Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dansby and Maualuga Worst Strarting LB in NFL
Dansby and Maualuga are the two worst starting LB in the entire NFL imo.  Does anyone se eit differently?  IF so, which starting LB do you say is worse and why is Dansby and Rey M. better than them. 

IMO Rey M. cannot stuff the run (like he is supposed to be able to) and he certainly cant cover.  Dansby was brought here to play Pass Defense and he is absolutely terrible at it.  he also cannot stuff the run.  Neither LB provides us with any redeeming quality whatsoever.
Reply/Quote
This is hyperbole, mainly from the sheer fact you haven't watched every LB in the NFL enough to make such a determination.
Reply/Quote
I have watched 65% of them and they aren't better than those 65%, I extrapolated the data.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 04:23 PM)CoreyK Wrote: I have watched 65% of them and they aren't better than those 65%, I extrapolated the data.
I doubt you have seen that much, but even so I doubt you actually know what you are really watching. Do you understand a curl/hook zone concept and responsibilities? How about responsibilities for a Tampa 2 MLB when facing an un balanced formation? Maybe explain how receiver count changes responsibilities based on the zone called?

My guess is you understand none of what I just said (like most fans), and therefor are basing your observations off really little more than casual observation of guys running around on a football field. Everyone is free to talk about football here, it's a forum of course, but if you want to decree someone horrible and "the worst" you may want to know what you are actually talking about.
Reply/Quote
Vinny Rey is the only lb to this point that's playing really good fball.
Dansby anything he had left was left in Cleveland
he runs like he has cement in his cleats.
Maualuga simply gets walled by a pulling guard and refuses to try to shed him
both lbs have accounted for maybe one forced fumbe all year
even Vontaze hasn't played up to.par as he is still finding his legs
the other teams best playmakers have simply feasted on the Bengals.....
Forte...Elliot...Gronk....
the Bengals might have the slowest starting LB core in the NFL...,
Reply/Quote
Marvin's biggest weakness IMO is he must consider himself a LineBacker whisperer. He tries to make due without investing in the position.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
To me Dansby is the biggest disappointment on the defensive side of the ball. He was rated as one of the top cover LBs each of the last two seasons and I considered a cover LB one of the biggest needs for our defense.

I don't know how he could have lost it so quickly but he has looked lost in coverage. Maybe he is being asked gto do something different in our scheme than he was in Cleveland, but I thought he wuld be a big boost for our defense.
Reply/Quote
I doubt you have seen that much, but even so I doubt you actually know what you are really watching. Do you understand a curl/hook zone concept and responsibilities? How about responsibilities for a Tampa 2 MLB when facing an un balanced formation? Maybe explain how receiver count changes responsibilities based on the zone called?

My guess is you understand none of what I just said (like most fans), and therefor are basing your observations off really little more than casual observation of guys running around on a football field. Everyone is free to talk about football here, it's a forum of course, but if you want to decree someone horrible and "the worst" you may want to know what you are actually talking about.

I am aware of what a curl/hook zone concept is as well as tampa 2 mlb concept.  In curl/hook zone concept most likely your OLB has curl/hook responsibilities.  Its possible in nickel or dime package that responsibility falls on Nickel back or Dime backs.  Also very possible you can zone blitz and give that responsibility to a DT or DE (though unlikely) although Paulie G likes to use DE in such a manner.

In Tampa 2 the MLB has deep middle coverage.  In Tampa 2 the 2 safeties play outside hash marks left and right deep with corners playing the flat zone. 

What else you got for me??? Im not like "most" fans.

By the way Dansby blew coverage in man to man twice to exact same route (two way go) where james white chose out route vs dansby in man.  Dansby showed how extremely slow and unathletic he was on both plays.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 04:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: I doubt you have seen that much, but even so I doubt you actually know what you are really watching. Do you understand a curl/hook zone concept and responsibilities? How about responsibilities for a Tampa 2 MLB when facing an un balanced formation? Maybe explain how receiver count changes responsibilities based on the zone called?

I agree with every word of what You said,and to add on to your argument I express those same sediments with pff and the people who constantly reference their rankings, I feel you there's no way even some of the most informed observers can be sure or know exactly what every player's true responsibilities are on any giving play
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 05:59 PM)CoreyK Wrote: I doubt you have seen that much, but even so I doubt you actually know what you are really watching. Do you understand a curl/hook zone concept and responsibilities? How about responsibilities for a Tampa 2 MLB when facing an un balanced formation? Maybe explain how receiver count changes responsibilities based on the zone called?

I am aware of what a curl/hook zone concept is as well as tampa 2 mlb concept.  In curl/hook zone concept most likely your OLB has curl/hook responsibilities.  Its possible in nickel or dime package that responsibility falls on Nickel back or Dime backs.  Also very possible you can zone blitz and give that responsibility to a DT or DE (though unlikely) although Paulie G likes to use DE in such a manner.

In Tampa 2 the MLB has deep middle coverage.  In Tampa 2 the 2 safeties play outside hash marks left and right deep with corners playing the flat zone. 

By the way Dansby blew coverage in man to man twice to exact same route (two way go) where james white chose out route vs dansby in man.  Dansby showed how extremely slow and unathletic he was on both plays.

The problem with that was alignment both times idk what the play call was and where the help was supposed to be,I know that most teams have the  linebacker just wide of the de and if the back comes right up the middle that's where your help would come from...the can't expect to line dansby up shading middle and cover a fast back to the outside all by himself that's stupid I blame calling and not dansby if that's what they asked of hi m
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 05:59 PM)CoreyK Wrote: I doubt you have seen that much, but even so I doubt you actually know what you are really watching. Do you understand a curl/hook zone concept and responsibilities? How about responsibilities for a Tampa 2 MLB when facing an un balanced formation? Maybe explain how receiver count changes responsibilities based on the zone called?

The problem with that was alignment both times idk what the play call was and where the help was supposed to be,I know that most teams have the  linebacker just wide of the de and if the back comes right up the middle that's where your help would come from...the can't expect to line dansby up shading middle and cover a fast back to the outside all by himself that's stupid I blame play calling and not dansby if that's what they asked of him
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 05:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To me Dansby is the biggest disappointment on the defensive side of the ball.  He was rated as one of the top cover LBs each of the last two seasons and I considered a cover LB one of the biggest needs for our defense.

I don't know how he could have lost it so quickly but he has looked lost in coverage.  Maybe he is being asked gto do something different in our scheme than he was in Cleveland, but I thought he wuld be a big boost for our defense.

I'm sure that his coverage responsibilities in a 4-3 are much greater than they were in the 3-4 that Cleveland runs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Are you saying that they occupy the two lowest rankings of all linebackers or that they are the worst duo if you cherry-pick the worst two starting linebackers from every team?
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
I don't know enough to pick the worst two, but off the top of my head, the Browns, Saints, Redskins, and Chargers all employ some pretty bad linebackers. I think Maualuga would fit right in with their level of talent.

In a perfect world, Burfict would take Maualuga's position as the two down sledgehammer MLB with two Luke Kuechly-type players flanking him.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 04:23 PM)CoreyK Wrote: I have watched 65% of them and they aren't better than those 65%, I extrapolated the data.

Name the 65% you've watched.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote

you explained areas but do you understand concepts of responsibility based on receiver count and formations and how that can actually turn zone to man or change the zone completely? These change how those responsibilities are played. I will say the knowledge does move you up assuming you didn't simply google it. Understanding how they change based on count and formation is when you truly start seeing who really blew assignments.
Reply/Quote
To get back on topic though. No they aren't the absolute worse, but they aren't great by any means. I'd like to see Vigil get more time as he is going to make mistakes but they will be growing pains.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 05:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To me Dansby is the biggest disappointment on the defensive side of the ball.  He was rated as one of the top cover LBs each of the last two seasons and I considered a cover LB one of the biggest needs for our defense.

I don't know how he could have lost it so quickly but he has looked lost in coverage.  Maybe he is being asked gto do something different in our scheme than he was in Cleveland, but I thought he wuld be a big boost for our defense.

Dansby is a much better cover linebacker in zone than man to man. Guenther plays a ton of man to man coverage with linebackers on tight ends or running backs if they don't drop back into coverage.

In Cleveland, Dansby was more of a zone coverage guy who relied more on instincts and reading the QB rather than following the runner.

He has been a disappointment this far, even in zone coverage, but he's much better in that. Although, he has been our best run supporter this season when it comes to linebackers.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 04:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: This is hyperbole, mainly from the sheer fact you haven't watched every LB in the NFL enough to make such a determination.

Who cares? Dansby and Maualuga are both shot LBs. The shouldn't be on the field. Dansby is another great over-the-hill pick up by the FO. Whoopee!
Reply/Quote
A 34 year old washed up linebacker struggling eh? Who would have predicted that? The signing was garbage when it happened and has proven to be garbage throughout the season.

As for Rey, well, come on... the dude is not good at professional football and it has been that way since 2009. So him being an affront to linebacker play is par for the course with him.

Worst two in the NFL? I have no idea, but you'd be hard pressed, I believe, to find a noticeably worse pair.
Reply/Quote