• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darrin Simmons is looking
For a dominant punt returner and punter will be an open competition

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I still like Chris Evans in that role.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Special teams play has gotten watered down by rules changes in recent years, for a worthy cause in the name of player safety, yet the punt return still remains as an opportunity for an electrifying, momentum shifting moment in the game.

Hard to argue with Simmon's desire for a fearless return man.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 01:18 PM)pally Wrote: For a dominant punt returner and punter will be an open competition

Phillips put the fear of God in me praying he would catch the damn ball.  You're welcome 49ers.... 

[Image: ****-curse.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 01:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I still like Chris Evans in that role.

Evans is ok, but am I the only one who thinks he doesnt play near as fast as his clocked 4.4 forty time?  
Reply/Quote
Bring back the Pac as a punt returner only.... Wink
Reply/Quote
I'm all for great special teams players. But it seems to me kick and punt returning has become less a part of the game over the years. I'd be fine with a player that knows when to call a fair catch and when to run it that also doesn't drop the ball. But again I'm not against looking for a kick and punt returner that has the potential for the occasional big play. I just don't think it is a huge priority given the way the return game has changed and when looking for said player it should not result in passing up on players in other positions of need IMO.

But it's kind of like the wanting o-line players that eat glass thing. Wanting them and looking for them is one thing. Actually evaluating the talent and finding them is another.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 01:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I still like Chris Evans in that role.

He concerns me at times with the way he carries the ball. 
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
I can’t recall one bad punt/kick return from Chris Evans

I also like the white guy back there
Reply/Quote
I would love a new Punter - I don't know his name off the top of my head but I hear there's a good one that can be had in the 5th round
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Trent Taylor was really good, in my opinion. I don't think we need a Devin Hester. Just a sure handed player who won't fumble the ball. If he's also dangerous with the ball in his hands, great. Just avoid the 49ers game situation.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 01:57 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I can’t recall one bad punt/kick return from Chris Evans

I also like the white guy back there

Evans didn't have any PRs in a game, only KRs.

He was pretty solid as a KR.
2 KRs for 58 yards in regular season (29.0 YPR), but 9 for 211 yards in postseason (23.4 YPR).

I would assume from Simmons quote that they would be looking elsewhere for a PR.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 02:08 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Trent Taylor was really good, in my opinion. I don't think we need a Devin Hester. Just a sure handed player who won't fumble the ball. If he's also dangerous with the ball in his hands, great. Just avoid the 49ers game situation.

I dunno if I'd go that far.
While we do want someone who is reliable, it will help to get an extra 5-10 yards on returns.
Maybe though if the offense really does get upgraded, that extra 5-10 yards won't make a difference.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 01:25 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Evans is ok, but am I the only one who thinks he doesnt play near as fast as his clocked 4.4 forty time?  

I don't mean to bash the guy. He has not looked bad. But he has done nothing either in college to justify the love he gets from some fans.

Reminds me of the hype Adeniji got around here. I never understood why so many fans were excited about him.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 02:08 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Trent Taylor was really good, in my opinion. I don't think we need a Devin Hester. Just a sure handed player who won't fumble the ball. If he's also dangerous with the ball in his hands, great. Just avoid the 49ers game situation.

We had that guy, his name was Alex Erickson.  A decent return average, as a product of good special teams execution across the board.  Not flashy, just sure handed with a radar to find the sideline.  Not going to electrify, but also not going to leave you in shitty starting field position.

While that style works, I also like having the dangerous guy back there that is a threat to take it to the house.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 02:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We had that guy, his name was Alex Erickson.  A decent return average, as a product of good special teams execution across the board.  Not flashy, just sure handed with a radar to find the sideline.  Not going to electrify, but also not going to leave you in shitty starting field position.

While that style works, I also like having the dangerous guy back there that is a threat to take it to the house.

Erickson fumbled way too much.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 02:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't mean to bash the guy. He has not looked bad. But he has done nothing either in college to justify the love he gets from some fans.

Reminds me of the hype Adeniji got around here. I never understood why so many fans were excited about him.

Chris Evans had a great freshman year at Michigan, again I ask what are you talking about Fred?

To the OP, I like it. Would love to get a Punt Returner who is a bit like Adam Jones or something alike. I don't know about the 
Returners in this Draft yet, haven't really looked at any of them. Will have to now with what Simmons says. As others have said 
the Return game is different today with all the rules but still if you got a dangerous guy back there he can change the game in 
your favor in the blink of an eye it is a great thing to have.

And you can get them late in the Draft where Simmons gets his picks.
Reply/Quote
Poka Williams may be good as KR/PR. Evans is solid and doesn't give me a heart attack when the ball is in his hands.

WTS, I think Bengals will draft Matt Araiza in round 5 and maybe draft another late round CB to compete in similar return roles.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
This guy can be had in the 6th rd IMO. I'd prefer a CB/WR guy who can fill in nicely if needed if injuries arise.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2022, 02:08 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I would love a new Punter - I don't know his name off the top of my head but I hear there's a good one that can be had in the 5th round

Tiger
Matt Araiza
Reply/Quote