Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daniel Jeremiah breaks down his Top 50.
(01-26-2021, 05:29 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I agree with DJ on Slater, Farley, Sewell, and definitely Pitts.

It’s crazy how much we rave about Sewell, but he needs some work and refinement, I’ve said that the whole time.

I’m sure Slater being ahead of Sewell will make some people upset, but him being the best technician in the class beats raw athleticism here.

If we drafted Sewell, who do you keep at LT?  I actually think it might be wiser to have the massive Sewell at RT.  And I still bet the Bengals take him at #5 if he is there.  While I would really rather have Chase, as I think he is going to have a career bigger than AJ Green, the Bengals generally view QB, OT, WR, and CB as positions that they would take with an early first round pick.  

No way do I see them taking Pitts.  My guess is he ends up somewhere in the middle of Rd 1.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 06:36 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: The sense I get is it is all about the potential.  Sewell is younger (breakout age) & has better size overall size.  Even being raw and young, he still graded as the best OL ever at PFF (for what that's worth).  He has the size, the age, and the production.  People have also used the phrase "once in a generation tackle".

I am not a professional scout so it will be interesting to see the reports over the next few months.

Lot of truth to this.  The Bengals always try to get someone that is not a "finished product", but want the upside and early production to reflect a very high ceiling.   The player on this list that I can see having a HoF-type career is Ja'Marr Chase.  I want him bad.  
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 10:11 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I’m not saying there isn’t reason to be super excited about Sewell because he was clearly dominant in 2 years of college, and at 20 he has a lot of room to grow, and there’s potential to be a Orlando Pace kind if player.

I have a bunch of players I like in this draft, but at pick 5 you really need to keep an open mind. Pitts, Chase and Sewell are my personal top players, but Farley, Slater are really good picks here too IMO.

Pitts gets people upset because if positional value, but he has the kind of elite talent that an offense will want to adapt into the gameplan. He is worth the 5 overall pick because, if healthy and the HC will adapt, he has a chance to re imagine the tight end position.

It's worth pointing out that he only played 7 games his freshman year, not a full season. So he's just played 1.5 seasons.
Given his young age and lack of experience, I think the evaluation will really come down to what Pollack thinks.
If Pollack thinks Sewell is someone he can turn into a Pro Bowler and will be a great fit in his scheme, he'll push for him.
If Pollack doesn't think so, Bengals could choose to go with someone else even if Sewell is there when they pick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 02:53 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Robinson was a big powerful mauler in the run game but was consistently weak in adjusting to speed on the outside. It was pointed out by multiple people prior to the draft and it is easily seen in game tape from Auburn. 

What you see here in the video is exactly what he did at Auburn.
https://www.theringer.com/2017/6/16/16040560/greg-robinson-los-angeles-rams-detroit-lions-offensive-line-busts-dc63ea1482f6

People raving about him have only themselves to blame when there was ample game film to show his weakness. In his defense, he wasn't asked to do the things Sewell and guys today have to do; block on an island against big, strong, fast guys. Auburn wasn't a big 'drop back and pass 30 times a game' team.

Sewell doesn't have those same issues, so there's really no comparison to the potential for bustability. On top of that, Robinson was 22 when he was drafted. Sewell will be 20. Two full years of maturity and development ahead. Being 2 years behind, he's still a better prospect than Robinson was at 22. 

Robinson's lack of ability was what caused him to bust. If Sewell does, it won't be because of that, it would be more laziness from a failure to continue to develop his obvious all-around skills. 

....and Oregon is not in the SEC

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and DJ has concerns

i haven't seen this much hype about a raw talent LT since Greg Robinson.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
DJ's #27 Jayson Oweh I'm predicting to slide to the 3rd round.

Oweh is all traits an no production. Teams that need that starting edge right now he just doesnt fit because he is going to take a year or possibly two to take that starting spot. A team like the Bengals though would be a good fit because he can sit behind Sam Hubbard and possibly Carl Lawson and just be a situational pass rusher.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 12:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ....and Oregon is not in the SEC

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and DJ has concerns

i haven't seen this much hype about a raw talent LT since Greg Robinson.

I know. You've already said that a couple times.

Oregon is not in the SEC but Auburn is and Sewell played against a couple guys that were drafted in the NFL. 

No problem with concerns as Sewell, like everyone else, isn't perfect. He's young and relatively inexperienced. Problem is, you can't really make a comparison between Robinson and Sewell based on hype when Robinson showed obvious flaws in being able to contain speed on the edge and an inability to adjust very well. Sewell doesn't show that same flaw, to nearly the level Robinson did. Everyone misses a block now and then. Sewell is easily as big and strong as Robinson, while being faster and more agile. 

Or maybe...DJ is just covering his ass because so many guys got burned hyping up Robinson and then being embarrassed when looking back and seeing the things they should have seen before the draft. *cue twilight zone music

That last part was obv facetious  Cool

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 10:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If we drafted Sewell, who do you keep at LT?  I actually think it might be wiser to have the massive Sewell at RT.  And I still bet the Bengals take him at #5 if he is there.  While I would really rather have Chase, as I think he is going to have a career bigger than AJ Green, the Bengals generally view QB, OT, WR, and CB as positions that they would take with an early first round pick.  

No way do I see them taking Pitts.  My guess is he ends up somewhere in the middle of Rd 1.  

Sewell played RT in high school, so i doubt it would be an issue. Especially when there are so many top-notch EDs on the defensive left side now. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 10:51 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It's worth pointing out that he only played 7 games his freshman year, not a full season. So he's just played 1.5 seasons.
Given his young age and lack of experience, I think the evaluation will really come down to what Pollack thinks.
If Pollack thinks Sewell is someone he can turn into a Pro Bowler and will be a great fit in his scheme, he'll push for him.
If Pollack doesn't think so, Bengals could choose to go with someone else even if Sewell is there when they pick.

I think people really do need to prepare themselves for Sewell being there and the Bengals passing on him. To many reports of them doing Oline in FA and skill players in the draft. If i had to lay money down, i'd say they're wanting Pitts, Chase or another WR @5. 

'course, that's going to depend on them getting their T in FA. 

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 02:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think people really do need to prepare themselves for Sewell being there and the Bengals passing on him. To many reports of them doing Oline in FA and skill players in the draft. If i had to lay money down, i'd say they're wanting Pitts, Chase or another WR @5. 

I’m absolutely preparing myself for that to happen. And I’m perfectly fine with this decision if they follow through with FA. I’m pretty excited about Pitts being a Bengal. Adding a player that dynamic might provide the identity this team needs other than just Joe Burrow.

But honestly, assuming we pick up Moton or Williams in FA, where would Sewell fit? Do we jam him at guard or Jonah? I feel like Jonah did pretty well at LT last year, and I think he will get better with Pollack and him getting experience this year.

I assume they liked Filo, how was Spain? Would you draft Sewell and stick him at guard, or would you draft WR/TE that’s already elite coming into the nfl?

God, for the fans sake I hope we get FA right. 5 is still up in the air regardless but it would make a lot of things more clear if they improve somewhere.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2021, 05:29 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I agree with DJ on Slater, Farley, Sewell, and definitely Pitts.

It’s crazy how much we rave about Sewell, but he needs some work and refinement, I’ve said that the whole time.

I’m sure Slater being ahead of Sewell will make some people upset, but him being the best technician in the class beats raw athleticism here.

If Slater cracks 33 inch arms, 6'3" and 310 lbs, he's a shoe in for the top 10 and would be well worth our 5th pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 03:19 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I’m absolutely preparing myself for that to happen. And I’m perfectly fine with this decision if they follow through with FA. I’m pretty excited about Pitts being a Bengal. Adding a player that dynamic might provide the identity this team needs other than just Joe Burrow.

But honestly, assuming we pick up Moton or Williams in FA, where would Sewell fit? Do we jam him at guard or Jonah? I feel like Jonah did pretty well at LT last year, and I think he will get better with Pollack and him getting experience this year.

I assume they liked Filo, how was Spain? Would you draft Sewell and stick him at guard, or would you draft WR/TE that’s already elite coming into the nfl?

God, for the fans sake I hope we get FA right. 5 is still up in the air regardless but it would make a lot of things more clear if they improve somewhere.

To me, worst thing they can do is get another guard in FA (only), then go skill @5 and then tackle in rd 2, with whoever is left. 

That is something that i can so see from a Bengals FO, but i'm not gonna think about it until (hopefully it doesn't) it actually happens.

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 02:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think people really do need to prepare themselves for Sewell being there and the Bengals passing on him. To many reports of them doing Oline in FA and skill players in the draft. If i had to lay money down, i'd say they're wanting Pitts, Chase or another WR @5. 

Pitts is my preferred luxury pick, but man I really don't think they would pick him. They would have to make the TE a focal point in the passing game, and I don't think Taylor has the creativity to do it.

My realistic expectation is Sewell, Chase, Slater, or Darrisaw. I could see Surtain or Farley if WJ3 leaves.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 04:04 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If Slater cracks 33 inch arms, 6'3" and 310 lbs, he's a shoe in for the top 10 and would be well worth our 5th pick.

I'd guess he's be between 33" and 34", just like Jonah Williams.
Some teams prefer their OTs to have 34+".

I don't think there's a single OT in the NFL who has less than 33" arm length.
There may be one or two, but they would have to have crazy good technique and athleticism to compensate.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Question 
(01-28-2021, 04:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd guess he's be between 33" and 34", just like Jonah Williams.
Some teams prefer their OTs to have 34+".

I don't think there's a single OT in the NFL who has less than 33" arm length.
There may be one or two, but they would have to have crazy good technique and athleticism to compensate.

They are "predicting" Slater to have 32 1/4 to 32 1/2 inch arms.

It's not just length but also Slater's power in question. He gives up ground initially to bull rush because of his anchor. He does settle down and technique slows it but anchor issue is still there. He is also a not a people mover in the run game more of a finesse run blocker.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 05:00 PM)Synric Wrote: They are "predicting" Slater to have 32 1/4 to 32 1/2 inch arms.

It's not just length but also Slater's power in question. He gives up ground initially to bull rush because of his anchor. He does settle down and technique slows it but anchor issue is still there. He is also a not a people mover in the run game more of a finesse run blocker.

This is one of the most interesting things I've seen so far.  Slater seems to be zooming up the boards and the the Draft Network just had a mock with him going over Sewell, but if his arms at that short he's basically a what?  guard?  huge potential to bust?  Yikes. 
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 05:00 PM)Synric Wrote: They are "predicting" Slater to have 32 1/4 to 32 1/2 inch arms.

If they're that short, it's a no from me on playing OT.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 05:38 PM)yang Wrote: This is one of the most interesting things I've seen so far.  Slater seems to be zooming up the boards and the the Draft Network just had a mock with him going over Sewell, but if his arms at that short he's basically a what?  guard?  huge potential to bust?  Yikes. 

Giving me Billy Price vibes. Stop doing that!
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 09:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If they're that short, it's a no from me on playing OT.

If they are that short he'd make a great Center.
Reply/Quote
Slater's arms might be Joe Thomas short.

Sorta reminds me of Joe Burrow's small hands
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Here's a likely scenario the Bengals could face. Let's say the Bengals address RT in free agency. Sewell and Chase are gone when pick 5 rolls around. Are fans okay with picking up Slater to sure up the interior? Let's say Lawrence, Wilson, Sewell, and Chase are off the board and WJ3 and Lawson sign deals elsewhere.
Reply/Quote