't know if he's that guy. I think we're blowing him up like the cornerbacks in order to leave on the board guys we actually want. Namely OTs.

I just love this rumor. Means the draft is here and fun is on the way.

Pulling for bowers? Lemme get my barf bag. I hope bowers goes 1 overall. Ur rather have bowers than a trade up for a top tackle!????
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 05:47 PM)CJD Wrote: I think the biggest differentiator for Mims is that he isn't really that raw. He just happened to not get on the field very often in college due to the depth Georgia had on their national championship team, followed by an unfortunate injury and an early declaration for the draft.

I would be extremely concerned with a player like Tyler Guyton, who I perceive to be a much bigger project.

Completely agree CrazyJDawg. Guyton reminds me of Ogbuehi a little, scary.Freakout
Reply/Quote

(04-24-2024, 05:47 PM)CJD Wrote: I think the biggest differentiator for Mims is that he isn't really that raw. He just happened to not get on the field very often in college due to the depth Georgia had on their national championship team, followed by an unfortunate injury and an early declaration for the draft.

As for the Tackle prospects, I'm a Fuaga fan. He's the 3rd highest rated Tackle prospect (according to PFF) with a grade of 88.2, the only two higher are Alt 90.7 and Amegadjie 89.5.  However, if the Bengals have other plans than OT for the pick in the 1st, weather it be at #18 or moving up, all is certainly not lost. I would be nervous as hell about it, but if they waited until pick #97 or even #115 they could find tremendous value in guys like Matt Goncalves 72.2, Christian Jones 75.2 and one of my dark horses Javon Foster 84.2.

As for Latham vs Mims? I would be Mims, as even though Latham has the higher floor, I feel like Mims has a much higher ceiling for his career. The thing to be weary of with Latham is that 'Bama OL sometimes come into the league already "maxed out" as far as their development, and sometimes end up suffering overuse injuries like the shoulder issue that we witnessed with Jonah Williams.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I’m thinking if they’re trading up it’s for a WR they can have on a rookie deal.

Maybe OT, Corner, or DT.

But my gut says WR because they could stay where they are and get a good player.

But maybe they really like one of the corners or tackles.

Will be interesting to see if this happens.
I’d be pumped to get into the top ten and get a shutdown corner or dynamic wr or elite OT/DT.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 05:47 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Pulling for bowers?  Lemme get my barf bag.  I hope bowers goes 1 overall.  Ur rather have bowers than a trade up for a top tackle!????

Lol don't forget to leave some room in the barf bag for DCs, who'll be vomiting up a storm for the foreseeable future having to game plan for Uno, Tee and Brock!
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 06:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As for the Tackle prospects, I'm a Fuaga fan. He's the 3rd highest rated Tackle prospect (according to PFF) with a grade of 88.2, the only two higher are Alt 90.7 and Amegadjie 89.5.  However, if the Bengals have other plans than OT for the pick in the 1st, weather it be at #18 or moving up, all is certainly not lost. I would be nervous as hell about it, but if they waited until pick #97 or even #115 they could find tremendous value in guys like Matt Goncalves 72.2, Christian Jones 75.2 and one of my dark horses Javon Foster 84.2.

As for Latham vs Mims? I would be Mims, as even though Latham has the higher floor, I feel like Mims has a much higher ceiling for his career.  The thing to be weary of with Latham is that 'Bama OL sometimes come into the league already "maxed out" as far as their development, and sometimes end up suffering overuse injuries like the shoulder issue that we witnessed with Jonah Williams.

Yes, big fan of Fuaga as well, just think the Raiders are going to take him way ahead of us and don't think we will trade up that far.

Amegadjie is one of the underrated Tackles in this class, really like Goncalves, Christian Jones and Javon Foster.  Nice post Sunset.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 06:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As for the Tackle prospects, I'm a Fuaga fan. He's the 3rd highest rated Tackle prospect (according to PFF) with a grade of 88.2, the only two higher are Alt 90.7 and Amegadjie 89.5.  However, if the Bengals have other plans than OT for the pick in the 1st, weather it be at #18 or moving up, all is certainly not lost. I would be nervous as hell about it, but if they waited until pick #97 or even #115 they could find tremendous value in guys like Matt Goncalves 72.2, Christian Jones 75.2 and one of my dark horses Javon Foster 84.2.

As for Latham vs Mims? I would be Mims, as even though Latham has the higher floor, I feel like Mims has a much higher ceiling for his career.  The thing to be weary of with Latham is that 'Bama OL sometimes come into the league already "maxed out" as far as their development, and sometimes end up suffering overuse injuries like the shoulder issue that we witnessed with Jonah Williams.

I guess we just have different evaluations and perspectives.

After Alt, I have Fashanu and Latham as my highest ranked tackles, with Latham being the highest pure RT, then Fuaga.

The way I'm approaching it is with the question - who would you rather have starting day 1 if Trent Brown were to get a papercut in training camp and go on IR for the rest of the season?  Ninja

My answer is Latham, with Fuaga being the next choice. Now, if they don't want to trade up to get one of those guys, or Mims is the only one of the top 6 left at 18...then I could see taking him and banking on the talent/potential. 
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 06:51 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The way I'm approaching it is with the question - who would you rather have starting day 1 if Trent Brown were to get a papercut in training camp and go on IR for the rest of the season?  Ninja
One thing I'll say about Mims is he's really impressive in interviews. This guy's got "Alpha" genes A, B and C (I don't know if those exist in science, but if they do he's got them). He carries himself with such natural self-confidence and humility. His presence is awesome and I think Bengals fans would fall in love with him. 

Would he be ready to start Week 1? I don't know. But he was thrust into the lineup against tOSU and was the best player on the field imo. 
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 06:35 PM)tms Wrote: Lol don't forget to leave some room in the barf bag for DCs, who'll be vomiting up a storm for the foreseeable future having to game plan for Uno, Tee and Brock!

Yeah, I don't know if that guy has ever watched Brock Bowers play honestly. Saw some pic of him next to Gronk which made him look 
small and it took away everything he ever did in college. Yah know, being the best yards after catch TE maybe of all time just doesn't 
matter, he looked small next to one of the biggest TE's ever. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 06:51 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I guess we just have different evaluations and perspectives.

After Alt, I have Fashanu and Latham as my highest ranked tackles, with Latham being the highest pure RT, then Fuaga.

The way I'm approaching it is with the question - who would you rather have starting day 1 if Trent Brown were to get a papercut in training camp and go on IR for the rest of the season?  Ninja

My answer is Latham, with Fuaga being the next choice. Now, if they don't want to trade up to get one of those guys, or Mims is the only one of the top 6 left at 18...then I could see taking him and banking on the talent/potential. 

I don't think Mims would struggle honestly, having that natural balance along with his strength and quick feet...

Not to mention he could play at LG and put Volson on the back burner if Trent Brown is healthy.

(04-24-2024, 07:05 PM)tms Wrote: One thing I'll say about Mims is he's really impressive in interviews. This guy's got "Alpha" genes A, B and C (I don't know if those exist in science, but if they do he's got them). He carries himself with such natural self-confidence and humility. His presence is awesome and I think Bengals fans would fall in love with him. 

Would he be ready to start Week 1? I don't know. But he was thrust into the lineup against tOSU and was the best player on the field imo. 

Yeah, Amarius Mims is a cool dude on top of being really talented. He was the one Tackle of all these guys that played against JT of 
OSU and handled him, the other Tackles we are talking about that went against JT struggled against him.
Reply/Quote
I may be wrong, but Bengals are very tight lipped and speculation stories like these rarely pan out. Maybe this reporter is looking for clicks, lots of click bait as the draft nears.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Weird that this came out the same day Trey requested a trade.

I feel like #18 overall plus Trey Hendrickson should get you way up there.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 04:58 PM)Stewy Wrote: Moving up for Latham is dumb as there will be plenty of awesome players at 18, and he's almost always one of them in any mock.  If they're looking to move up only 2-3 spots to ensure Latham, then I might believe it, but if it's a big move to like 9-12, then it won't be Latham.  

My money is on one of the two CB's, Mitchell or Arnold.  The Bengals have no true CB1, with these two being the only true CB1s within a very thin CB class.  I prefer Mitchell due to his production, skills, personality and loyalty to Toledo.

I could definitely see this. apparently Eagles want to trade up to get Mitchell. Either way I think he’s gone before we pick. If he was there at 18 I think 100% the bengals take him. He would start right away, be an impact player, plays a premium position, and it’s a position the Bengals view as worthy of a #1 pick. And in a pass heavy league, can never have enough CB’s.

The more I think about it, I actually think CB could be the pick if he or Terrion Arnold are there. I wouldn’t be upset. Our defense was so damn bad last year and a 1st round CB would play a lot on this team. CTB is good but he’s not a #1.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2024, 04:09 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Trade up is such a vague term.

Reality for me is that they look to move up to 15 and get the OT or DT that they want depending on how the draft falls - we don't need another Billy Price situation.

Yeah, if there is anything to this something like a 3rd to move up the few spots.  My guess would be think unique players like targeting Murphy since he's one of the few DTs that play the run and pass well and has somewhat of a chance of playing NT vs what they have on the roster.  

That or Bowers if he falls to 14 or 15.  I get the Billy Price settle over Ragnow, but I don't see the OT group in the same light.  There should be 3 to 4 solid prospects sliding to 15 and I'm OK with sitting at 18.  
Reply/Quote