Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dave Lapham calling the game
(12-23-2019, 11:35 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Lap screaming, bellowing, and woo-ing all over the play by play almost sounds like some sort of parody from SNL. Nerdy sounding announcer being drowned out by a former player screaming unintelligible guttural nonsense over him. Frustrating but amusing.

You want to hear bad? Listen to the Indians with Tommy Hamilton. This guy is horrible but all the Indian fans love him. Don’t ask me why. Lap is no where as bad as you discribe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:01 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I had to travel yesterday and listened to this buffoon on the radio. He would give a few around here a run for their money for biggest Andy homer. Most likely why he mentioned how good AJ looked and disrespected Gresh back in the day "Poor Andy, his receivers aren't trying".  The other dude that calls the game with him (that dude's another story; he said something about his step-sister that made me cringe) tried to talk about how bad Andy looked the week before, but the grunting dude was having nothing to do with it.

I pity folks that have to rely on these dudes calling a game. We have to have a former Bengal that can do better than this. NYG have Bob Poppa who is also a National, why can't someone better. Hell, Bob Trumphy is still around.

FWIW: I've listened to them 2 games this year. Our only win and the game we locked up #1 overall. So maybe I should take one for the team next week and listen to these idiots so we beat the Browns.

I love Lap!  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's okay to like Lap if that's your thing.

However you cannot escape the fact Lap has been the target at least more than a few times by national media as being a joke of a homer.

I absolutely have no problem with Hoard. Even the best announcers make errors from time to time.

The whole appeal of silly mutterings and screams from Lapham are an acquired taste I guess.

NFL experience does not make someone a better announcer.

Shannon Sharpe being the top of my list of people I couldn't stand hearing.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 11:01 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I had to travel yesterday and listened to this buffoon on the radio. He would give a few around here a run for their money for biggest Andy homer. Most likely why he mentioned how good AJ looked and disrespected Gresh back in the day "Poor Andy, his receivers aren't trying".  The other dude that calls the game with him (that dude's another story; he said something about his step-sister that made me cringe) tried to talk about how bad Andy looked the week before, but the grunting dude was having nothing to do with it.

I pity folks that have to rely on these dudes calling a game. We have to have a former Bengal that can do better than this. NYG have Bob Poppa who is also a National, why can't someone better. Hell, Bob Trumphy is still around.

FWIW: I've listened to them 2 games this year. Our only win and the game we locked up #1 overall. So maybe I should take one for the team next week and listen to these idiots so we beat the Browns.

Lapham reminds me of dialed down version of Jim Lachey.  Lapham is a homer but not even close to the sheer homerism of Lachey
Reply/Quote
Nothing like listening on the radio and hearing Lap yell over Hoard as hes trying to do play by play.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2019, 12:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I like Lap. I guess because I don't take it as seriously as some. He's like a big man-child who can't contain his homerism. Sometimes he cracks me up with his corny Lap-isms. He kinda reminds me of John Madden that way. As for Hoard, he's decent but I definitely liked Brad Johansen better. Of course, they fired Johansen for asking a tough question.

Fwiw, I don't pick and choose whether or not I like someone based on their opinions on a certain player...and Lap may have been wrong about some things he said about Gresh, but he was also spot on as far as how the team viewed him. He wasn't popular. That's why Marv said after that season that Gresh was "a man of many many many many many moods" (and yes he said many that many times).

What was Johansen fired for asking?

Also, Gresh is my least favorite Bengal of all time.  I couldnt stand him, sure there were far greater disappointments like Akili or Klimgler, but none were as infuriating as Gresham to me.  He was soft, he dropped easy balls, he wouldnt fight for those extra yards etc.  Just one of those guys with immense talent but without the work ethic or desire to get better
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2019, 08:53 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: You want to hear bad?  Listen to the Indians with Tommy Hamilton.  This guy is horrible but all the Indian fans love him.  Don’t ask me why.  Lap is no where as bad as you discribe

I agree that Hamilton is far too excitable but hes far better than Lap

Hamilton treats every run scored by any indians player as if its the winning run in game 7 of the WS.  But the tribe fans worship him
Reply/Quote
Lap is OK, but that guy who sweeps the parking lot on Tuesdays? Total parking lot sweeper!  Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2019, 01:23 PM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: What was Johansen fired for asking?

