Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Run Blocking and Runners Looked Weak To Me
(08-15-2021, 08:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I re-watched the first quarter. On the play where Jonah got a great block on Chase's catch, he then got away with a push in the back of the same player as he got up off the ground. Gonna have to clean that up or it will get called in regular season play.
That was more of a push in the ass, doesn't count as a back..... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 04:49 PM)Synric Wrote:
Guess that means Quinton Spain and XSF are 2nd team.

It means they know what they have in Spain and XFS. Time for Jordan and the new guys to show what they can do.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 05:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It means they know what they have in Spain and XFS. Time for Jordan and the new guys to show what they can do.

This.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 05:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It means they know what they have in Spain and XFS. Time for Jordan and the new guys to show what they can do.

(08-16-2021, 05:57 PM)Stewy Wrote: This.

Its means D'Ante Smith has earned reps with thr first string. This is saying something because right now the starting offensive line should be working on continuity. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

I think they know they have a starter in Spain but I have no idea about XSF. Is that guy even on the team? I never see him lol.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 03:46 PM)jwalker3853 Wrote: I agree Nate.    I don't think there was much of a chance that we would wear the D out running at them consistently like that in preseason.   Primarily because folks aren't playing the entire game.  

I really hope the balance in play calling sticks around and isn't just due to personnel playing.   Obviously the playbook is going to open up more with the starters in, but I've always been more of a run to set-up the pass kinda guy.   Ball control and solid defense will win a ton of games.   ball control with great defense will win championships.   While I would love to see a super bowl this season, I don't think we are there yet.    I think we are another season or two away from seriously contending.    However, - it does look like things are on the right track.  

After that game I am throwing nothing out of the picture. I expected us to struggle against Tampa and then Washington and get it
together against the Phins with Burrow playing a series or two. We will see how it goes but I am very impressed with how the team 
played against Tampa besides Vogel and Shurmur who are backups that we should cut when the time comes. 

It does look like things are on the right track for damn sure. But who knows, preseason....Gaah
Reply/Quote
I got to watch replay early in morning on NFL Network. So i watching game twice, There Are No Running Lanes. Tampa Announcers mentioned Bengals O Line Problems on their NFL Replay.

We can say they played Super Bowl Tampa. We can say Bengals made some passes. However there were NO running lanes that opened up. This has been a problem of Bengals last few years. NO RUNNING LANE ends up in JOE BURROW GETTING CLOBBERED as Defenses can just go after our QB.

I will look for Running Lanes against Washington. If Taylor can not produce Running Lanes or Wins in 2021, I am all for him not being back in 2022. He was too Pass Happy in 2020 and got Burrow killed passing more than any other NFL team. Taylor better come up with a Running Game so Burrow doesn't throw as often as Taylor had him doing. You throw the ball 50 to 60 times a game, your QB will get killed. Taylor is finding out The Steelers, Ravens and Browns are NOT Arena League Defenses, and you better bring a Running Game.

If Zac Taylor is nothing more than the 1990's Mouse Davis Run and Shoot offense, then Joe Burrow will get career injured. The idea of passing every play seemed good at first in 1990's, until all teams doing it found their quarterbacks injured early and often. It seems these defensive players work for a paycheck also. Teams discovered they needed mix of run and pass or their quarterbacks would get killed. So the Bengals completing some passes but no running lanes will get Burrow career injured. Hoping some running lanes against Washington.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 02:01 AM)kevin Wrote: I got to watch replay early in morning on NFL Network.  So i watching game twice, There Are No Running Lanes.  Tampa Announcers mentioned Bengals O Line Problems on their NFL Replay.  

We can say they played Super Bowl Tampa. We can say Bengals made some passes.  However there were NO running lanes that opened up. This has been a problem of Bengals last few years.  NO RUNNING LANE ends up in JOE BURROW GETTING CLOBBERED as Defenses can just go after our QB.

I will look for Running Lanes against Washington. If Taylor can not produce Running Lanes or Wins in 2021, I am all for him not being back in 2022. He was too Pass Happy in 2020 and got Burrow killed passing more than any other NFL team.  Taylor better come up with a Running Game so Burrow doesn't throw as often as Taylor had him doing. You throw the ball 50 to 60 times a game, your QB will get killed.  Taylor is finding out The Steelers, Ravens and Browns are NOT Arena League Defenses, and you better bring a Running Game.

If Zac Taylor is nothing more than the 1990's Mouse Davis Run and Shoot offense, then Joe Burrow will get career injured. The idea of passing every play seemed good at first in 1990's, until all teams doing it found their quarterbacks injured early and often. It seems these defensive players work for a paycheck also. Teams discovered they needed  mix of run and pass or their quarterbacks would get killed.  So the Bengals completing some passes but no running lanes will get Burrow career injured.  Hoping some running lanes against Washington.

You realize the new outside zone running scheme wont be
Learned overnight right?
Jim Turners abomination of coaching last couple years has 
To be unlearned and Frank Pollack has to teach this scheme
To guys who didnt execute it in college
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 02:01 AM)kevin Wrote: I got to watch replay early in morning on NFL Network.  So i watching game twice, There Are No Running Lanes.  Tampa Announcers mentioned Bengals O Line Problems on their NFL Replay.  

We can say they played Super Bowl Tampa. We can say Bengals made some passes.  However there were NO running lanes that opened up. This has been a problem of Bengals last few years.  NO RUNNING LANE ends up in JOE BURROW GETTING CLOBBERED as Defenses can just go after our QB.

I will look for Running Lanes against Washington. If Taylor can not produce Running Lanes or Wins in 2021, I am all for him not being back in 2022. He was too Pass Happy in 2020 and got Burrow killed passing more than any other NFL team.  Taylor better come up with a Running Game so Burrow doesn't throw as often as Taylor had him doing. You throw the ball 50 to 60 times a game, your QB will get killed.  Taylor is finding out The Steelers, Ravens and Browns are NOT Arena League Defenses, and you better bring a Running Game.

If Zac Taylor is nothing more than the 1990's Mouse Davis Run and Shoot offense, then Joe Burrow will get career injured. The idea of passing every play seemed good at first in 1990's, until all teams doing it found their quarterbacks injured early and often. It seems these defensive players work for a paycheck also. Teams discovered they needed  mix of run and pass or their quarterbacks would get killed.  So the Bengals completing some passes but no running lanes will get Burrow career injured.  Hoping some running lanes against Washington.

The Bengals were 13th in Pass to Run ratio last year, so balanced by NFL standards.  The whole "pass happy offense" take is poorly researched and not based in fact.  
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 10:01 AM)Whatever Wrote: The Bengals were 13th in Pass to Run ratio last year, so balanced by NFL standards.  The whole "pass happy offense" take is poorly researched and not based in fact.  

When burrow was healthy, the offense was pass happy, and not balanced.

When Brandon Allen and Ryan Finley took over, the team started to run the ball more.

Context. Context.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 10:12 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: When burrow was healthy, the offense was pass happy, and not balanced.

When Brandon Allen and Ryan Finley took over, the team started to run the ball more.

Context. Context.

There was only a .01% difference between the Bengals pass play % through the WFT game and their final %(60.49% to 60.48%).

Seriously, can folks just stop making stuff up?
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 10:50 AM)Whatever Wrote: There was only a .01% difference between the Bengals pass play % through the WFT game and their final %(60.49% to 60.48%).

Seriously, can folks just stop making stuff up?

pass attempts for teams up until the Burrow injury

Bengals ranked 2nd.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/pass-attempts-per-game?date=2020-11-22 here's a link too

Just zip it up, pal. Pack it up.
Reply/Quote
Rushing average of 3.3 is nothing to get too excited about but I felt Evans made some nice moves and was effective in passing game also.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 10:55 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: pass attempts for teams up until the Burrow injury

Bengals ranked 2nd.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/pass-attempts-per-game?date=2020-11-22 here's a link too

Just zip it up, pal. Pack it up.

Pass Attempts is a poor measure for a number of reasons.  First, the Bengals were 12th in ToP.  If you have the ball more, you're going to run more plays, on average.  Second, that number is inflated by the Bengals playing an extra quarter in Philly.  

Second, you're claiming they ran more at the end of the year due to Burrow's injury, but fail to account for the team running less due to Joe Mixon's injury, which happened earlier in the year.  Not to mention cold weather teams in open air stadiums tend to run the ball more often towards the end of the year.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 07:48 PM)Synric Wrote: Its means D'Ante Smith has earned reps with thr first string. This is saying something because right now the starting offensive line should be working on continuity. 

That's my concern also.   There have been enough questions about everyone that they have to devote too much time to finding the best players for the position, taking time away from building that continuity.   Hope they figure it out soon, and that their final decision is good enough to roll with for the season - including depth.  

A pretty big ask it seems...
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 09:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: After that game I am throwing nothing out of the picture. I expected us to struggle against Tampa and then Washington and get it
together against the Phins with Burrow playing a series or two. We will see how it goes but I am very impressed with how the team 
played against Tampa besides Vogel and Shurmur who are backups that we should cut when the time comes. 

It does look like things are on the right track for damn sure. But who knows, preseason....Gaah

I agree.   I expected a poor showing against Tampa and to be reading / watching the board melt down afterwards.   What was saw wasn't perfect by any means, but was progress over last year.  

Still, it's preseason.   So, it's anyone's guess.    Good be good.   Could be bad still.    Hard to say.   At this point, it looks better.   Will see what my thoughts are after this weeks game.  
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 12:49 PM)jwalker3853 Wrote: I agree.   I expected a poor showing against Tampa and to be reading / watching the board melt down afterwards.   What was saw wasn't perfect by any means, but was progress over last year.  

Still, it's preseason.   So, it's anyone's guess.    Good be good.   Could be bad still.    Hard to say.   At this point, it looks better.   Will see what my thoughts are after this weeks game.  

Yes, we will see but man that was encouraging.
Reply/Quote