Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dave Chappelle is against affordable housing..
(02-10-2022, 03:07 PM)treee Wrote: Nakedly partisan. You're going to criticize the LEFT for being lockstep ideologically? Really? Main stream media? You mean Fox, the news channel with he highest ratings? Come on Jack, you can do better than that. 

Your response is interesting, in that it assumes I preclude the same type of issues on the right.  They certainly exist.  But right now, the biggest offenders are, by far, the far left.  Fox news is absolutely partisan, but so is MSNBC and CNN.  Only one of them actually gets called out for it.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 05:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: The way I'm reading "affordable housing" isn't = low income housing.

That's actually an interesting point. Personally, when I hear "affordable housing" I think of subsidized public housing. That's the connotation, for me. But the HUD just describes affordable housing as housing that costs less than 30% of someone's gross income.

It's a pretty important distinction to make, and one that isn't 100% clear in this case.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 05:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: The way I'm reading "affordable housing" isn't = low income housing.

I never said "low income" housing, but you just did..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 06:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I never said "low income" housing, but you just did..

Wait, is someone trying to attribute a term or point to you you didn't even make?  I'm sure that person has zero history of that type of behavior and this is just a mistake on their part.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 02:34 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I s**t you not, the plans even had one. Didn't stop them from complaining about it. 

One of the mods of the Facebook group is an avid drone flier and lamented that his aerial shots of the town would be ruined. One example, I know, but still absurd.

I've never heard the term "landscape buffer" until this thread but it makes sense.  Even still, aren't those also an eyesore?  

The fracking setups here in Texas have what i guess you can call a "landscape buffer".....giant walls around the property and they're uglier than sin.  

People try to avoid living next to these things...the same way they don't want to buy a house close to a landfill, or an electrical tower, or a highway.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 07:12 PM)basballguy Wrote: I've never heard the term "landscape buffer" until this thread but it makes sense.  Even still, aren't those also an eyesore?  

The fracking setups here in Texas have what i guess you can call a "landscape buffer".....giant walls around the property and they're uglier than sin.  

People try to avoid living next to these things...the same way they don't want to buy a house close to a landfill, or an electrical tower, or a highway.  

A "buffer" can either be created with plantings, or in cases like what I'm talking about, they leave a defined width of undisturbed wooded area around the perimeter of the site, say 100 feet or so.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 06:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I never said "low income" housing, but you just did..

What did you think "affordable housing" was when you shared the link in the first post?

Maybe your point was to say Chapel doesn't want $150,000 houses only $300,000 houses?

Perhaps I misinterpreted your point in posting as a lot of people think low income when they hear affordable housing.

Don't take it personally.  I choose not to insult people and don't want that to happen even accidentally.   I was more making a point that "affordable housing" is NOT low income that many people don't want in "their neighborhood".
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 06:12 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: That's actually an interesting point. Personally, when I hear "affordable housing" I think of subsidized public housing. That's the connotation, for me. But the HUD just describes affordable housing as housing that costs less than 30% of someone's gross income.

It's a pretty important distinction to make, and one that isn't 100% clear in this case.

That's the connotation for A LOT of people (I would guess the overwhelming majority). And herein lies the problem. It is nearly impossible to find a solid definition for affordable housing. It is generally accepted as housing costing 30% of someones gross income, but I've also read that that applies to a gross income that is 65% or less of the median income for a region. Incomes obviously vary greatly from region to region, so what is affordable housing can fluctuate wildly. This can even be applied to regions within regions. 

Add to that, affordable housing when applied to rents is almost impossible to understand and is often left up to the input and determinations of the HUD Secretary. In the Chapelle's case, are we talking about affordable housing to buy or rent? We don't know. Regardless, just try to understand this word salad.....
https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/NAHA215.TXT

All of that said, the headline written the way that is, is vague. Wether it is done intentionally or not, we don't know. At the very least, it is pretty poor journalism to write it that way.  

So here we are, being left to discussing and maligning a guy over his opposition to something that we cannot even define. It's honestly not fair to Chapelle to draw any conclusions about his statements and what motivated them. Hence, my first post in this thread. 
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 09:53 PM)GMDino Wrote: What did you think "affordable housing" was when you shared the link in the first post?

Maybe your point was to say Chapel doesn't want $150,000 houses only $300,000 houses?

Perhaps I misinterpreted your point in posting as a lot of people think low income when they hear affordable housing.

Don't take it personally.  I choose not to insult people and don't want that to happen even accidentally.   I was more making a point that "affordable housing" is NOT low income that many people don't want in "their neighborhood".

I agree that "affordable" housing not need to intend "low income" or "projects".  Starter homes are a necessary thing in any market, but I think that part of the developmental plan was for multi-family units with the intention of them being affordable to people working in service industry type jobs.  Never did they say they were going to be subsidized apartments.  I think that many just correlate "affordable" with "low income".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 01:37 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: I saw this thread earlier and didn't respond because I honestly don't have an opinion. I really don't know the whole story, nor am I familiar with the town or the proposal(s) themselves in order to form an educated opinion. Knee-jerk reacting to a headline and/or brief article is never good especially when it turns out that it isn't really what you thought and now you're forced to spin your way out of it or (gasp) admit that you were wrong.

That being said, this came across my YT suggestions this morning and provides a little more insight. Take it for what you will, but at least watch it and try to learn a little more....

So far, this seems like the best contextualiztion of the issue.
Reply/Quote
I think one poll of average Americans said most are happy with affordable housing being built in their neighborhood.

Once you go a few tax brackets up, you start to see the opposition, regardless of ideology. The school I teach at used to primarily serve the poorer area of my county (where I grew up). They then built some really expensive houses all around the school and set up one of those livable, workable smart growth villages. Lots of rich liberals, and a lot of opposition as soon as they tried to enact the part of the agreement with the county that said they'd add affordable apartments.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
ya know, I came to P&R this morning to argue about something more meaningful than the loss and all I see are opinions I agree with. If i can't take out my frustration here then I guess I"ll go beat the dog or something.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 10:20 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I think one poll of average Americans said most are happy with affordable housing being built in their neighborhood.

Once you go a few tax brackets up, you start to see the opposition, regardless of ideology. The school I teach at used to primarily serve the poorer area of my county (where I grew up). They then built some really expensive houses all around the school and set up one of those livable, workable smart growth villages. Lots of rich liberals, and a lot of opposition as soon as they tried to enact the part of the agreement with the county that said they'd add affordable apartments.

Yes. Another reason why we should not assume Liberal="Leftist." 
Reply/Quote