Also, Gresh is my least favorite Bengal of all time.  I couldnt stand him, sure there were far greater disappointments like Akili or Klimgler, but none were as infuriating as Gresham to me.  He was soft, he dropped easy balls, he wouldnt fight for those extra yards etc.  Just one of those guys with immense talent but without the work ethic or desire to get better

Wow.  What planet are you living on?!?  Shocked

If anything he played injured a lot.  One of his biggest knocks was he fumbled fighting for yards.

I just can't believe what I read on these boards sometimes.

Alternate realities I suppose.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
If you want to talk about former Bengals who are annoying as hell that announce games, Collinsworth. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2019, 01:25 PM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: I agree that Hamilton is far too excitable but hes far better than Lap

Hamilton treats every run scored by any indians player as if its the winning run in game 7 of the WS.  But the tribe fans worship him

I try to like the Indians because of the free tickets I get because of work. But every time I turn on the radio and hear Hamilton I just can’t do it. I do root for the Yankees. I got to have one winning team to root for and I can’t stand the National league but do try to at least root for the reds.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2019, 01:23 PM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: What was Johansen fired for asking?

I don't remember all the specific questions, just that he asked some pretty tough questions during the infamous "no change" presser when we brought back Marv after 2010. Which included asking how long Marv's contract was, which drew the ire of Mikey. Then suddenly the Bengals decide to change out Johansen for Hoard due to "flexibility" that same off-season. Go figure.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I ain't got no problem with Lap, but I don't listen to him much. I tried to listen to him and Hoard this past Sunday by turning the sound down on the TV and listening to the game on WEBN but it was so behind and out of sync I turned the radio off and turned the TV back up, and as mentioned above he's a heck of a lot better than Collinsworth, at least IMHO.
Reply/Quote
The fat kid doing preseason games is the joke he has stories about everything to do with the other team but hardly talks about the Bengals guys. Sounds like he is trying out for the other teams play by play guy I hope he gets the job too cause he is trash. Lap on the other hand is decent at what he does. Can not stand Horde either.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2019, 09:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't remember all the specific questions, just that he asked some pretty tough questions during the infamous "no change" presser when we brought back Marv after 2010. Which included asking how long Marv's contract was, which drew the ire of Mikey. Then suddenly the Bengals decide to change out Johansen for Hoard due to "flexibility" that same off-season. Go figure.
All I remember is that he did or said something that pissed off Mike Brown and he was gone.
(12-24-2019, 10:37 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: The fat kid doing preseason games is the joke he has stories about everything to do with the other team but hardly talks about the Bengals guys. Sounds like he is trying out for the other teams play by play guy I hope he gets the job too cause he is trash. Lap on the other hand is decent at what he does. Can not stand Horde either.

Speaking of preseason, I miss Paul Keels. It would be nice to hear him do the Ohio State games on Saturday and Bengals games on Sunday; I believe he is from Cincinnati also.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2019, 11:23 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: All I remember is that he did or said something that pissed off Mike Brown and he was gone.

Speaking of preseason, I miss Paul Keels. It would be nice to hear him do the Ohio State games on Saturday and Bengals games on Sunday; I believe he is from Cincinnati also.

I liked when Keels called the Bengals games, he has that deep voice.  Pete Arbogast was good, too.  Hell, even Brad Johansen sounded better than Hoard, his voice is just too high-pitched for me.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Yeah I heard the step-sister bit and it was awkward for sure. Don’t mind Lap and Hoard, but they are definitely company men just like Hobspin.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2019, 11:33 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I liked when Keels called the Bengals games, he has that deep voice.  Pete Arbogast was good, too.  Hell, even Brad Johansen sounded better than Hoard, his voice is just too high-pitched for me.  

Keels is a friend of my dads, and I've been around him my whole life, and the only pro job that he would leave OSU for, is the Reds, believe it or not.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2019, 03:04 AM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Yeah I heard the step-sister bit and it was awkward for sure. Don’t mind Lap and Hoard, but they are definitely company men just like Hobspin.

In Hoard's defense, it was Dave (whom I generally like) that said the cringe-worthy comment.  Hoard said that he happened to have a step-sister, adding, "No offense to Mary Beth (or a similar name), but I wouldn't want that" or words to that effect.

With a 1-14 team, you'd think we'd have more pressing concerns than a throw-away line in yet another loss.  You know, like uniforms.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
We really need to invent some new things to complain about. I KNOW! The embossing patterns on the toilet paper at PBS! It probably doesn't have enough stripes..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote