Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense is a HUGE issue.
818 yards total in the two games vs. the Steelers who were supposed to have one of the worst offenses in the league.

Seriously do yourself a favor forget about the turnovers the Bengals have forced this season. It's a combination of skill and luck I get it.

Look at everything else and you will see this is a bottom 3 unit in the NFL.

5,354 total yards against through 15 games is tied for 2nd worse in the league.

The FO needs to take a serious look at not only upgrading the defense next season but consider if Lou is the guy.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Secondary isn't good. Dax wiped out Turner on the 85 yard TD. Should have been 10 yard throw.

Pass rush outside of Trey is bad too.
Reply/Quote
Look on the bright side. You won't have to worry whether next week's game is on TV or not.. I know I'm relieved.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 09:35 PM)QueenCity Wrote: 818 yards total in the two games vs. the Steelers who were supposed to have one of the worst offenses in the league.

Seriously do yourself a favor forget about the turnovers the Bengals have forced this season. It's a combination of skill and luck I get it.

Look at everything else and you will see this is a bottom 3 unit in the NFL.

5,354 total yards against through 15 games is tied for 2nd worse in the league.

The FO needs to take a serious look at not only upgrading the defense next season but consider if Lou is the guy.

Not supposed to be. They are bad. That’s how bad this defense is.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Outside of Trey and CTB there are a lot of question marks on this defense.

Reply/Quote
They could easily end up last in total yards.
Reply/Quote
Another issue is Tee had a huge game again today without Chase.

Showing he may be worth some major #1 money on another team. Likely going to have to either franchise tag or sign and trade him.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 10:00 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Another issue is Tee had a huge game again today without Chase.

Showing he may be worth some major #1 money on another team. Likely going to have to either franchise tag or sign and trade him.

Garbage time against backup safeties.

Reply/Quote
When they went with Chase over Sewell, they went after KC instead of the AFC North.

Not trying to re-hash that . . . no Chase, no Super Bowl in my opinion so I'll take it, but this version of the team looks the least like an AFC North team.

The LBs are the biggest disappointment. The young DBs have had a few good moments and a lot of bad ones but the dropoff of the two starting LBs is pretty startling considering that there are no changes other than the two starters getting paid.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 10:07 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: When they went with Chase over Sewell, they went after KC instead of the AFC North.

Not trying to re-hash that . . . no Chase, no Super Bowl in my opinion so I'll take it, but this version of the team looks the least like an AFC North team.

The problem there was always that Sewell is only one guy. Watt and Garrett would just abuse the other OT.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 10:07 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: When they went with Chase over Sewell, they went after KC instead of the AFC North.

The LBs are the biggest disappointment. The young DBs have had a few good moments and a lot of bad ones but the dropoff of the two starting LBs is pretty startling considering that there are no changes other than the two starters getting paid.

Watching the last few games I've been wondering what had happened to Logan Wilson. He's taking bad angles and looks slow. Earlier in the year Pratt looked pretty good but lately not so much.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 10:00 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Another issue is Tee had a huge game again today without Chase.

Showing he may be worth some major #1 money on another team.  Likely going to have to either franchise tag or sign and trade him.

He had an 80 yarder on a slant against a busted coverage and was his everyday average self the rest of the game.  
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 10:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The problem there was always that Sewell is only one guy. Watt and Garrett would just abuse the other OT.

No, the problem is that they're 0-5 in the division because the choices at o-line since have been mostly awful and they were drafting db depth(chasing KC) when they should have been reinforcing both lines.

Carman 2nd - flashes of greatness but that's it.
Jones 4th - still in developmental stage, I guess.
Hill 6th - had a couple of plays where he looked really good against Cleveland on the last game of the season in 2021. Nothing since.
-------- productive FA with Cappa and Karras
Volson 4th - force fed to us and kept in there even when he was clearly overmatched and needed lots of help. Has risen to a level of "doesn't suck right now".

Ossai 3rd - miss
Sample 4th - reliable backup now, but this team needed o-line, not another backup DE after signing Trey and then extending Sam after the draft
--------
Zach Carter 3rd - undersized DT in the AFC North . . . looked great against Minnesota, though.
--------
Myles Murphy 1st - incomplete. Had good starters playing in front of him, but starting to get more snaps and more pressure on the QB.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Defense is dog shit as well as its coordinator. Need an overhaul.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
This just isn’t a well coached team. There’s no identity, not one thing you can point at and say they do really well. Just so much inconsistency. Honestly it’s probably leadership from certain players that have given the team the success they’ve seen in recent years and they’ve lost some of those guys on defense. There’s not very many games if any where you can point to coaching and a great gameplan that was responsible for winning games. Lou’s bend but don’t break defense has always irked me but they were opportunistic and made plays when needed. Now they are just dog shit and he’s terrible at situational play calling. The amount of blown coverages and guys wide open on a consistent basis means he’s getting outcoached and the players he’s went after either aren’t good or have regressed.
Reply/Quote
I've been giving Lou a pass based on losing Bates and Bell. But the Steelers lost all their safeties and some DBs and LBs and were using players just brought up from the practice squad and they dominated.

Well, on the bright side, there was so much pushing of Lou to get a head coaching job, but I can't see a team hiring him with the Bengals dismal defense this year. How would you sell him to your fanbase? So, I think there will be another year of stability among the Bengals defense coaches. I still think Lou can do a good job, so I would not mind some stability. I mean, last year the board was worried he'd be poached.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 11:40 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: This just isn’t a well coached team.   There’s no identity, not one thing you can point at and say they do really well.   Just so much inconsistency.   Honestly it’s probably leadership from certain players that have given the team the success they’ve seen in recent years and they’ve lost some of those guys on defense.   There’s not very many games if any where you can point to coaching and a great gameplan that was responsible for winning games.  Lou’s bend but don’t break defense has always irked me but they were opportunistic and made plays when needed.  Now they are just dog shit and he’s terrible at situational play calling.   The amount of blown coverages and guys wide open on a consistent basis means he’s getting outcoached and the players he’s went after either aren’t good or have regressed.

Like clockwork. Where you been the last three weeks?  LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2023, 10:07 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: When they went with Chase over Sewell, they went after KC instead of the AFC North.

You think the Bengals... drafting 5th... took a player tobgo after thebbest team in the league who isn't inntheir division?

Revisionist history. You're connecting dots that aren't there. The LBs are all hood players. Lou's scheme has massive zone holes in it and is giving easy completions. In a pass heavy league, it's not working because the Bengals get no pressure. NFL zones onlywork with pressure so the QB gets off schedule. Bengals QBs are sittkng back picking Lou's zone apart. Tough ti ask the LBs to work in that.
Reply/Quote
Obviously an incredibly bad effort against the Steelers this season. Same against the Titans. Both really bad offences who dominated our defence.

Obviously we've had some big injuries on defence, but like said, good units can make it work with less experienced guys. We havent handled anyone on defence this year, have to ask some serious questions about the regression this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 08:35 AM)PDub80 Wrote: You think the Bengals... drafting 5th... took a player tobgo after thebbest team in the league who isn't inntheir division?

I don’t always agree with Vinyl, but he’s right on this one. I absolutely believe the Bengals had teams like the Chiefs and Bills in mind when they drafted Chase.

Nate Burleson said the same thing at the time.

“I feel like they weren’t thinking about the AFC North,” Burleson said on GMFB. “I believe that they were thinking about the AFC. They went for Chase because they were thinking about going up against Patrick Mahomes. And why not? If you’re gonna swing, swing big.”

Reply/Quote