Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dave Lapham calling the game
Lap is fine.
Reply/Quote
Before I even opened this thread I was composing a response about how the only reason you hate Lap is because he spoke poorly of Gresham years ago, but you beat me to it.

(12-23-2019, 11:01 AM)bfine32 Wrote:  Most likely why he mentioned how good AJ looked and disrespected Gresh back in the day

But I agree that at times Lapham sounds like Stephen A. Smith with brain damage.
Reply/Quote
As much as I respect Munoz and Keels, they are far worse to listen to during the preseason than games. Almost unbearable.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
By far the worst I've heard was the woman we had calling the game on tv a couple of weeks ago and Chris Simms, who cannot pronounce Bengals.... I understand when you are out of the playoff runnings, you get the worst announcers calling your game, but you would think it would be part of the network gig that you learn how to pronounce the players names on the teams you are getting ready to announce. Not that hard.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 02:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Lap's forgotten more about football than anyone on this board has ever known. Anyone can have a brain fart....

Obviously, he doesn't based on he and his partner both NOT knowing the OT rules for like 7 minutes and slamming the dolphins non-stop.....You can call it a brain far but it's brain diarrhea...
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 03:13 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Obviously, he doesn't based on he and his partner both NOT knowing the OT rules for like 7 minutes and slamming the dolphins non-stop.....You can call it a brain far but it's brain diarrhea...

He played all 5 positions on the Oline. I suspect he knows the game.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 03:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He played all 5 positions on the Oline. I suspect he knows the game.

I'd much rather he know the rules of the game...Ya think?
Reply/Quote
rather have Johanson back in place of Hoard. Had better excitement and voice inflections. Hoard is like a latter day Phil Samp....just blaaahh
Reply/Quote
Only thing I don't like about them is they'll make a 2 yard gain sound like a 20 yard gain and get your hopes up.

"3rd and 6. Dalton in the shotgun. Has time. Over the middle. CAUGHT! Boyd, jukes a defender.. Down to the 35 yard line....... 4th and 4"...

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 04:38 PM)jj22 Wrote: Only thing I don't like about them is they'll make a 2 yard gain sound like a 20 yard gain and get your hopes up.

"3rd and 6. Dalton in the shotgun. Has time. Over the middle. CAUGHT! Boyd, jukes a defender.. Down to the 35 yard line....... 4th and 4"...

This is so true.  I hate listening because if I can't see what's going on my heart goes through a roller coaster. 
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 02:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Before I even opened this thread I was composing a response about how the only reason you hate Lap is because he spoke poorly of Gresham years ago, but you beat me to it.

But I agree that at times Lapham sounds like Stephen A. Smith with brain damage.

How the hell does one do that? 

Who knows maybe I didn't beat you to it. Perhaps you were composing a response last night before I even made the thread. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I like them. I didn’t think Nuxhall was the best color guy but I liked him also. Announcers are kinda like music. As said above to each his own ?
Reply/Quote
Dalton back to pa--OOOH...goes deep to AARHGHGUU who is BLAAARGH at the AAAARUGH yard line for the ORRRGHH for a WOOOOOOOORRRGH!!!

All joking aside, when Lap starts making his guttural screams over the play by play and I'm just listening I find myself trying to judge what is going on based up on his inflection. Was that yelp Lap made after the pass a good yelp and we caught it or is it an agonized yelp which means it was intercepted? Even when the former player color guys get hyped up and yell they usually keep quiet during the actual plays. I'm more used to hearing people scream over the play by play when it is some non-broadcaster guest who is in the booth temporarily.
Reply/Quote
I rarely listen to the game on radio. Probably been years, but I remember that it takes a while to figure out what happened on a big play because Lap turns into a fan and starts yelling out random syllables.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 10:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Dalton back to pa--OOOH...goes deep to AARHGHGUU who is BLAAARGH at the AAAARUGH yard line for the ORRRGHH for a WOOOOOOOORRRGH!!!

All joking aside, when Lap starts making his guttural screams over the play by play and I'm just listening I find myself trying to judge what is going on based up on his inflection.  Was that yelp Lap made after the pass a good yelp and we caught it or is it an agonized yelp which means it was intercepted?  Even when the former player color guys get hyped up and yell they usually keep quiet during the actual plays.  I'm more used to hearing people scream over the play by play when it is some non-broadcaster guest who is in the booth temporarily.

I love when a play goes seriously wrong (what are the odds these days?) and even before Dan can describe what's taking place, you can hear Dave in the background going "Oh No!  Oh No!"  

Been listening to him do color since the '80s.  I like him.  Madden annoyed me and everyone loved that guy.  So, to each his own.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 12:26 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: That other dude is Dan Hoard, and he is a phenomenal announcer. He's UC's play-by-play announcer in both football and basketball, and has been an institution in this town for two decades. He's actually been in a Simpsons episode (as himself...look it up), and was on Letterman (part of Dave's long running Chuck Machock bit).

Lapham on the other hand is a total clown. He's an F- "color guy", who makes it near impossible to follow the game. It's actually embarrassing to have him associated with this city. I cringe of the thoughf of out of towners flipping on the radio and linking him to to this team and city. And for those that don't know, he's part of Mike's inner circle. He and the Brown family have breakfast or lunch every week, according to Mike.

Anyway, lay off Dan Hoard. Real Cincinnatians love and appreciate him. I'll forgive you for not being from here but he really is a great radio guy.

I like Hoard myself, Lap is a major homer and I understand why some don't care for his way of calling a game.

Still like Lap, but the homerism gets a bit tiring.

Dalton is not the answer and we all know it even Lap.
Reply/Quote
I like Lap. I guess because I don't take it as seriously as some. He's like a big man-child who can't contain his homerism. Sometimes he cracks me up with his corny Lap-isms. He kinda reminds me of John Madden that way. As for Hoard, he's decent but I definitely liked Brad Johansen better. Of course, they fired Johansen for asking a tough question.

Fwiw, I don't pick and choose whether or not I like someone based on their opinions on a certain player...and Lap may have been wrong about some things he said about Gresh, but he was also spot on as far as how the team viewed him. He wasn't popular. That's why Marv said after that season that Gresh was "a man of many many many many many moods" (and yes he said many that many times).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I really don't get the hate for Lap. He's a former Bengal. I usually turn down the national announcers and listen to Lap and Dan. Even with the delay I listen. I was listening when the Bengals imploded in the playoff game against the Steelers. Bad memories there.
Reply/Quote
People love to hate on announcers. Dan Hoard calls a good game. Does several sports well. I do agree he sounded kinda stupid when he was bashing the Fins coaching when they were running the clock down before the FG in OT. Seemed very obvious to me why they would do that. I actually said it out loud to my wife twice before he realized his mistake.

I like Lapham. He’s like one of us fanboys listening to the game. Definitely a homer, but so what? It’s a Bengals radio broadcast. Better than the moron CBS D-team that clearly did no research on the team and doesn’t know the players at all.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I like listening to Lap call the game.

I agree Lap does a good job. Ever listen to the Browns on the radio? The one guy can barely talk.

I am getting really tired of many of this board ***** and moan about everything related to the Bengals. Yes, this organization is probably one of the worst of all time in professional sports. Complaining about Lap? Give me a break. Lap is a staple to Bengal football. He is knowledgeable about the game more than I can say about many on this board.

I was listening to the fourth quarter on the radio Sunday and have no issues with Lap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote