Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daryl Williams getting released
A former board favorite RT the past couple years when he was available in FA is going to be available again.
He's played predominantly RT, but also played about half the season at RG last year.
Bills have officially released him ahead of FA.
https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-release-offensive-lineman-darryl-williams

Looks like another competent RT is hitting the market.
Could he be in stripes soon?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be opposed. He's a good, tough player, and he's never been accused of bribing a sample taker.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This is actually right up our alley I think for a RT option.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 10:41 AM)ochocincos Wrote: A former board favorite RT the past couple years when he was available in FA is going to be available again.
He's played predominantly RT, but also played about half the season at RG last year.
Bills have officially released him ahead of FA.
https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-release-offensive-lineman-darryl-williams

Looks like another competent RT is hitting the market.
Could he be in stripes soon?

As to PFF, he seems to be a decent pass blocker at 72.3, but rush blocking is low at 59.0.... 

Reply/Quote
Get both him and Collins and the right side is in good shape.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 10:49 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wouldn't be opposed.  He's a good, tough player, and he's never been accused of bribing a sample taker.

He's never assaulted a women in public punching her in the face either. My point is yes Collins screwed up, but if I was to compare the 2 incidents, one is simply sick. But, Joe has turned himself around and redeemed himself by his actions. People do learn from mistakes.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Since he was released, signing him won't factor into comp picks next season if the Bengals do sign him which could be a factor.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 10:51 AM)Au165 Wrote: This is actually right up our alley I think for a RT option.

He is only an 8M cap hit and they let him go...?  Are we not lowering our expectations a little early taking one of our AFC rival contenders cast-offs at one of our most critical positions?

I definitely say wait on this guy and see other options, his run blocking doesnt grade well at all.. (PFF I know but still)

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 10:56 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Since he was released, signing him won't factor into comp picks next season if the Bengals do sign him which could be a factor.

I thought of that as well. The Bengals likely will lose Apple and he will get some decent dollars to sign elsewhere (comp. pick), some others as well so we could be looking at cop. picks in 2023, I just hope like in 2022 we don't let the prospect of future picks guide our signings, we need to get the right guys now.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 10:54 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: He's never assaulted a women in public punching her in the face either. My point is yes Collins screwed up, but if I was to compare the 2 incidents, one is simply sick. But, Joe has turned himself around and redeemed himself by his actions. People do learn from mistakes.

The main reason I alluded to the character issue is that it appears that Taylor seems to have a preference for high character, high football IQ players.  I get the line of thinking that says "He should be judged on his play on the field", but does the team really want to make a major investment in a guy who has already gotten suspended in the manner that he did?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 11:02 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The main reason I alluded to the character issue is that it appears that Taylor seems to have a preference for high character, high football IQ players.  I get the line of thinking that says "He should be judged on his play on the field", but does the team really want to make a major investment in a guy who has already gotten suspended in the manner that he did?

He missed 7 out of 187 weed tests and weed isnt a banned substance anymore.  When he appealed that 2-3 game suspension they added a couple more because he told the tester he would "hook him up" if he covered for him in the event he ever failed a weed test or missed one. No money ever exchanged hands or anything like that...

How serious of a manner is this? 

Luv makes a great point with Mixon that reveals kind of a double standard, at least amongst some of our guys here (you're probably right Zac might not have taken JoeM), but what he did is a million times worse but everyone here cheers him on without a thought whatsoever of that incident.

Im actually concerned there may be more than what we know about Collins and that is the hold up.... hopefully not, and we get it done.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 10:49 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wouldn't be opposed.  He's a good, tough player, and he's never been accused of bribing a sample taker.

yes but the real question is he  "glass eater" or  a "Grass eater?" LOL
I keep circling back to this comment by Pollack..he wants alot of NASTY.
I dont know about everyone else but Im really tired of all the guessing...Im ready to see some signings ASAP to improve that crap O line.
They need to make it happen one way or another early on with via trades, signings and then fillin with Draft. Best scenario is we add enough Glass eaters in FA and opens up our 1st pick to a CB or maybe a DT.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 10:59 AM)casear2727 Wrote: He is only an 8M cap hit and they let him go...?  Are we not lowering our expectations a little early taking one of our AFC rival contenders cast-offs at one of our most critical positions?

I definitely say wait on this guy and see other options, his run blocking doesnt grade well at all.. (PFF I know but still)

I actually thought he was a great fit last year before they kept him and really wanted him. They kept kicking him in and out from RG to RT this year which I think has something to do with how he played as it is not as easy as people think it is. I appreciate the flexibility but it's kind of like when we moved Spain all over last year it definitely is a detriment to the player. I think he can give us average starting RT play for a feasible enough price that we can be more aggressive in the interior and also do some work on defense.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 11:11 AM)casear2727 Wrote: He missed 7 out of 187 weed tests and weed isnt a banned substance anymore.  When he appealed that 2-3 game suspension they added a couple more because he told the tester he would "hook him up" if he covered for him in the event he ever failed a weed test or missed one. No money ever exchanged hands or anything like that...

How serious of a manner is this? 

Luv makes a great point with Mixon that reveals kind of a double standard, at least amongst some of our guys here (you're probably right Zac might not have taken JoeM), but what he did is a million times worse but everyone here cheers him on without a thought whatsoever of that incident.

Im actually concerned there may be more than what we know about Collins and that is the hold up.... hopefully not, and we get it done.

As you indicate, players are no longer suspended for testing positive for marijuana.  If his agent and the NFLPA educated him on this then he should risk bribing the person collecting his sample.

Does the NFL collect different samples to test for PEDs and substances of abuse? If they do, does the player know if he is being tested for a PED or weed? Because if he is just worried about a positive test for weed, then he doesn't need to worry about a suspension.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 11:29 AM)Au165 Wrote: I actually thought he was a great fit last year before they kept him and really wanted him. They kept kicking him in and out from RG to RT this year which I think has something to do with how he played as it is not as easy as people think it is. I appreciate the flexibility but it's kind of like when we moved Spain all over last year it definitely is a detriment to the player. I think he can give us average starting RT play for a feasible enough price that we can be more aggressive in the interior and also do some work on defense.

Good point, the bouncing is an issue.  I see the same kind of issue with the young guy Ifedi in Chicago - he is one that might settle into his own if given the chance to stay on one spot (only 6M)

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 11:31 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: As you indicate, players are no longer suspended for testing positive for marijuana.  If his agent and the NFLPA educated him on this then he should risk bribing the person collecting his sample.

Does the NFL collect different samples to test for PEDs and substances of abuse? If they do, does the player know if he is being tested for a PED or weed? Because if he is just worried about a positive test for weed, then he doesn't need to worry about a suspension.

They do conduct different tests.. and he knew those were for weed, Im guessing he popped positive once and thus the 187 more tests.  Keep in mind this was 2 years ago before they removed the ban. I agree no worries on testing positive for weed anymore - PEDs were never an issue I am aware of.  

I have no doubt he was serious about bribing the guy if the tester would do it, but it was someone he saw almost daily, so it wasnt some huge covert plan, just stupid and it bit him in the butt as he was probably going to get out of the initial suspension due to the CBA.... 

Im not saying the guy is a genius, but he is a bulldozer who would have taken Von Miller's head off in the SB for laughing at Joe's injury...

Reply/Quote
Billy Turner also just got cut by GB so options are starting to emerge for second wave guys if needed that would still be upgrades for us.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 10:52 AM)casear2727 Wrote: As to PFF, he seems to be a decent pass blocker at 72.3, but rush blocking is low at 59.0.... 

Go look at 2020, where he posted the following PFF grades:
Snaps - 1050
Overall - 79.4
Pass Block - 80.0
Run Block - 76.9
Penalties - 9 (high)
Sacks Allowed - 3

2017 with CAR was similar to 2020 with BUF.
Williams made 2nd-team All Pro in 2017.

I think especially given the price tag he'll likely command (probably under $8 mill), he's probably one of the best options at RT the team could get.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 12:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Go look at 2020, where he posted the following PFF grades:
Snaps - 1050
Overall - 79.4
Pass Block - 80.0
Run Block - 76.9
Penalties - 9 (high)
Sacks Allowed - 3

2017 with CAR was similar to 2020 with BUF.
Williams made 2nd-team All Pro in 2017.

I think especially given the price tag he'll likely command (probably under $8 mill), he's probably one of the best options at RT the team could get.

The issue is he's only had 2 seasons where he graded 70+ and played at least 100 snaps.
Reply/Quote
I dont think Daryl William's has ever played in a zone heavy system correct? He plays heavy pin and pull similar to the second half of 2019 which is why alot of us were high kn him a few years back.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote