Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense
(09-18-2023, 11:56 AM)Joelist Wrote: They were on the field a lot only because of their own total inability to get off the field. This "defense" made both the Rats and Stains look better than they actually are. Defending Lamar Jackson isn't some secret - mush rush, STAY IN YOUR LANES and disguise coverages. Well, they failed all three of those. Lane discipline was laughable, they got zero push against backups and the coverages were so basic a baby could read them.

This same defense stopped Patrick Mahomes more than once. But they seem to have gotten amnesia on what they did. Lou should be on the hot seat here because his defense is on a track to be NFL record setting and not in a good way...

That has been the case in past seasons the Ravens got a new OC this year and they are using the QB in other ways so having a mush rush just to keep him in the pocket is not going to work anymore.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 07:03 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: It is what it is. He's the leader of the D. therefore, he should carry the blame. He's better than what he's shown. I'm sure he will right the ship, but nobody can or should deny we are missing Bell and Bates. What were they thinking?

Not playing starters in the preseason was a big miss and it's shows. I don't like Zac's approach here. Sure you want them to be healthy starting the season, but you can't go 0-2 every year. Now with Joe hurt, do we write-off the season? I don't think so, but our backup QB's are shit and the D is going to have to win games. Right now, they don't look capable.

This is the bigger issue than it being Lous fault. Of course the defense is going to take a step back when you replace good players with unproven or mediocre ones. 

It's no one's fault but the Bengals organization. They cheaped out and didn't want to pay safety. Vonn Bell got 3 years 22 million. The Bengals currently have 12 million in cap space with a shit ton opening up next year with all these guys leaving. They could have brought back Vonn if they wanted to...they just went bargain shopping.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
After watching how awful Deshaun Watson and the Browns were last night, anyone else worried about the defense this year?
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 11:55 AM)Trademark Wrote: After watching how awful Deshaun Watson was last night, anyone else worried about the defense this year?

No, because Lou will get them together. There's always growing pains when you play young players.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 11:55 AM)Trademark Wrote: After watching how awful Deshaun Watson was last night, anyone else worried about the defense this year?

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

I'm not sure I understand the correlation?
Deshaun Watson had just 144 pass yards against the Bengals.

Run defense though...absolutely it's a concern. Browns and Ravens carved up the Bengals on the ground.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He had a worse game against Cincy than Pitt.

Are we being serious?
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 10:07 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They could have brought back Vonn if they wanted to...they just went bargain shopping.

Maybe not knowing what it was going to take to sign Burrow scared the hell out of them. I mean, best of my knowledge, it's not like we've ever been this generous before in contracts and maybe their just inexperienced? I know, probably a weak excuse, but just a thought. I love the fact that Burrow is signed for 5 more years, but man, when you see the 0-2 record, it hurts a little.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 09:38 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: That has been the case in past seasons the Ravens got a new OC this year and they are using the QB in other ways so having a mush rush just to keep him in the pocket is not going to work anymore.

Yes it still works. The problem is the DL failed to actually do it. They completely blew contain repeatedly, did NOT stay in their lanes and let backups completely school them in terms of pressure. Add in no attempt to disguise coverages and it is EXTREMELY easy to complete passes against us. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 11:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not sure I understand the correlation?
Deshaun Watson had just 144 pass yards against the Bengals.

Run defense though...absolutely it's a concern. Browns and Ravens carved up the Bengals on the ground.

The Steelers got soo much pressure on him.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 12:16 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yes it still works. The problem is the DL failed to actually do it. They completely blew contain repeatedly, did NOT stay in their lanes and let backups completely school them in terms of pressure. Add in no attempt to disguise coverages and it is EXTREMELY easy to complete passes against us. 

That's what the stats show in the 1st post. There were a lot of Ravens wide open.

Our ends got pressure. Our DT's didn't.

And yes, they blew contain.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 02:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Steelers got soo much pressure on him.

Ok.

Well if you look at the actual passing stats aside from pressure, you'll see the Bengals did pretty well.

vs CIN - 55% completion (16/29) for 154 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 67.3 rating, 5.31 YPA
vs PIT - 55% completion (22/40) for 235 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 70.3 rating, 5.88 YPA

Other than PIT getting double the sacks (they got 6, Bengals got 3), Bengals actually did better defending the pass.

Does pass rush need to be improved? Sure.
Are people forgetting Joseph Ossai wasn't available and would probably have helped the pass rush? Probably yes.

Also, Bengals had to worry about Nick Chubb the entire game.
He got injured early against PIT and the Browns had to pass more because of it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I do wish we would have tried to bring Bell back for at least 1 more season. I think Hill can be really good and having a smart veteran like Bell his first year starting would have helped his growth a ton. I know Carolina overpaid a bit for him so maybe we had no choice, but I do think it would have made our defense a lot better than it has played so far. For what it's worth I don't think Hill has played bad, he just does not have the experience or veteran savvy to line others up and communicate what he sees yet. He will get there. Scott has been mid, not bad but not great. Hopefully Battle is the real deal and can start to take some snaps from him.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote