Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Second Home-less
https://www.yahoo.com/news/heidi-cruz-torched-over-apos-105706569.html

Quote:

Heidi Cruz was mocked on Twitter for appearing to suggest that she and husband Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) couldn’t afford a second home because his lawmaker salary is only $174,000 per year.

Cruz, a Goldman Sachs managing director, said in an interview with The Atlantic that she was working 70-hour weeks as the family’s “primary breadwinner.” She said she nevertheless was supportive and “mission-driven” on what her spouse is “accomplishing.”

“I really hope he wins his re-election,” she said of her husband, who is challenged in the November midterms by Democrat Beto O’Rourke.

But the couple would not be “buying a second home anytime soon,” Cruz added in the piece published Thursday.

Her comment was dubbed “tone-deaf” by some people on social media. Her husband’s Senate wage alone is almost four times the $46,000 U.S. average. Goldman Sachs managing directors likely earn more than $500,000, including bonus, according to the jobs site Glassdoor.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Rich people owning 2 homes creates more jobs for lawn care business.

We should give the rich a lot more tax breaks so they can all own 2 (or more!) homes. That is the best way to help the "working class".
(10-19-2018, 03:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rich people owning 2 homes creates more jobs for lawn care business.

We should give the rich a lot more tax breaks so they can all own 2 (or more!) homes.  That is the best way to help the "working class".

Trickle down job growth?

It makes sense. Those lawns aren't going to mow themselves. 
I did some landscaping in my day. It was probably a 60/40 split workforce with about 60% illegal Guatemalans and 40% legal citizens.

The guy who owned the business was a Republican. He was nice enough to let the legal citizens do work on his second home for him and paid them under the table.

Many many honest businessmen like that out there that made their wealth on the blood sweat and tears of hard working saps like me. God i wish we had some elected officials that would give these types of guys a tax break.
(10-19-2018, 03:49 PM)Benton Wrote: Trickle down job growth?

It makes sense. Those lawns aren't going to mow themselves. 

All joking aside, doing home maintenance and repairs for the wealthy is a good gig.  When I still did tile/stone/flooring, many of my clients were wealthy.  When say a tile shower floor started to leak in their house?  They didn't wait around for the problem to get worse, they wanted it fixed right now, and were willing to pay a good premium for the courtesy.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Aren’t they required to have a home in their home state, and then of course you’d need something in DC.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-19-2018, 07:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: All joking aside, doing home maintenance and repairs for the wealthy is a good gig.  When I still did tile/stone/flooring, many of my clients were wealthy.  When say a tile shower floor started to leak in their house?  They didn't wait around for the problem to get worse, they wanted it fixed right now, and were willing to pay a good premium for the courtesy.  

If only there were more of then.

The issue with a concentration of resources with a small group is they only need so many toasters. Or cars. Or tile floors. If 30,000 can afford a toaster, there's a toaster industry. If there's only 300 people who can, there's a lack of toaster jobs.