Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Darius Phillips as a starter.
Since most on the board seem to be anticipating WJ3's departure in free agency here shortly, the Bengals are likely to be in need of a starting corner opposite Waynes.

Phillips has looked not only capable, but very good for the last couple of weeks. He makes some high effort plays, and he seems to have improved the weakest part of his game, ie tackling. Last year he made splash plays, but got burned a lot, too. I'm not seeing that anymore.

The first round selection of corners is pretty pedestrian this year, and the free agent class is not overly impressive, unless you love WJ3, because he's not far off from being the top guy available.

IMO, Phillips's emergence is coming along at just the right moment to keep the Bengals from reaching for a need in round 1 or 2, or spending big on Jackson or a free agent corner. I'd make the spot opposite Waynes his to lose and draft a depth guy in 3 or 4.
Reply/Quote
The only question with Phillips is durability.

He has gotten dinged up A LOT in his short career.

If he can stay on the field, he can be a stud.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I love Phillips game and you’re correct, he’s been tackling well. He’s come up to make some tackles near the line of scrimmage lately and I’ve been impressed by that.

The best thing about Phillips is he has ball skills going all the way back to college. He doesnt drop many INTs that are thrown his way. The WJ3 drop in the Steelers game would’ve been a Phillips INT I believe if given the chance.

I really like the guy to say the least.
Reply/Quote
I like him. They need to put him at PR more.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I remember the start of the season, sitting in Gameday threads as people kept shitting on Phillips and saying he was terrible. Now, end of the season we are comfortable with him as a starter.

This board is a strange place sometimes.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 12:56 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I remember the start of the season, sitting in Gameday threads as people kept shitting on Phillips and saying he was terrible. Now, end of the season we are comfortable with him as a starter.

This board is a strange place sometimes.

People seem to think backup = bad. Not always the case.

I personally loved his resume coming out of college.
-FBS record with 12 return TDs
-Tied FBS record with 5 pick 6s
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 01:01 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: People seem to think backup = bad. Not always the case.

I personally loved his resume coming out of college.
-FBS record with 12 return TDs
-Tied FBS record with 5 pick 6s

I was defending him earlier in the year. People saying he sucked and had blown coverage in the same game he had a pick.

I'm not against Phillips at all, I was just enjoying watching the board flip flop again on a player or coach or etc, etc.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 01:08 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I was defending him earlier in the year. People saying he sucked and had blown coverage in the same game he had a pick.

I'm not against Phillips at all, I was just enjoying watching the board flip flop again on a player or coach or etc, etc.

Yep, I believe that was the Browns game. He honestly had pretty good coverage on some perfect throws by Baker, so people complained.

Sometimes I see people like “that corner can’t cover”, and it’s just the NFL where you can have perfect coverage and still lose. Higgins TD from last week is perfect example. Tee was blanketed and still came down with it. It’s tough being a corner in this league.
Reply/Quote
I like him and I think he will start at Nickleback next season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I assume they will resign Alexander.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 02:11 AM)Joelist Wrote: I assume they will resign Alexander.

They should.  Phillips should be a boundary corner opposite Waynes.  
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 01:08 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I was defending him earlier in the year. People saying he sucked and had blown coverage in the same game he had a pick.

I don't think he was ready to start this year.  I thought he needed a bit of seasoning.  It was disheartening when he couldn't beat out Sims in August.  I can't recall if that was injury-realted?  I think he's proven that he's ready at this point.  

I think the talk of him being a nickel corner is pigeon holing him.  He's shown nothing to suggest he can't play on the boundary of late.  
Reply/Quote
I hope the Bengals keep Alexander. Phillips was a find in the 5th round and if the Bengals decide to keep Lawson over WJ3, Phillips should be signed. Even if the Bengals draft Surtain, I think Phillips will be here next year, if he still wants to play for the Bengals.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 11:18 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The only question with Phillips is durability.

He has gotten dinged up A LOT in his short career.

If he can stay on the field, he can be a stud.

This nailed it.  We never would have known what we had here if not for Dre's injury.  They found a real gem, but his durability is a concern.  We certainly need more depth of talent here, and my fear is WJIII wants to go elsewhere.  He (WJIII) is also VERY inconsistent.  He was amazing against Miami and then disappears other games.  

I wish they would give Winston Rose, someone we signed to a two year contract, a chance over LeSean "my guy is open: Sims.  
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2020, 11:04 PM)samhain Wrote: Since most on the board seem to be anticipating WJ3's departure in free agency here shortly, the Bengals are likely to be in need of a starting corner opposite Waynes.  

Phillips has looked not only capable, but very good for the last couple of weeks.  He makes some high effort plays, and he seems to have improved the weakest part of his game, ie tackling.  Last year he made splash plays, but got burned a lot, too.  I'm not seeing that anymore.

The first round selection of corners is pretty pedestrian this year, and the free agent class is not overly impressive, unless you love WJ3, because he's not far off from being the top guy available.  

IMO, Phillips's emergence is coming along at just the right moment to keep the Bengals from reaching for a need in round 1 or 2, or spending big on Jackson or a free agent corner.  I'd make the spot opposite Waynes his to lose and draft a depth guy in 3 or 4.

Feeling the same. I like WJ3 but not willing to pay a crazy amount on him with his inconsistency.

Phillips is rounding into shape as you said and is a ballhawk with great returning ability. 

He might give up a play here and there and might miss a tackle here and there but he can make up for it with his playmaking.

He just needs to stay healthy as JFK said.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 02:11 AM)Joelist Wrote: I assume they will resign Alexander.

Better, really like Mackenzie. But he is the Slot corner and not a Boundary corner.
Reply/Quote
I'm on the Philip's train too. I really like Makenzie Alexander too...
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 04:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Feeling the same. I like WJ3 but not willing to pay a crazy amount on him with his inconsistency.

Phillips is rounding into shape as you said and is a ballhawk with great returning ability. 

He might give up a play here and there and might miss a tackle here and there but he can make up for it with his playmaking.

He just needs to stay healthy as JFK said.

I think he is still on a huge upswing curve.... He's only gonna get better. Some of the TDs he is right there and 1 little thing different and those are broken up... 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 04:33 PM)Tony Wrote: I think he is still on a huge upswing curve.... He's only gonna get better. Some of the TDs he is right there and 1 little thing different and those are broken up... 

Cleveland game comes to mind....he had perfect coverage, and they just made a spectacular play.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Love Phillips for depth or even rotation to keep CB's fresh perhaps, but no way I'd put him in over WJAX. CB is a tough position, as they all get burned sometimes. Throw in the fact that WJAX has had so many different coaches since he's been here. I'm not saying he's Revis or anything like that, so please don't misunderstand, but I just think his abilities are head and shoulders above Phillips. Phillips is a pro, and just like any pro he knows how to play the game. And at times, he flashes! But other times he has been made to look silly just like any other CB.

What others have mentioned, though, is the obvious dilemma. Is WJAX better in proportion to overall money spent than Phillips? I could be swayed with that argument. But really, I'd prefer to see WJAX and Trae on the boundaries with Alexander in the slot, the way this year was supposed to go. I'd also like the safeties to give WJAX or any of our other corners help over the top. I think that seems to have gotten better as the season has gone on, but in the beginning of the season there seemed to be a lot of facepalming coming from WJAX when he released and there was no one over the top.
Reply/Quote