Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dan Hoard on the radio- more on freeney
(06-02-2016, 11:56 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: To be fair Dansby also was just on the Browns...

That is fair... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 11:53 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good news for us.

Our offer didn't blow him away but it is better than nothing.

Plus why should our offer blow him away? He would only be used in passing situations.

The offer in the end would be a one year offer and a chance at a SB.

Falcons don't seem to be that interested and are in more of a rebuild mode.

I doubt he ends up with us at this point.  I think he ends up back in Arizona.   They are a contender and even if they offer even less than us he has a lot of connections there.

I have no idea what we offered but it apparently wasn't enough.   If a guy leaves here without a contract it almost always means they won't be in stripes.

Hope I'm wrong.   I think he'd bring a significant upgrade to our defense that would make us very dangerous.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 02:54 PM)3wt Wrote: I doubt he ends up with us at this point.  I think he ends up back in Arizona.   They are a contender and even if they offer even less than us he has a lot of connections there.

I have no idea what we offered but it apparently wasn't enough.   If a guy leaves here without a contract it almost always means they won't be in stripes.

Hope I'm wrong.   I think he'd bring a significant upgrade to our defense that would make us very dangerous.

I thought AZ was letting him test the market because they've gone above and beyond adding pass-rushers this off-season.

Here is what Cardinals fans are saying about it:

http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?71262-Freeney-to-Bengals
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 11:52 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Did anyone tell him how sure fans on this message board are that this is the place to get a ring?  It would actually be pretty interesting to see which teams NFL players see as the "places to go if you want to get a ring" the places where "you go if you want to get overpaid since you'll be on a terrible team" and where the Bengals would rank on that list.

This would be interesting.  Yes, this is an extremely talented team, but it is also a franchise that has not won a playoff game since some of these players were in diapers or not even yet born.  I have a hard time believing Cincinnati is the premiere destination to get a ring before retirement.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 03:20 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: This would be extremely interesting.  Yes, this is an extremely talented team, but it is also a franchise that has not won a playoff game since some of these players were in diapers or not even yet born.  I have a hard time believing Cincinnati is the premiere destination to get a ring before retirement.

Right, you hear people talking about getting a ring regarding the Patriots, the Steelers, the Packers, and some other rotating list of teams on a yearly basis (the Colts, Broncos,  and Cardinals have been popular "ring destination" mentions lately), but I haven't heard anyone mention Cincinnati much in this case.

I will say that we also need to recall we have been making the playoffs like crazy BUT for a long time Cincinnati was a "You'd better get extra cash to play there" sort of destination due to low-end facilities and chintzy processes.  It's clear parts of that are changing, but it wouldn't surprise me if players are still wary of this franchise.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 03:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right, you hear people talking about getting a ring regarding the Patriots, the Steelers, the Packers, and some other rotating list of teams on a yearly basis (the Colts, Broncos,  and Cardinals have been popular "ring destination" mentions lately), but I haven't heard anyone mention Cincinnati much in this case.

I will say that we also need to recall we have been making the playoffs like crazy BUT for a long time Cincinnati was a "You'd better get extra cash to play there" sort of destination due to low-end facilities and chintzy processes.  It's clear parts of that are changing, but it wouldn't surprise me if players are still wary of this franchise.

I'm sure the perception is changing, but I would imagine it will take time to fully disappear.  You've still got guys in locker rooms telling stories of Gatorade and business meetings at Wendy's with Mike Brown.
Reply/Quote
They just had Freeney on Sirius NFL Radio, a recap:

Feels better than he has in 5-6 years

Doesn't want to join a team mid-season

Would much prefer to play in a 4-3 D

95% Chance he will sign this year

Says money is not important as long as not insulting

Realizes it will be last stop so schools, community, ect... important to him

Said he visited Cincy and ATL with know intentions of signing. Wants to respect the process.

Nothing earth-shattering here. My biggest take was how insistent he was a playing in a 4-3. Whats to get after the QB doesn't want to drop in coverage
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 04:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They just had Freeney on Sirius NFL Radio, a recap:

Said he visited Cincy and ATL with know intentions of signing. Wants to respect the process.

Nothing earth-shattering here. My biggest take was how insistent he was a playing in a 4-3. Whats to get after the QB doesn't want to drop in coverage

I'm kind of surprised he would move his family... I would think at this stage they are ingrained somewhere and he would get an apartment or condo for the season.  Interesting.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 04:06 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I'm kind of surprised he would move his family... I would think at this stage they are ingrained somewhere and he would get an apartment or condo for the season.  Interesting.

You'd think something that may work in our favor is our proximity to Indianapolis' He's got to have ties there
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Im still trying to hold hope He signs with us,i just think hed give us more pass rush,and that would be a great thing vs top teams in the playoffs,plus the guy has respect on his name. The announvcers will talk about him and put us in a good light,the refs might call more holdings.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 02:54 PM)3wt Wrote: I doubt he ends up with us at this point.  I think he ends up back in Arizona.   They are a contender and even if they offer even less than us he has a lot of connections there.

Yeah, hope you are wrong too.

From what Bfine says here you might be... ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 04:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You'd think something that may work in our favor is our proximity to Indianapolis' He's got to have ties there

That's what I was thinking. Cincy is what...1.5 hour drive from Indy?

No NFL city is closer to Indy. You'd think that would be where he laid roots considering he was there for 11 years.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 04:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They just had Freeney on Sirius NFL Radio, a recap:

No intentions on signing is weird. Maybe he wants to avoid OTAs. And maybe some training camp.

I think teams may want to wait until after week one to sign him so that his full salary doesn't become guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
I'm really curious what our offer was. Freeney played under a veteran minimum deal last season with sack incentives.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 04:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You'd think something that may work in our favor is our proximity to Indianapolis' He's got to have ties there

That is a very good point.  Assuming his family is still there, he could easily go home on off days and even dinner or something similar a couple times a week.  Much closer than Phoenix.
Reply/Quote

A lot of positive things here - more than I would have thought.  Community is good here and we're close to Indy.  This will be a good defense - I think it will be an upgrade from last year if S. Williams plays well. 

I think he'd be the finishing touch on a great defense

My guess is that our offer wasn't big - but probably not an insult
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 04:35 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: No intentions on signing is weird. Maybe he wants to avoid OTAs. And maybe some training camp.

I think teams may want to wait until after week one to sign him so that his full salary doesn't become guaranteed.

Not sure where you got this from. All he said was his goal wasn't to sign a contract during his visit- meaning he wanted to take his trips and evaluate his options before making a decision. He was making that point so that people don't read anything into the fact that he left town without signing- you know , like how fans assume he's not singing just because the contact isn't already done.
Reply/Quote

We've signed two free agents this off-season- Dansby and Lafell. Neither signed while they were in town visiting.
Reply/Quote
Gonna leave this here .... From an Atlanta sports talk radio girl.

[Image: ZgsLKX3.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 10:42 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Gonna leave this here .... From an Atlanta sports talk radio girl.

[Image: ZgsLKX3.jpg]

Are they being sarcastic?
Reply/Quote